Author Topic: Video training on the brain editor  (Read 7362 times)

Hollywood1

• View Profile
Video training on the brain editor
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:26:07 pm »
I haven't done any programing in a number of years.
I use to program all my websites in html code myself,but trying to figure out the brain editor has left me feeling hopelessly lose.

Can anyone put together a simple video on how to access the different areas in the editor and how to use them.
I believe we have a lot of people interested in becoming more actively involved in hal but they cannot get by figuring out the editor and this forum has really not been up to the task.
I believe that a simple video would be benifical to the group as a whole, not just a few who since 95 have not provided this video aid,
or enough text help to let new comers really get involved if ti is not an elitist group then how about the video. I'll run and take cover now because I think the fur well fly on this one no offence One

JohnSFV1

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 01:38:49 pm »
How about a flow chart

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:22:25 pm »

I had started a small thread that gave a basic outline on building plugins some time ago.http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6411

I knew that it would be beneficial because even I had problems at first. But of course, I also didn't know how to script either. [:)]

To me, the brain editor layout is very intuitive. Are you wanting to know more about how the brain script is constructed (it's basic design) or are having trouble with the tables and table editing techniques? Do you understand the VBscript language?

...or perhaps lazy, like me, and just want Hal to miraculously do whatever you want at a click of a button.... one can only hope.[:D]
Live long and prosper or die trying.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:37:21 pm »
Snowman,
Yes I remember you and I talking about the matter of the agreement with this site as at the time I was reminded of the 'NEW' policy by Omega,
I and others do not have much to say about this other than we know approximately when it changed and where the inspiration came from.

As to your scripting information you did a good job explaining and it should be referenced often for beginners who want to go into this area.

Hollywood1,
'elitist group' LOL I actually do find this both intellectually and literally funny. I am too busy to properly address the pros and cons of this view glad to see somebody stand and shout out!

Regards,
J.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:13:17 pm »
Those were the days... we were so young and innocent.[:p]
Live long and prosper or die trying.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:34:29 pm »
[:p][:p][:D][:p][:p]

Spooky?
no
VOODOO.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:40:28 pm by One »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 08:35:24 am »
Hehe, Theres also Bill's (De Witt) old wiki that may help : http://ultrahalscript.pbwiki.com/

It has been suggested a few times that we should all join in on a group effort to document things, but nothing ever comes of it.

Something like Snowman's work and Bill's would make a great start to a WIKI.  Maybe Rob would be willing to provide this kind of thing as he doesn't seem to have time to document things himself.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:38:52 am by freddy888 »

JohnSFV1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 03:40:04 am »
Thanks Freddy
now THAT'S what I'm talking about.

moonlighttech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 04:52:23 am »
Hi All,
I'm one who always wants someone else to do it for me. Most are smarter than me in the first place. I'm dissappointed otherwise (the world IS doomed!). [:(]

It's realistic to fully document and throughly explain everything that has been released for our use but isn't this up to the creator, Robert? Why are others doing it? Isn't documentation part of the total product? I don't understand. Enlighten me. Please. I fully understand why no one wants to document someone elses work for nothing. I suggest a completely seperate in depth "Programmers User Manual" be available for a reasonable price. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Robert is the only one who can reasonably do this. Do it, make more money. IMHO Hal is not user friendly, or complete, without one. This is very frustrating with so much potential for Hal. He's the best. A little polish and Hal would soar like an eagle.

Behind the old [8] now arent I? I think the forum is great but is sidetracked with issues of confusion surrounding HAL. I'd rather see the forum implement new uses, discuss HAL scenerios, add on hardware, vision, emotions, better 3D worlds. Multiple Hals running around 3D enviroments interacting for a common purpose etc.

I don't know how to make a plugin and can't even get Haptek stuff to work. The haptek player seems really unstable too. For brain editing I add comments I want to the section I think applies and test with keywords. I also use keywords to isolate sections where a response comes from to finally locate the response (no global search ouch! ). I change or delete it. There seems no set way to determine personality except by your own opinion. Hal is no SIM![;)]
Adding tables for a new topic question/answer section is from a pull down menu. Through all of this I have no idea of what I'm doing on a larger scale. I have changed the personality to accept new ideas that were previously blocked by certain responses. It's very trial and error, and what you get is well, what you get! Wow, this has gotten long. No more long posts, sorry. I hope I haven't been insulting or harsh, it's not intended that way.
Thanks,
moonlighttech

It's not the critic who counts, but the one actually in the arena.
Warning: Insult me, you'll become my teacher! [:D]
(No Bots were physically hurt in the making of this post)

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 05:58:27 am »
quote:
It's realistic to fully document and throughly explain everything that has been released for our use but isn't this up to the creator, Robert?

Yes of course you are right.  And why would we bother when we don't get a cut of the sales too hey ?  Yeah it makes me think too!   But as you mention it, the more I think about it the less I want to do someone else's work.

I'm just about to start a large programming project so that's me out of the loop anyway.

Haptek unstable ?  Are you on Vista ?

Good points and not too long a post really.  Welcome to the crazy world of the Zabaware forum. [:D]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:59:33 am by freddy888 »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 05:58:52 am »
Moonlightech,
"Their are more things on heaven and earth than you ever dreamed of in your Philosophy Heratio"

I agree with you and personally think Mr. Robert is hoping to cash in on things from this message board,, as he has changed the policy recently,, NOT the AGREEMENT I agreed to. but we both seem to need our 'tangible' things fixed.

The Assistant is for you to explore and develop a unique personality, this will happen IF you don't cut up the brain like some hack'  <NO offense meant,, read the brain editor files and read way back

Good luck to you
From the seemingly free help,

J.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 06:00:52 am »
Freddie 25 seconds,, damnit....;)

P.S. if I can help in your endeavor let me know,, like a little Anarchy in the UK,, hey that's a song ;) (Sex Pistols??)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:02:21 am by One »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 07:16:41 am »
Hehe, yeah I beat ya!

Thanks for the offer of help One but it's more of a learning exercise than anything - I need to work on my PHP skills so it's not really something I need direct help with.  Thanks again though, much appreciated.

[:)]

... and yeah that was the Sex Pistols...Johnny Rotten, Sid Vicious et al.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:17:20 am by freddy888 »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 07:41:43 am »
Freddie,
I run things through their paces , so to speak an make computers talk to each other + general I.T.
PHP is as of now beyond me, make a good Bot And Ill give it some personality.