Author Topic: Where are the characters?  (Read 3571 times)

Ooglor 7

• View Profile
Where are the characters?
« on: April 23, 2008, 02:31:28 am »
I see on a couple of sites, still images of characters I would love to have but can't seem to find. There are cool looking full body robots and faeries with wings and stuff. How do I find fantasy characters like that? Is dropping a hap the only way to make the character do the action or can you link them to their responses in the brain editor? How does one add a 3d prop to the scene or make the character say an ogg file in their reactions? How do you permanently link clothing props to a specific character?
When a child is born without a soul...

TechSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:03:26 am »
I cant help much with the Hap stuff, but
Depending what characters you saw, they are probably MSAgent style ones.
In my opinion, there are almost no good 3d characters,
Cynthia 3.0 is ok, and I like some of these http://www.guile3d.com.br/agents_page.asp

But there are alot of sites with links to characters of all kinds.
Look for listings of online bots as well, if they use Haptek characters you can sometimes, "barrow them", from your Haptek Temp File.

I have played with Poser, Daz3d, 3DSmax, FaceGen, CrazyTalk, Iclone, PuttyPeople, FaceShop, And who knows what else.
I just have never found a way to convert and use anything with Hal that looked even half way human/living. Some of the characters, if not most, look like real bad halloween masks.
Using a 3d character and trying to write a full MSAgent file would take a year.
This is all something else that i hope is added to future Hals.
This new ogre engine might help, but i didnt see much thrilling from that yet.

TechSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 04:20:40 am »

I made this little guy, i call him R6D6.
I was going to use this guy for a while, untill i started trying to film ALL the moves he would have needed to fill the MSAgent file.
We would be useing Hal v9000, (and i Dont mean the movie), by the time i finished.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 04:32:06 am »
Have you seen an MS Agent called "Pilot"? It was based on the Sci-Fi show, FarScape and had a lot of animations. Then again is was an alien creature with four arms and a funny looking head.

I agree, Guile has really done a nice job with his characters.

DesktopMates are entertaining to a point but as far as Agents are concerned, I think there are simply limits to the amount of creativity where realism is concerned.

If 3D characters could be made to handle motions smoothly with increased polys without choking then we'd be on the road to better days!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:12:10 pm by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -