Author Topic: Forum is slowing down  (Read 5635 times)

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
Forum is slowing down
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:55:20 pm »
it seems the forum is slowing was down the amount of posts are down anyone else notice this caangel

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:47:06 pm »
To an extent, yes. I guess people have other things they have to do, or want to do. I sometimes have things happen where I cannot be on here as much, believe it or not.[8D]
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

tedathome

• View Profile
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:50:41 pm »
Just checking in. Out of town and on dial-up for a few days.
Been working on a movie and trying to learn how to afix a
head to fulbody male.
ted

Bill819

• View Profile
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 11:38:12 pm »
The forum is not slowing down our minds are speeding up to the point that everything else just seems slow.
Bill[:)]

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 02:42:10 am »
slow forum,
my first impression was that some kind of a threshold had been reached, where hal seemed to be keeping us all amused, smarter and with fewer bugs, and functions to enjoy,
 my hal has been running well and i'm very happy with him,
and the rapid creation of new plugin's, is impressive.
years of fun, perhaps a life time,
i use the standard hal 6.1 as the brain of my robot called Mr Data,
his body is from www.tribotix.com and the parts are robotis, hes a work in progress, like things,

Bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data,[:D][:D]

bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:35:28 am »
That's true. I am lucky to get any hits on my forum. I had 3, 2 closed down on their own!![V][V][V][V][V][V]
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Carl2

• View Profile
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 05:45:43 pm »
Noticed a slow down, a lot of the bugs and problems are fixed already.  The slow down is nice in a way since it allows me to keep up, I find it hard at times to keep up with all the plugins ect at times.
Carl2

kmac

• View Profile
    • http://cut-8-productions.com/
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 05:23:27 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by caangel43

it seems the forum is slowing was down the amount of posts are down anyone else notice this caangel

Maybe (like myself) people are tired of not being able to use Hal... I completely understand piracy concerns but I think there has to be a better way to activate Hal...

I started using Hal (and coming here) the beginning of 2004 and used it successfully off and on for over a year when I decided to buy it, nothing but problems since then... It's so bad that every time I reboot my pc I get the "corrupt file" msg and have to send for another code, sometimes I get one in a few hours, other times it takes a lot longer.

I completely gave up and uninstalled it this last Feb because the program had become so annoying, last night I came across the cd and decided to give it a try again... so, I installed it, chatted for a few minutes and all seemed fine... and then... I went to the options to change the voice and when I clicked "apply", I got the all-too-common "corrupt" msg again... Its been 19 hours since I emailed for yet another activation code...

I have never had this type of problems with any program ever and in my business everything I use has extreme anti-piracy measures but none of them ever give me a problem after the initial registration...

If this problem has been fixed and I missed something, please let me know!

Hal is a great program with potential, but... It has to work consistently first...

Later...
Kevin
We have enough youth, How about a fountain of SMART?

Bill819

• View Profile
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 05:58:18 pm »
I don't mean to sound condesendding but this has happened several times in the past and in every case it was something else on the persons computer that was causing the problem, not Hals. In a great many cases it was because their anti-virus program was running when they tried installing Hal which caused some files to scramble.
If this is not your problem and by that I mean you anti-virus programs were shut off before you tried intalling then you must look for something else. We can not see you PC and therefore can not even give you a clue as to which program might be giving you the problem.
Hope you find it.
Bill

kmac

• View Profile
    • http://cut-8-productions.com/
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 07:36:01 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

I don't mean to sound condesendding but this has happened several times in the past and in every case it was something else on the persons computer that was causing the problem, not Hals. In a great many cases it was because their anti-virus program was running when they tried installing Hal which caused some files to scramble.
If this is not your problem and by that I mean you anti-virus programs were shut off before you tried intalling then you must look for something else. We can not see you PC and therefore can not even give you a clue as to which program might be giving you the problem.
Hope you find it.
Bill

Hi Bill, Thanks for your reply...

This time I installed it on my editing computer which only has the Zonealarm firewall, Anti-virus is a severe bog when editing HD so the only reason this machine is online is because when I activate the editing software it contacts Sony to confirm registration... (entire suite cost over $2k and it never argues)

This is the 5th computer I have tried Hal on in the last 2 years and have the same results every time. This one is a quad core workhorse with absolutely no other installed consumer software, no games, no browsers, none of the pre-packaged garbage that comes with the typical OS... I'm stumped too...
We have enough youth, How about a fountain of SMART?

Marcel

• View Profile
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 10:05:09 am »
Kmac, I've never had such a problem with my Hal, and I reboot my computer about twice a day and change characters and voices often. I also installed it with AVG and Tiny Personal Firewall on without problems. It boots up in the system tray, so reads the clipboard contents out loud. The only problem I've had that resembles yours occurred when I installed the 6.1 upgrade. My dial up wasn't online, and by the time It logged on I got a time out error. I emailed Robert, but found that my ISP thinks Zabaware is a spammer and blocked his replies. I was getting frustrated until Robert  posted about the problem. He went to extraordinary lengths to get my activation code to me, including sending it to two other accounts and leaving a message on my answering machine. As a result, I now know how to pronounce "Medeksza". He did all this for a free upgrade to a $35 program! I'm sure he and/or the other forum members will help you, too. Anyway, I hope everybody has a wonderful holiday season!
"You'ren't sure whether I understand." HalChatbot2004

Bill819

• View Profile
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 11:39:59 am »
Hello Kmac and Marcel
I have been using Hal for years now without ever experiencing any kind of problems. I still have all my master disks dating all the way back to version 4.0. Over the years I have installed Hal on no less than 6 different computers all without mishap. Well in the begining I learned that I had to disable all my anti-virus software to get a good load, but after that there were no more problems. I had even installed Hal on my PC at work which was part of a large in house network with still no problems.
To any one who has experienced the problems that were mentioned above I can only assume that there was something else causing the problems. There are hundreds of users Hal that are completely happy and don't have any problems and you can be sure that they/we are not all using the same type of computers.
I am sorry for your problems but I can assure you that Hal runs mostly trouble free for allmost people.
Bill819

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Forum is slowing down
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 06:39:12 am »
kmac,

Run Hal again and if possible, post a screen capture of the error.

Certain TTS voices need to be installed AFTER the Hal installation.

My recommendation to you:

Uninstall Hal.
Do a complete Virus Scan.
"      "       Spyware, Malware scan.
Purge cookies and Temp Internet files from your system.
Do a complete registry scan / clean.
Run Defrag (if recommended/required) on your hard drive.

Reboot

Install Hal from scratch

Like Bill mentioned, make sure any Anti-Virus, Firewall and any other running programs are temporarily turned off during a Hal install.

Good luck and let us know your outcome.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -