dupa

Author Topic: Working with Haptek  (Read 7872 times)

Carl2

• View Profile
Working with Haptek
« on: June 10, 2015, 07:09:50 am »
   I've worked with Haptek for ages and found you can open the character .htr and make changes, unfortunately this corrupted the .htr and it was not usable.  I'd learned Haptek used a B2 compressor and looked everywhere for this compress and uncompress tool and have found one is now available.  The link is    http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html
   I downloaded it last night and put a htr in it and it generated an uncompressed file which I could open in wordpad. I could make a change and save it, when it was loaded in the hap player and it was worked.  I just tried the same thing this morning with Sandy and got  the same good results.  So basically you can change backgrounds, character position, clothing on the character and quite a few other things and have it appear in the hap player.  I've a lot more to experiment with but it looks promising.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: Working with Haptek
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 02:08:29 pm »
what would be cool is if a person could change the settings in hair to make hair custom colors etc. but regardless it sounds interesting what you are doing . :)

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 07:22:54 pm »
Sorry Carl I didn't see this post first before I replied in my thread. That sounds real promising. If you don't mind since you posted the download I think I will wonder off there and see if I can run with you a bit.

Again I spoke without checking. I use 7zip presently. Never for the reasons you explained but at least I'm a little familiar with it.

raybe
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:25:40 pm by raybe »

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:06:56 pm »
  Lightspeed,
That should be rather simple, you'd want to use emptywig or something like that to remove the wig presently used and then load the wig you want to replace it with, a hap could do that for you.  There was a site that had a very wide selection of wigs you could download for haptek.  At this point I'm pretty much just trying to get familiar with playing with these files again. I started with the haptek head Sandy, lots of programing in the .htr which seems meaning less, possibly the wireform or some special software generated code, also haptek hired students from other countries so it could be some langue with different symbols, just skip over it.
  If we can get this thing working correctly we should be able to just take out say the clothing jpg and replace it with another jpg and the same with the wigs.  Raybe, good luck, let me know what you come up with.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 02:16:03 pm »
hi i downloaded this tool you mentioned , but can you give step by step instructions on compressing the hair htr and then being able to open it and change the files to change the hair color etc. ? i use note pad when i open my files . and making txt files .
This would be very helpful for step by step instructions .  :)

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 07:08:25 pm »
Lightspeed,
   From the work I've done so far it seems the tool will not uncompress a Haptek compressed file.  When I try to compress the uncompressed files the resulting file will not work.  The tool says it works for bzip2 which Haptek says it uses but so far the results I get using that tool are useless although I have no idea why.
  Earlier I had forgotten to mention that the vrHaptek plugin contains voice commands for changing wigs

If InStr(vrUserSentence, "black") > 0 And InStr(vrUserSentence, "hair") > 0 Then
   vrFile = "HairBlack.hap"
   GetResponse = "I changed my hair to black"
End If
' blonde is converted to blond by Hal
If InStr(vrUserSentence, "blond") > 0 And InStr(vrUserSentence, "hair") > 0 Then
   vrFile = "HairBlonde.hap"
   GetResponse = "Gentlemen prefer blondes"
End If
If InStr(vrUserSentence, "brown") > 0 And InStr(vrUserSentence, "hair") > 0 Then
   vrFile = "HairBrown.hap"
   GetResponse = "Do you like my new hairstyle?"
End If

I also have the HairBlonde.hap but it is zipped and I don't want to open it using that tool.

I'm not sure but I think you can't just say change this to black hair, you have to empty the existing wig and replace it with another wig htr.
Carl2

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:20:01 pm »
  After trying quite a few things with the haptek character I've come to the conclusion that one of the most important things  is to have a higher poly count in the wire mesh, collision detection would also be nice but one thing at a time.   I've downloaded 2 pieces of software for working with 3D figures, both of which I'm getting a little familiar with.  I've just run across the SDK for haptek which says " DeltaSetMaker – turn OBJ formatted 3d models into Haptek models, create morph sets from many OBJ files".  So we could take the wire mesh from one model and use it with a Haptek character.   I'm not sure why the DeltaSetMaker  is necessary but that is what they say.  Haptek software is rather pricey but in my mind they do have good characters with built in movements that make them seem realistic.
Carl2

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 03:08:57 pm »
I would say that Delta Setmaker just allows the user to import a widely used OBJ file(Wavefront) library used in many other 3D programs. I was not aware of that feature. I now need to check with my wife and see if she has any of her 3D characters in that format. She has been using Poser and Daz but she also has friends that create characters as well. Is it something you would like to try?  I don't own anything from Haptek other than the original player and the editor you sent me, Carl2. I'm sure that the OBJ file carries most of the information for movement and axis where Haptek can then just add skins and other functions, I hope.

Forgot to mention that those files can probably found online. But I'm still going to talk to her tonight about it. Also don't know if there are any licensing problems with just using an OBJ file since it's really the information we are looking for until the skin is placed on it using the Haptek engine.

I know I haven't been around but I'm trying.

raybe

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 03:21:46 pm »
Sorry again Carl2 but I finally got around to reading this page, http://www.haptek.com/products/guide/HaptekSDKTechnicalSummary.html and realized that DeltaSetmaker is another Licensed software as PeoplePutty. Interesting if it stands alone. $$$ also??

raybe

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 09:00:06 am »
Raybe,
  I really got nowhere with the software I put in the computer, The bzip2 compressor didn't work, I'm thinking Haptek was using a mac OS rather than windows which may help explain why things are not working for me.
There is quite a bit to the Haptek characters, breathing, looking at the user, blinking and the list goes on.  We also have the fleshy characters that I like so much, in many ways Haptek is way ahead of the characters being sold to date.
  I just finished putting win 10 into my 2 computers along with win 8.1, not sure where to go next,  Began playing with some 3D red and blue glasses,  also saw a car painted blue and purple, seemed like the angle from which you looked at the car determined the color you saw. 
  The delta set maker, I wrote to someone some time ago at Haptek and never got a reply.
Carl2

DemonRaven

• View Profile
    • chatbotfriends
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 12:42:28 am »
Ya you cant even buy the program to make them any more as most of the links do not work. It is a shame as it did simplify making 3d characters and they are in many ways better then what is sold now.