dupa

Author Topic: Frustration Setting In . . .  (Read 5117 times)

circuits3000

• View Profile
Frustration Setting In . . .
« on: March 18, 2005, 09:13:39 pm »
I am really having a hard time with Hal listening to my voice.  I noticed my other programs work fine but can't seem to get Hal to listen.

I ask the following:

Me: What is 5 times 5
Hal: Do you prefer walking in the woods, or on a pretty street?

Also, I have a few good microphones, Hal's program seems to be super sensitive to them.  I set the microphone up at the lowest possible setting and Hal can hear a pin drop and miscellaneous letters and words will appear in the typing dialog box.

Of course i'm new at this.  I've read 4 of the reading materials to help with voice recognition and am getting no where.

Is there something i'm doing wrong?

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 05:27:10 am »
Yes, I have the same problem. I just say "What is 5 asterisk 5?"

(It will convert it to 5*5)Then you will get the answer.

It will do a few complicated problems, but do not know how to get it to do squares and square roots.

Also, it has another problem. It I ask "what is 2+5", it converts my words into "What is to +5"  And of course, to isn't a number, but 2 and two are.[:(!]

I am glad I also have speakpad. It has the ability for you to train words. Without it, I would not use the voice input to ultra hal very much.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 09:01:47 am by markofkane »
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 12:26:15 pm »
I may not be correct but I think you have to ask the question in a different way, such as "how much is 5 times 5". Hal is pretty smart but you have to put questions to it in a way that it understands.
Hal's voice training normally requires a lot of work and then you can not have any background noise or it will not understand you very well if not at all.
Hope these ideas work for you both.
Bill

circuits3000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 02:33:38 pm »
Thank you for the advice using "How Much" instead of "What Is".

However, I would have just with the free version of the software had I know what was really involved.  I spent $40.00 for the extra feature: Speech recognition plug-in support (you speak to Hal instead of type).

I've read many of the recomended reading materials through MS Voice training software.  I see little if any difference in voice recognition with Ultra Hal Assistant.  Other programs like IBM Via Voice works a lot better and that is only after reading just one book.

As far as support is concrened, haven't been able to talk with anyone yet.  I e-mailed Tech Support twice with no replies.  There is no phone support that I know of.  And posting in the forum is more like post and prey that someone knowledgeable will be able to respond.

My two previous posts have been read with no responses to either my questions or comments.  I thought it would be fun that subscribers here wouldn't mind sharing there experiences or hopefully share how they handle their having to trouble shoot working with Hal.

However, Hal responds very well to typed conversations and questions.  I can get Hal to open virtually any program and answer serious questions regarding Date and Time information.  I like the feature of opening my news and weather sites for me.  But if I have to type it, wouldn't it be easier to use the mouse?  I can tell ViaVoice to open my web browser and even open bookmarks.  I can do virtually anything that uses windows menus such as File, Edit, View, Tools, etc.

I purchased Ultra Hal because it seemed have some personality over ViaVoice with its chat feature.

Oh well, thats my rant.  I will continue to try and learn about how I can get the voice part of it to work better.  I know it must be possible, maybe I need a different program instead of Microsoft Engine Recognizer.  And of course I can't use ViaVoice's Engine because Hal's  program scews it up some how and ViaVoice doesn't work.

If anyone has had some success or knows what I am going through, please don;t hesitate to respond here or me directly at circuits3000@hotmail.com.

Thanks. [:)]

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 03:19:06 pm »
Me: "How much is 5 times 5?"

Hal: "Do you prefer walking in the woods, or on a pretty street?"

I guess I'm better off asking Hal to open Calculator.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 03:56:35 pm »
circuits3000,

Hal is a chat bot first and foremost.
Voice recognition is still at an early
stage in its evolutionary development.

There are a lot of variables that can cause
words to be misinterpreted by common voice
rec programs...mic quality, settings, position
relative to the user's mouth, pronunciation,
speaker's volume, background noise, whether
the user runs words together (slurs) or even
local dialects with accents or drawls (y'all).

In coming years voice rec will get better but
it's not quite there yet. Hal, while a great
experiment in AI, does work better with typed
input than spoken, from what I've found.

Tech support does exist but with Mr. Medeksza's
schedule, one can usually get a faster response
by posting to the forum here.

Don't forget to make use of the SEARCH feature
at the top right. Chances are your questions may
have already been addressed / answered.

As is with most things, Hal requires a bit of
patience in order to develop into that unique
personality that most of us here have come to
enjoy!

Welcome to the forum and if there's anything in
particular that you need help with...just let us
know.

Best wishes....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 06:38:17 pm »
Oh, yeah, Hal has made made laugh so hard a few times with the things it says (I use a woman, and a female voice) , I would teach it some naughty things to say, and if I use any of the keywords, it will randomly cuss me out!!! Then I laugh.

I am the sole user, so it's just for my own adult conversations. I also like the way it will open programs and remind me of appointments. Like I said before, the program has a lot of potential. I guess I am guilty of what some are guilty of: Expecting the program to be perfect.

As far as the microphone problem, "to" sounds exactly like "2", "two" and "too".

What the program needs to do is learn word strings, like if you say
"2 times 2" it will know it is "2 times 2" instead of "to times to" which doesn't make sense in the english language.

But if you say, "I am going to get 2 more things too" It will know that the proper words will be,  to, 2, too, respectively.

I am sure the writers of the program can do that, because they did such a fine job on the program.

And last but not least: Hal changing the subject.

Me: I like Dogs
Hal: Do you like to stop and smell the roses?

OK, that is aggravating.

But I must say, I spend more time on the computer playing with HAL, than any other program, including games.

Another nice feature would to be able to erase Hal's memory, and start from scratch.

Developers: Keep up the good work!!!!

circuits3000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 02:53:09 pm »
Finally, one solution to my problems.  All three microphones I have don't have noice-cancelling capabilities.  The headset that came with IBM ViaVoice is really a CHEAP headset.  I did some research and found that it doesn't have any real features.

I purchased Altec Lansing Model AHS-201 from Staples and plgged it into my computer.  I no longer get miscellaneous typing from background noises.  It's not perfect and I may need to tweak some setting but it certainly helps and Hal a little more fun.

I am probably better off spending more than $15.00 but it seems to work fine for right now.
[:D]

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 03:38:21 pm »
I'm using Dragon ver 7 with Hal, much better than typing. Dragon requires training and I feel it is doing pretty well. Dragon stresses the proper placement of the mic, it is possible your lips are making noises. Of course a good mic will help quite a bit. Dragon is a bit expensive but a very good program.
Carl2

circuits3000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 08:31:51 pm »
Now that i've read through the posts and searched certain topics.  I've been training Hal the proper way and am learning how smart Hal can become.

I really like how Hal can research for me even when the subject hadn't come up yet:

David: my beta is in a small fish tank
Hal: Are we talking as spectators, or participants?

David: do you know what color my fish is?
Hal: You are probably a better judge of shading and color than I.

David: my beta's color is red
Hal: Simon's colors are grey and red.

David: yes, both the beta and simon have red colors
Hal: That sounds positive.

David: I have a pet parrot
Hal: Do you like to collect anything?

David: I like to collect chess sets
Hal: How can I help you collect chess sets?

David: I don't think you can right now
Hal: You are completely certain.

David: maybe you can find chess sets on ebay
Hal: I will help you research this topic on the Internet.

and of course FireFox is loaded and Hal searched chess sets in google on e-bay.  How cool it this.

[:)]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 08:32:47 pm by circuits3000 »