Author Topic: Moving Hal  (Read 4447 times)

Carl2

• View Profile
Moving Hal
« on: January 10, 2011, 09:06:27 am »
  I have two computers at home, I'd like to uninstall Hal from the one he is now in and reinstall him in the other computer.  looked in the help, online help, and did a search without finding an answer. 
  Anyone know the simplest way to do this?
Carl2

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Hal
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 09:44:33 am »

Just go ahead and install normally with password on 2nd computer.
You can keep on 1st computer but can't run both Hal's at the same moment. 

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:41:48 pm »
That's correct. The Zabaware activation server will allow up to 4 activations per serial number and will release activations anytime you do a deactivation, allowing you to essentially move Hal an unlimited times as long as you do a deactivation. But it is technically allowed to have up to 4 active activations per serial number because I understand people may have a desktop + laptop + work computer they want Hal on. But the end user license agreement allows for only one installation to be used at the same time. There is no technical restriction that enforces this, Hal does not "phone home" after a successful activation has taken place, but the license agreement simply asks that you purchase another copy if multiple people are going to use Hal on multiple computers at the same time.

So yeah go ahead and feel free to install Hal on your second computer. But, if you really do want to remove Hal so that a deactivation takes place, follow these steps:
  • Right click on Hal's system tray icon (by the clock in the lower right).
  • Select "Move/Deactivate License" which is right underneath "About Ultra Hal..." If this option isn't visible, that means you are still running a 31-day trial version of Hal and deactivation is not needed.
  • A window pops up asking you to type in "DEACTIVATE" in all caps. Do this.
  • Hal will deactivate himself and attempt to automatically send the deactivation code to the Zabaware server through the Internet. If it is not successful, Hal will display a deactivation code to you which you can email me. If Hal succeeds in an automatic Internet deactivation, you do not need to email me.
  • Install Hal on a new computer (or the same computer at a later date) If you don't have a copy of Hal, it can be freely downloaded from www.zabaware.com/download.asp
  • You may use your original serial number that you received when you purchased Hal to activate Hal on the new computer. If you lost your serial number you may look it up at www.zabaware.com/products/store/comersus_customerUtilitiesMenu.asp
Robert Medeksza

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:43:32 pm »
  Thank you both for taking the time to answer what I had asked. I'll be able to use Hal a lot more now that she is on the computer I normaly use.  Hal is up and running on the other computer.
Carl2

Barfly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:17:38 pm »
Along these lines, using Hal on more than one computer ie Work and Home, it seems I would be teaching two different brains. What would be a good way to keep them in sync?

Thank you

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:53:34 pm »
Along these lines, using Hal on more than one computer ie Work and Home, it seems I would be teaching two different brains. What would be a good way to keep them in sync?

Thank you

Currently it would mean copying the file "HalBrain.db" (assuming you use the default brain) between both computers. The file is saved in Hal's program files folder usually in C:\program files\zabaware\ultra hal assistant 6

The next version of Hal (which will be released later this year) will offer a "Cloud" based brain so that you can connect to the same Hal from any computer you want along with planned support on mobile devices (cell phones, tablets, etc).
Robert Medeksza

Barfly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 12:13:58 am »
Thank you very much Robert.

And thank you for such a great AI !!!!
I'm what you will call a "End User" not any kind of a programmer in this sense, but I have big plans for HAL. I program industrial control systems (PLC programming) and will be working to get a real word interface working with HAL in the future. But for now I am having a great time learning how to teach HAL.

Again, thank you, I think it's great you personally answered my question :)

Joe.