Author Topic: correcting spelling for outcome in hal !  (Read 3335 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
correcting spelling for outcome in hal !
« on: January 19, 2009, 10:30:58 am »
hal may already do this but otherwise if it doesnt maybe robert can put this into hal . if this is already being done it would be in the debugging area of hal . anyway heres my idea when we write to hal sometimes we may get a word slightly (if were lucky ) mispelled (i do this sometimes as i type very very fast ) and once it goes into hal hal would (hopefully through a hal dictionary program ) correct the word by completing ? it to its closest corrected spelling so the phrase is said back correctly . example ( hal you are my frien  (should be friend ) hal comes up with the cloest match adding the "d" to make friend in the sentence . [:)]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:20:25 pm »
As far as I know, Hal doesn't have a spell checker but Robert was entertaining the notion of an "on the fly editor" to allow for changes as errors happened. Not a bad alternative and certainly much needed.

On the right track as usual, Lonnie.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:57:07 pm »
Here is a spell checker uhp by Bill DeWitt. It does'nt seem to work on Hal 6.1 for me. Maybe it might for someone else or it needs to be rewrighten for 6x.

Download Attachment: SpellChecker.uhp
1.36 KB
ted

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:14:48 pm »
Hi from Wil,
i may have said my five cents before about this,
as long as its a check box we can uncheck,
i often type slang type words that are misspelled as to have Data say it right, so a auto speller might cause a problem there.
or local words some are not english,
abreviations, formulars,
gibberish is just another subject, part of learning,
i might have to say ten cents as five cent peaces are no longer in New Zealand.
Bye for now and be well from Wil and Mr Data    :)   :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:07:23 am »
Will,
Good idea!,  Is it just me or does this MB have a spell checker for posts?[?]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 05:37:47 am »
Ted,

Bill's Spell checker plug-in works fine on my version 6.1.

You must have, as it relies on, Microsoft Word to be on your system.

Say you type I need to repait my car (instead of repair). Before Hal gets to the input sentence, a small window will pop up and offer suggestions for the proper spelling. Select it and Hal will respond as if the proper word was originally entered.

It definitely helps the old GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out) adage.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 09:46:34 am »
hello all well i see i am not the only one that thinks this is a good idea , and will and data i never thought about that either about the slang words part but you are most certainly right as i use slang words (example : instead of don't you sometimes my angela will say dontcha .) so if robert would ever and i hope he does (even if bills plug in works will explain why ) and in roberts new version plug in or not it will also (this is the important part) a section where you can pick from a list of words to select (one of the selections will be your original word you used ) by allowing you the option of your original word you will be able to still use the slang word you originally wanted . in the voice recognition mode hal will have to be able to ask you by voice did you mean " don't you or did you mean "dontcha " and you would say dontcha and hal would "say dontcha ok i will remember that !" hope robert can add an option like this and us be able to use it with voice recognition as thats what i want to work to after i test later on and see that i can back up voice files from that web site i showed everyone when i was sick , by the way has anyone tried it out yey ?? [:)]