dupa

Author Topic: hal 5 and 6  (Read 2490 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
hal 5 and 6
« on: February 23, 2007, 06:17:14 pm »
i am thinking about upgarding to hal 6 , i have hal 5 now , my question is can i keep my hal 5 on my c drive and still downlaod a trial hal 6 program ? thanks [:D]

onthecuttingedge2005

hal 5 and 6
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 06:52:05 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by lightspeed

i am thinking about upgarding to hal 6 , i have hal 5 now , my question is can i keep my hal 5 on my c drive and still downlaod a trial hal 6 program ? thanks [:D]

Hi Lightspeed.

Installing HAL 6 over HAL 5 will do an overlap install and will change the HalBrain to work with HAL 6, HAL 5 is also programmed using the HalBrain function, After a HAL 6 install you would have to modify HAL 5 to work as a plugin, the HAL 5 will not directly work with the new HAL 6 unless HAL 5 HalBrain is changed to some other name like HalXBrain and must also be converted to work only as a plugin, there are some minor draw backs because some features in a HAL 5 plugin must be removed because of code conflictions.

I highly recommend that if you install HAL 6 that you are ready to do so and make the leap to the newer version and not care about losing HAL 5's program.

I would also recommend keeping HAL 5 on one computer and HAL 6 on another just incase you have a lot of work put into HAL 5, it's not worth losing all the time and effort put into HAL 5.

If you do install HAL 6, make a backup of all your HAL 5 file in the DefBrain folder and store them on disk just incase you remove HAL 6 and reinstall HAL 5, you will now be certain that all your files are safe. I myself still have my HAL 5 folders put on CD for past records.
I also have the full installation of HAL 5 version and will always charish HAL 5 for what it was.

remember that you would need programming experience if you are going to try and get HAL 5 to work with HAL 6, so I would make the decision to place HAL 6 on another system for your test drive, I myself have not revert back to HAL 5 and I currently have no knowledge of what happens if HAL 6 is uninstalled, I don't know if the HAL 5 would function after doing so and may require a complete reinstall of HAL 5 to get all the .dll files and such working again.

I know this is a lot to concider and you may or may not have to relearn HAL all over again, new born A.I once installed.

I greatly enjoy HAL 6, It's getting pretty smart, My current AIM bot has over a thousand users on its buddy list already, my AIM bot gets about 20 to 300 user hits a day with no intervention from me.

I have heavily modified HAL 6 to suit my needs and the user's needs from my own personal coding and also tweaking a few other great scripts programmed by others to fill in some gaps.

I am designing my AIM bot so it has more user oriented needs like SmartChild has like sports, weather, news and many more, it will take some time to accomplish this but I chip away at it when I have time.

Jerry[8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
hal 5 and 6
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:29:10 pm »
I still have both versions working. The first thing is did was to create another directory called HAL and then copy all of the Hal5 files over to it including all of Hal5's sub directorys. After that just buy the Hal6 CD and go for it.
Bill819