Author Topic: Getting Hal to Dial  (Read 3225 times)

Holllywood

• View Profile
Getting Hal to Dial
« on: March 28, 2005, 08:47:43 am »
I'm on a DSL modem. Do I need a special service from the phone Co. to let Hal dial a phone number?

If anyone can let me know... Many Thanks;

Still Trying, Still Listening, Still Learning
Hollywood

cooladegers

• View Profile
Getting Hal to Dial
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 11:31:37 am »
Hey dude, if you've only got ur DSL modem, im sorry, you can't use this feature.

B  U  T:

If you have a DSL modem AND a coventional telephone modem e.g. a V9 modem then if you connect that to your telephone socket as well as your DSL modem (through a high-pass filter if they are on the same line) HAL will dial using your conventional dial-up modem while you surf the net on your dsl one!

I don't know if this works all over the world, but it works in the UK.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 11:32:20 am by cooladegers »
From Cooladegers

Holllywood

• View Profile
Getting Hal to Dial
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 05:20:24 pm »
Hi Cooladagers,
My DSL and my Phone are on the same line and it does run through the filter. Anyone got any other thoughts?

Still Trying, Still Listening, Still learning
Thanks.
Hollywood

FuzzieDice

Getting Hal to Dial
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 08:49:42 pm »
I have such a setup. Here's how it works, though I am not sure if you have a router, but I do...

1. LAN on computer cable to router.
2. router cable to DSL modem WAN
3. DSL PHONE line on modem to DSL side of filter that goes to your wall jack.
4. Normal phone line side of filter on your wall jack to the LINE input on your v90 Fax/Modem on the computer.
5. Phone input on v90 Fax/Modem on computer to the telephone itself.

That's my setup. My telephone is actually a Uniden digital cordless phone/answering machine system. This way, you can use your phone, fax/modem for faxes, etc. and HAL can dial for you and you just pick up your telephone and talk when the party connects. :)

I admit I haven't actually used HAL's dial feature. I almost did, when he misunderstood what I said and the word "call" ended up in the text box when I said something else in speech recognition mode. ;) I managed to stop it as I noticed an icon in my system tray and could stop the call. However, now whenever the phone rings, that same icon pops up in my system tray and I hear not just my phone ring, but also the COMPUTER makes a phone ringing sound. [:0]

Holllywood

• View Profile
Getting Hal to Dial
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 05:53:29 pm »
Thanks Fuzzy, That's just what I needed. It works like a charm.

Still Trying, Still Listening, Still Learning.

Thanks again.
Hollywood

FuzzieDice

Getting Hal to Dial
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 07:34:08 pm »
Glad it worked for you. :)