Author Topic: rob is the free ver. 5.0 out or when will it be  (Read 3741 times)

dgher1

• View Profile
rob is the free ver. 5.0 out or when will it be
« on: November 15, 2003, 06:53:09 am »
i go to download the free ver. it said hal4.zip i know it the 4.5 ver.so when will the 5.0 ver. be on the download site.i know you said theres a delay.

dgher1

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 07:11:03 am »
and i when go to send by mail it doesn't go to the page with the address to send it to you  by money order need to fix. or i may be wrong. i try twices on it

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 01:46:39 am »
The free version will be out in about a day or two. It is complete and undergoing some final testing right now.

The main reason for the delay is that originally the Ultra Hal Assistant 5.0 free version came out to be 30 MB compressed, more then twice the size of version 4.5. I've been trying to cut down the size as much as possible to make it easier to download and distribute to modem users. I've been trimming that fat the last couple of weeks and I've managed to cut it down to about 20 MB.

Basically what I did to make the free version smaller is I removed about 25% of its databases (both the conversational database and WordNet). I also removed compatibility with Windows 95, Windows 98 first edition, and Windows NT 4.0. The free version of Hal will not install under these operating systems. It will work fine in Windows 98 second edition, ME, 2000, and XP.
Robert Medeksza

Morlhach

• View Profile
    • http://membres.lycos.fr/morlhach
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 02:40:38 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Medeksza

Basically what I did to make the free version smaller is I removed about 25% of its databases (both the conversational database and WordNet). I also removed compatibility with Windows 95, Windows 98 first edition, and Windows NT 4.0. The free version of Hal will not install under these operating systems. It will work fine in Windows 98 second edition, ME, 2000, and XP.

It is sad : Wordnet is a great addition for Hal 5.0. I will just have to teach more Hal, i guess
I am a very impatient. [;)]

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 09:12:17 am »
WordNet is not removed from the free version. The free version of Hal uses WordNet version 1.6, the full version uses WordNet version 1.7. Version 1.6 simply had less words but most likely words that most people will never use.
Robert Medeksza

dgher1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 12:09:41 am »
i hope the .hap plugin is in there too.like them a lot.

Mstg007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 11:34:32 pm »
Is Hal 5.0 avalible for download yet? I wonder if it runs smoother and faster as well.

thanks!