dupa

Author Topic: Downloads  (Read 2423 times)

Phantom

• View Profile
Downloads
« on: November 21, 2003, 04:51:06 pm »
I went to the 2 download sites, but only found the downloads for Hal 4.5 or 4.0, when will the downloads be on for the 5.0  I look foreward to downloading Hal

Phantom

Locke Digitalus

• View Profile
Downloads
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 09:14:54 pm »
The free version of HAL 5.0 will be available soon -- Zabaware is working on reducing the file size for easy downloading to help out the dial-up MODEM users.  Robert Medeksza has said it will be released for download within a few days, so check back often!

The full version of HAL 5.0 is available right now, of course.

quote:
The free version will be out in about a day or two. It is complete and undergoing some final testing right now.

The main reason for the delay is that originally the Ultra Hal Assistant 5.0 free version came out to be 30 MB compressed, more then twice the size of version 4.5. I've been trying to cut down the size as much as possible to make it easier to download and distribute to modem users. I've been trimming that fat the last couple of weeks and I've managed to cut it down to about 20 MB.

Basically what I did to make the free version smaller is I removed about 25% of its databases (both the conversational database and WordNet). I also removed compatibility with Windows 95, Windows 98 first edition, and Windows NT 4.0. The free version of Hal will not install under these operating systems. It will work fine in Windows 98 second edition, ME, 2000, and XP.
Robert Medeksza
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 09:18:59 pm by Locke Digitalus »