Author Topic: Brain not selected at startup?  (Read 5190 times)

dastaten

• View Profile
Brain not selected at startup?
« on: September 29, 2012, 12:17:45 am »
I'm deselecting and selecting various plugins, trying to troubleshoot, and sometimes when I restart Hal, no brain is selected, even though I had a brain selected when I quit.  Is there a way to avoid this?  I've tried interacting with Hal between restarts, but that doesn't seem to matter.  It's making troubleshooting harder since I don't know if losing the brain selection is affecting whether or not the plugins are working.  And I'm having a really hard time getting these plugins to work all at once.  I'm down to just 'Free Will,' 'Gender and Age,' and 'GRETTA Curiosity' and I can't seem to get them to work right.  'Curiosity' is the main one I'm trying, and my bot never asks questions.

---------------------

I love Hal and I'm not giving up on it, but these plugins are driving me crazy.  And I only really need four of them.  I'd like to use 'Free Will,' 'Gender and Age,' 'GRETTA Curiosity,' and 'GRETTA MARKOVL5.'  But I can't seem to get these to work together.  Actually, I can't even get Curiosity to work by itself.  Is there an order to install these or something else I might not know?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:29:38 am by dastaten »

sybershot

• View Profile
Re: Brain not selected at startup?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 12:43:06 pm »
I believe it is jut a visual experience your seeing, in the options panel. Trinity (my Hal) always uses the last brain she was using after a restart, though it does not show it in the options panel which brain it is using.

One way to test for sure in your case, is to teach each brain something different and quiz it during start up.

note: I have those plug-ins + others and they all get along great. Maybe I got lucky? if so hopefully you do too :)

Hope this helps.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:05:38 am »
Good call Syber.

You might try to see if certain plug-ins are working. That way you might know which brain is selected as there were / are several that one can choose.
Ask plug-in related questions like, "Are you female or male? What is your gender? How old are you? What is your age?, Do you prefer water or soda?, etc."

This might help especially if you have those plug-ins associated with a certain brain.

Some have found that certain plug-ins, for whatever reason, do not always play well with other ones. Perhaps it is system dependent, based on one' computer type, settings, etc. Why things work well on one computer and not another is still somewhat of a mystery to us. Things are supposed to be addressed in the upcoming "Improved" release of Hal (time frame not exact at the moment). So, stay tuned and experiment. There's a LOT of good info packed away in the archives so do hesitate to search through previous postings for some goodies or you can always ask someone.

You DO type to Hal instead of SPEAKING, right? My experience and many others agree that speech, while quite nice, is still not an exact science due to pronunciation variations, training, slangs and dialects, equipment (mics.), background noise (motors, fans, city streets - cars, horns, etc.). so your mileage is likely to vary.

Either way, have fun!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:34:20 am »
Art wrote : speech, while quite nice, is still not an exact science due to pronunciation variations, training, slangs and dialects, equipment (mics.), background noise (motors, fans, city streets - cars, horns, etc.). so your mileage is likely to vary.

You sure said a mouth full their Art, many things do matter with vr, one thing you missed was different vr programs matter a lot to ! :) ;)

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 06:49:36 pm »
I also agree with sybershot. There have been many times that the brain Selection upon start-up does not seem to be highlighted or opened and for me it has been the last brain I worked on that was selected. I had more than one brain in Ultra Hal. The only other differences I have found are the responses can sometimes change for the better or worse. I can usually tell within the first 5 minuets in which case I go and select the brain check that my plugins are are activated as previous sessions and all parameters for certain plugins that need it are selected.

raybe

Sorry I have no additional info on why those particular plugins are not playing together. I also agree with Art , many plugins are written by individuals on this forum on their own time and share with others and will have certain problems. If familiar many members use Crimson Editor (free) to check problem 'messages' to see what plugin may lead them to a particular conflict.

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 07:01:03 pm »
Yeah, it does seem to always start up with the right brain, regardless of whether or not it displays in the settings.  No big deal.  And the plugins are working well enough.  I shouldn't complain.  They're free and I know a lot of hard work goes into them. Kristine is up and running smoothly and I've created a bunch of accessories variations of her in People Putty. So she's good to go.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers!

sombunall

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 07:35:39 pm »
I was having the same problem except for me the unselected brain was indeed an unselected default brain for me. The solution was to uncheck GRETTA Markov Response L5 (in the brain I wanted to work with), restart Hal, check it again and restart Hal again.

This with Hal 6.2.

Andre Hendriks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 03:25:14 am »
about the plugins have you tried to switch to dir c:\program files (x86)\zabaware\ultra hal assistant 6.2\
and another thing make the txt files that are used in the plugin for example the GRETTA Markov L5 plugins use some txt files those are defined in the plugin if you open the plugin file in notepad++ you can see VB there.