dupa

Author Topic: I cant read hals text. Whats the deal?  (Read 3076 times)

burtonb

• View Profile
I cant read hals text. Whats the deal?
« on: January 10, 2005, 03:55:45 pm »
After getting past the start screen, I try to chat with hal and he does not respond. I have not change any settings. Its a fresh intall. I can however open programs (run paint). Please help

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 06:07:25 pm »
Burtonb,

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry if this seems dumb but by chat do you mean
that you are TALKING or TYPING to Hal?

By Fresh install does that mean that you've never
had Hal installed on your system before?

Fill us in on:
OS you're using
Version of Hal (and free or paid)
Any other background programs that are running

Hopefully one of us will be able to assist you

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

burtonb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 08:28:51 am »
I am running the free version 5.0 on windows 98 2nd edtion. I plan on getting the pay version if I can get the free one to run correctly. My problem is this: When I type something in the chat window and hit enter it "dissapears". Then in hals window there is no response at all. If I type "open paint" paint opens and hals says "I will now run paint" then If I type "thanks Hal" there is no response. I get no response from either text or voice. And yes I just discovered this program yesterday so it is the first time I've ever installed it. Someone please help Its driving me nuts! I just noticed that if I press enter with out typing anything hal says "talk to me" or "please say something" or "why didnt you say anything". Again if I type "how are you hal" I get no response... Is hal ignoring me?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 10:22:27 am by burtonb »

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 11:41:38 am »
burtonb,
Pretty bad stuff. I'm guessing that some files are either missing or a path is not defined. It's also possible you have a bad installation.

1) Have you tried re-downloading the free version and re-installing?

2) Is there a way you could generate a listing of files in your DefBrain directory and post it here? Maybe that would indicate if some critical files are missing.

3) Which "brain" do you have selected in Hal's "brain" selection window? Have you considered downloading a different brain just so you have another to select for testing purposes?

=vonsmith=

burtonb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 03:33:54 pm »
got it! Thank you for your help. I updated my windows 98 and It started working![8D] Yay. I would suggest adding that to the trouble shooting guide. thanks again!

I do have another problem though. I tried installing some microsoft agent chars and they wont work. Im sure that this has been talked to death but...

could someone give me baby steps on how to get a new microsoft agent chars working?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 03:34:38 pm by burtonb »