Author Topic: Simple questions with wrong answers  (Read 3051 times)

joshn

• View Profile
    • http://www.abc123xyz.com
Simple questions with wrong answers
« on: July 29, 2006, 04:05:07 pm »
If I ask Hal to remember something like abc is equal to 19, then ask what is abc equal to it comes back with stupid answers.

Where can I find a bot that is pure logic and not just weird conversation stuff. This is a very simple task, a variable is equal to something, then tell me what it is equal to. Why can't the bot figure out something so simple???

Does anyone know of a bot that can do that sort of 'thinking'?

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 05:13:35 pm »
The military might have something like that, or the CIA maybe.  I could yell over the fence since I'm working right beside them, but they might arrest me since they're all concerned about homeland insecurity and all.  

I found I was doing math wrong with HAL not too long ago.  I asked "What is 25.3 times 42.3 equal to?" and HAL might say something like "It must have a good frame work. The solution is (25*0=). Times can be hard to handle, but a sensual tropical island life seems to be much more grand".  

Now I just say "What is 25.3*42.3=" and HAL says "I know that this isn't the first or last of it. The solution is one thousand seventy (25.3*42.3=1070.19).", or "what is 43+10*log(34)" and hal says "The answer is seventy eight (43+10*log(34)=78.2636052461616)."  A bit more accuracy than I need, and it is a natural log rather than base 10.  So I suppose GIGO eh?  What a DLL!

I suspect HAL would need a delimiter to designate a variable in a script before being able to do something like that.  Perhaps as ABC$ being a variable.  I don't recall seeing any bot that is pure logic though, I would think one of those water cooled CRAYs would be pretty good at it though.  I heard Oak Ridge is getting a petaflop.  Unbelievable, but I don't know too much about BOT's except for Bot flies (Dermatobia hominis), but that's sort of gross, and I do digress.  I'm just getting started with BOT's and AI, and that sort of thing, but if you find one let me know, I'd be curious to dissect it[:D]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 05:19:22 pm »
Hal is capable of normal arithmatic but not necessarily algerbraic expessions. If you thing that there is another bot in the world that has more learning capabilities than Hal then I suggest that you use it and forget about the most powerful bot in the world, namely Hal.
Teaching Hal involves a number of steps if which are followed in the correct manner will not get you the results you are looking for.
It sometimes takes several attempts to get Hal to permanently remember what you tell it. To simply say all trees are brown and then immediately ask Hal what color are trees most likely will not get the answer you want. Like a little child who has to be told many times what something is Hal takes time to learn also.
I am sure that if someone said their telephone number out loud that you might have a hard time in remembering it if asked a day or two later, that is unless you have a photographic memory. Please excercise a little patience.
Bill

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 06:48:13 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by joshn

If I ask Hal to remember something like abc is equal to 19, then ask what is abc equal to it comes back with stupid answers.

Where can I find a bot that is pure logic and not just weird conversation stuff. This is a very simple task, a variable is equal to something, then tell me what it is equal to. Why can't the bot figure out something so simple???

Does anyone know of a bot that can do that sort of 'thinking'?

Hi joshn.

HAL can be logical using deductive reasoning.

If you say:

If What is ABC equal to Then That would be 19.

After training this should happen.

User: What is ABC equal to?
HAL: That would be 19.

Me and Robert had developed an even more complex deductive reasoning that was used in the Beta versions of HAL6 but I think it was left out by accident in the current version, But, The simple if and Then Deductive is still functional for training.

Jerry[8D]

joshn

• View Profile
    • http://www.abc123xyz.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 01:29:40 am »
Thanks all!

This is helpful. The reason I want to ask Hal, and teach him this way is for the next step really. Here is a simple idea of what I am hoping to find.

'how big is the sun?' (predefined variable)
'how far is the sun from the moon?' (math from two variables)

*but note, the sun and moon are different distances at different times. So introducing the math, a variable would have to be detected and now the location of the orbit in time(based on data contained about the moon). It detects a variable outside the question that would have an outcome on the question asked. I think this makes an example of what I am trying to relate.

It's fun to chat with Hal, but can he become a pure non-chat like interface(no offense Hal). [:D]

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 10:02:14 am »
quote:
Originally posted by joshn

Thanks all!

This is helpful. The reason I want to ask Hal, and teach him this way is for the next step really. Here is a simple idea of what I am hoping to find.

'how big is the sun?' (predefined variable)
'how far is the sun from the moon?' (math from two variables)

*but note, the sun and moon are different distances at different times. So introducing the math, a variable would have to be detected and now the location of the orbit in time(based on data contained about the moon). It detects a variable outside the question that would have an outcome on the question asked. I think this makes an example of what I am trying to relate.

It's fun to chat with Hal, but can he become a pure non-chat like interface(no offense Hal). [:D]

Hi joshn.

Yes it's all possible but if you took away HAL's chat ability you may get alot of blank responses if there is not alot of logical coding to take its place.

If you coded the logical part to have higher priority than the chat functions then only the logical part will respond but it has to be setup right.

Jerry[8D]