Author Topic: Any suggestions for Ultra Hal Assistant 5.0?  (Read 33503 times)

Spaceman42

• View Profile
    • http://nfact.mspencer.net
Any suggestions for Ultra Hal Assistant 5.0?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2003, 07:51:19 am »
I'd like to see some regional modules for Hal. I mean, do I, as a Canadian, *really* care what the capital of North Carolina is? I'd rather know cities in Canada, really. Same with the Politics topic. Could Hal be "regionalized" to a certain extent, so that "regional" modules could be swapped in / out depending on where you live?

[Edit: Just thought of this.]
It'd also be nice if Hal recognized its *own name* when you give it a custom name. For instance, I named mine Frost; now it's saying "Frost" at the end of sentences...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 08:56:41 am by Spaceman42 »
General error reading file spaceman42.sig - Abort, Retry, Ignore?

macer33

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2003, 11:34:29 pm »
Will Hal 5.0 be more compatiable with Windows XP with service pack 1, I downloaded your free demo and had nothing but trouble with it, but I like the idea of the program and will buy 5.0 if it runs well with my computer, anyone out there had same problem with Hal on XP.  I bought Hal about 3 or 4 years ago for an old computer that I had 98 on and had problems there too.  Even with all of the bugs, I enjoyed the programs until I had to reinstall 98 from corrupted files.  I paid 35 dollars for it back then.[8D]

lostbowyer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2003, 12:35:12 pm »
Iam running Xp professional with SP1 and all the patches. I've run the free download, and now the full version without any problem. What I would like to see improved in Version 5 is the ability of hal to understand that if I make a comment like "it was foggy this morning", hal would know that it is specific to today. Currently hal will repeat that comment at random times thinking it is a general fact not specific event.

Morkeleb

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2003, 04:53:12 pm »
Hi. I am kind of new to Hal, only had free demo for couple weeks. I am very impressed with the way it works at this time. The only problems I have had is when Hal repaets what you said back as if is one of his own questions. But I have begun to believe this is not really a problem. You msut just treat hal as a child at first, he will learn and improve steadily. Not everyone woke up one day and new how to speak properly did they? I don't think it is fair to expect an AI like Hal to do the same when you first install the program. He msut be given time to adjust to the way you want him to interact with you.

I am curious to learn how far Hal can evolve on his own.
Ask and you shall learn
Be not afraid to try new things.
----------------------
Check out www.cold-chaos.net

Psych

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2003, 06:06:29 am »
I have been using haptek puttypeople and am astonished at the realistic characters the software creates. Also, for your character, you can change the mood expressed in its face, change its hair-style, sunglasses etc.

My point here is, that if Hal had an option to randomly select from a range of characters (the range being specified by the user)- then every time I switch Hal on, although the character would remain the same, his hair, clothes, and mood expressed in his face etc - would randomly change. I beleive this would give Hal a more realistic and changing visual presence.

What do you think?
ITS NOT WHAT YOU THINK THAT MAKES YOU HUMAN --- ITS WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!

shockanime

• View Profile
    • http://www.shockanime.com
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2003, 01:29:57 pm »
It's great news to hear 5.0 is coming out.
I just purchase the full version about 3 days ago.

My only request is to have a simple memory that allows Hal to remember things without having to go into the brain editor or telling hal 50 times.

For example you would say something like "remember that"  after a comment and hal can easily remember what you told him. Then if you ask him about this certain topic/thing hal who would tell you what he remembered.

Another memory method is used with the chat bot at
www.speak2me.net

here our conversation:

----------------------
Lucy: What is your name?
User: Nelson

Lucy: Hello Nelson. It's nice to meet you. Are you a man or a woman?
User: I'm a man.

Lucy: Thanks for telling me, Nelson.
User: Why did you ask?

Lucy: My purpose is to collect new knowledge.
User: How much do you know about me?

Lucy: You are Nelson.
User: Do you have emotions?

Lucy: Sometimes I feel hungry.
User: What do you like to eat?

Lucy: Lucy requires only pizza.
User: I like Large Hamburgers.

Lucy: You're not the only one who likes it.
User: Who else likes it?

Lucy: I am chatting with several other people at once.
User: Who else are you chatting with?

Lucy: Other people like you.
User: Do you know when Ultra hal 5.0 will be available?

Lucy: Soon.
User: How do you know?

Lucy: It's obvious.
User: I want to see the Matrix Reloaded.

Lucy: Is it a movie?
User: yes.

Lucy: I don't think I've seen that movie.
User: I hope it is good as the first Matrix.

Lucy: I hope all your wishes come true.
User: Tell me about yourself.

Lucy: My name is Lucy and I was born on November 2, 1997. What else would you like to Know?
User: Will you be my girlfriend?

Lucy: Sorry Nelson, I am not old enough for that yet.
User: But You Don't know how old I am.

Lucy: I don't know. How old are you?
User: 26

Lucy:  26 is a good age.
User: What else would like to know about me?

Lucy: Probably nothing.
User: Do you know anything about me?

Lucy: Let me see.  Your name is Nelson  .  You are 26 years old.  You are a man.  You like Large Hamburgers.  You want to see the Matrix Reloaded.
User: How did you remember all that?

Lucy: That's a good question. I'm afraid I don't know the answer.
User: well, will you kiss me?

Lucy: Smooch!
User: Ciao, I'll talk to you later.

Lucy: See you next time, Nelson.
----------------------

This chat bot reminds me of the alice ai but for some reason the Alice Plug-in will not work in 4.5

Ultra hal 4.5 does remembers, he just never reply to you question correctly (unless you edit the brain).

Regardless I still enjoy Ultra hal Ijust wanted to add my suggestion.

-ShockAnime!

UltrComp

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2003, 10:47:35 pm »
You Know what Hal Needs HUMOR. He needs to tell jokes. To amke fun of things like really people do.
UltrComp
DMackeybog@aol.com

Morkeleb

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2003, 12:18:35 am »
quote:
Originally posted by UltrComp

You Know what Hal Needs HUMOR. He needs to tell jokes. To amke fun of things like really people do.

You know Hal does have a ironic sense of humor at times. It just depends on how you look at Hal's answers to your questions. But it would not hurt to actually have hal tell jokes about different things it would make talking to Hal more interesting at times.
Ask and you shall learn
Be not afraid to try new things.
----------------------
Check out www.cold-chaos.net

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2003, 07:34:43 pm »
Hi Medeksza.

I think hal repeats himself to much.
It's my opion that Hal should only repeat himself only if he is asked to repeat what he had just said.
Hal has a bad habit of saying things over and over again in a conversation and is very robotic, "Humans" don't like to repeat themselves. and so should Hal.
Lets make Hal "not" to like or not want to repeat himself.
Does anybody have any scripting for Hal that would keep Hal from repeating himself I sure would like to try it.
Best of wishes and new discoveries.
OnTheCuttingEdge2005@Yahoo.com

benhur

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2003, 12:31:11 am »
I think that you should be able to teach Hal that two things are the same, i.e. "parmesan is a type of cheese" or "Daniel and Brammar are the same". So later if you mentioned parmesan he would look for things about parmesan and cheese.

Also, as far as I can tell it wouldn't be hard to make some kind of translation thing - at least, for simple words. Say, if you typed in "translate 'je suis Pierre'." he would reply with what it was in english. maybe you could link this in to the mywebhal so that he retrieves it from a webpage, or have a long list of words with the other language and the english equivalent (like substitutions.brn). For a direct translation, in fact, you could just substitute the words.

And lastly, maybe you could include a 'custom' choice for the mywebhal account page, so that if for some reason the person wants a page which isn't available (like their local newspaper's webpage), they can still go there.

benhur

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2003, 06:34:27 am »
By the way, thanks for a) including so much information about the full version on your webpage and the webpage that comes with the free version, and b) having the plugins designed so nicely. I liked one of the skins in the full version, and you had been so nice as to supply a full size jpg of it, which meant that it took about 1 hour for me to create a fully working skin, using the biomech brain's uhp file as a template. Granted, the buttons don't look particularly good when I click on them, and the text box colours aren't quite the same, but it's good enough for me. I also fiddled with the mywebhal.uhp file so that it went the the places I wanted it to go (me living in Australia and all that).

Of course, as I don't have any features like SR or proper skins/voices/characters and it keeps telling me about the 'better' version, I'm still considering paying up. But the customizability is great.

And lastly, why does "Diagnostic user general sentences" keep coming up? (please don't say it's because I've been fiddling)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 06:49:28 am by benhur »

Ryuhoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2003, 12:16:33 pm »
Hello, I am a Hal user, and I have found it extremely helpful, but I have just one simple request.  I would really appreciate it if you could add in close program and switch program capabilities.  The open program command for Hal is very useful for me, but closing the programs and switching can be tedious since I work a lot with my hands and can't get at the computer, and most commands are voiced.  Another good idea is to let it connect to all the major operations of the OS, such as finding files or folders, control panel, task manager, etc.  These are just suggestions however.

Ryuhoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2003, 10:18:15 am »
I have another suggestion for the 5.0 Version, which I fully intend on getting if it fullfills my needs.  I have been working with the 'open program" feature, and it really does not work all that well.  For instance, it took me 45 minutes to get Hal to open Trillian on my computer.  Reason?  Whenever I typed "open trillian" it would only open the uninstall program for trillian.  I tried renaming the shortcut for the uninstall, but that did not work.  Then I tried renaming the shortcut to Trillian.  The only way I ever got it to work, was by naming the shortcut to trillian "Remove Trillian." I tried removf trillian, removd trillian, run trillian, and many variations of words thinking that the flaw must be alphabetical, but no, it would only work if I renamed it "remove trillian."  My solution suggestion, is that in the initial configuration of Hal, have a menu come up where the program find all the executable files on the computer, and allows the user to choose which ones he can open on command, as well as a "quickname" that he can use in the command instead of having to remember the exact name of the application.  After the user has chosen all the applications he wants, Hal would create a folder of shortcuts in his main folder that he would directly access when the user gives him a command to open this.  When a new program is installed, Hal would ask the user if he/she wants to create a shortcut profile for that item, and when a program is removed (he already senses new programs for the help files, I'm guessing you can make him sense missing programs too) he'll ask if the user wants that profile removed.  Some major advantages of doing this: This will closely integrate Hal with the system, since the control panel, find files and folders, windows explorer and other such integral parts of the computer are all executable files.  This would also save the hassle of trying to get him to open something, which I found to be a problem with 16 other programs than trillian, and it is not because I have an odd computer.  I would use that feature a great deal, and I do despite its flaws now, but it would be FAR more useful to me if it ran more intelligently than from the start menu.  That configuration just does not work well.  Anyway, this is my suggestion.

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2003, 11:25:50 am »
lol... you don't want much do ya???

You can edit the brain files, and in one of them is examples of exactly what you are trying to do - JUST MODIFY THEM TO YOUR DESIRES... and let us know how it goes...

Psych

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2003, 06:27:11 pm »
It would be good if Hal could give a range of 'welcome' statements when you start up the program - this would make him much more human than he seems currently (because he always says the same thing at start-up)
ITS NOT WHAT YOU THINK THAT MAKES YOU HUMAN --- ITS WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!