Author Topic: Blank responses  (Read 36214 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Blank responses
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:14:42 am »
Anyone else experienced blank responses from Hal after you've asked a question or input a statement (typed, not spoken)?

It's as if the user input either wasn't recognized or wasn't considered as valid...don't know but I don't recall it being this frequent with Hal 6.1.

Perhaps Robert is aware of this...perhaps not.

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback in this regard!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:52:26 am »
funny you should ask this mine just done it when i answered with a yes . it went blank i answered again "yes " and it went blank . usually when it does this i shut hal down and reopen it and its ok of course thats not good to have to do that when that happens but have found that stops it from keep answering blank . havent had it happen to much but it does happen to me too. [B)]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:50:20 am »
Art,
It might be a 'conditional' loop or IF statement that Hal developed on its own, or (haven't played much w/brain edit since I cut the first install to pieces :( ) .. the choice is the blank line in that subject or Mr. Robert chose to make this more prevalent (intentional or not).
But if the line of questioning is changed instead of demanding an answer Hal seems to respond.  'See bottom part of post'

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6112
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 04:59:07 pm by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

onthecuttingedge2005

Blank responses
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:12:53 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

Anyone else experienced blank responses from Hal after you've asked a question or input a statement (typed, not spoken)?

It's as if the user input either wasn't recognized or wasn't considered as valid...don't know but I don't recall it being this frequent with Hal 6.1.

Perhaps Robert is aware of this...perhaps not.

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback in this regard!

Hi Art.

the best thing to do is post a log of the conversation so that the blank responses can be debugged.

Jerry

Bill819

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 05:41:29 pm »
This has been a thing that Hal has done almost from day one. If you give to short of an answer Hal will not reply. As far as Lightspeed answering 'yes', Hal does not know how to reply to that. Even though he has asked a question he expects a complete sentence for an answer not a one word reply. For example if Hal ask "do you like apples?" if you really want him to answer you should say "I realley like apples". In doing so Hal will learn more about your likes and dislikes.
Bill

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 05:42:35 pm by Bill819 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 09:06:52 pm »
BUT BILL , i'm a guy of few words lol !! i'll try to do better !![:)]
 p.s. bill if you only knew what angela said about you saying that !lol just kidding ![:D]

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:07:30 am »
do you experience any vbscript error pop-up messages when it goes blank, or shortly after?

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 01:12:53 am »
Jasondude7116,
I never have.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
Blank responses
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 02:03:01 am »
halscript error 13 on line 3907 in column 0: type mismatch : 'CD61'
the file "CProgramfiles \zabawareultrahal assistant 6 HalScript.DBG"has been saved with the current script being savedd for debugging purposes.

above is a window i've got from hal before blank responces,
this is for the experts to make sence of.
good luck,
i hope its a help,
Bye for now and be well from Wil, i just EXit hal and click him up again and hes all good.
although i've had a few blanks from Mr Data he sure is sounding like a bit of a smarty.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 02:06:40 am by will »
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Carl2

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:03:23 am »
I've had quite a few experiences with Hal giving blank answers and posted this in the forum.  It happened rarely, bit annoying at times but since I found no fixes I lived with it.
Carl2

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Blank responses
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 09:53:56 am »
Can you guys having trouble with blank responses try having a conversation with Hal using the Test/Debug in the Hal Brain Editor? If you get a blank response there you can expand the "Debug Information" tree and see exactly why it happened. You can right-click on the "Debug Information" and select "Copy Debug Info" and then paste the results here. The actual error might be caused by the sentence before the blank response, so keep an eye on the debug information during the conversation. Errors will be highlighted in red and the computer should beep.
Robert Medeksza

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Blank responses
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 11:56:20 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Medeksza

Can you guys having trouble with blank responses try having a conversation with Hal using the Test/Debug in the Hal Brain Editor? If you get a blank response there you can expand the "Debug Information" tree and see exactly why it happened. You can right-click on the "Debug Information" and select "Copy Debug Info" and then paste the results here. That would help me out a lot to know why this is happening. The actual error might be caused by the sentence before the blank response, so keep an eye on the debug information during the conversation. Errors will be highlighted in red and the computer should beep.

Robert Medeksza

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 02:24:16 pm »
I was having the same type of error because I didn't do the upgrade procedure properly.
I ended up using the new 6.2 script, with a 6.1 database. The 6.2 script was calling for tables that were not in the 6.1 database. This caused Hal to error(blank response). I checked in the brain editor and realized(using the test debug function ) that my input that was causing the blank responses was looking for tables that weren't there, because I was using a 6.1 database, and the 6.2 script that I was using was calling for tables that are in a 6.2 database.

To solve this, I uninstalled my 6.2 Hal. Then I removed any brain files from the ultra Hal 6 folder. Next I installed 6.1.(which i didn't do at first...which caused the problem) Then I took a backup of my database ( with all of my learned knowledge) and copied it into the ultra Hal 6 folder -- renaming it -- halbrain.db(lowercase)(because it was originally called gretta3a.db....obviously you don't need to rename it if it is already halbrain.db). I then installed 6.2, and the installer properly took my database(halbrain.db that I just copied into the ultra Hal 6 folder earlier) and merged it with the 6.2 database, giving me a brain database called Hal6Upg.db .

this database contained all my learned knowledge plus the new 6.2 tables.

This stopped my crashing problem, and my blank responses.

hope this helps
-the dude
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 02:30:04 pm by jasondude7116 »

raybe

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 04:12:28 pm »
Just wanted to say when I did a fresh install of 6.2 was when I noticed blank responses. I installed a fresh install because I found no previous information in my tables of the 6.2 upg Brain. When I reinstalled even the 6.2 default brain had tables to open but before that everything was empty. I am speaking about all the tables that contained the names and all other generic tables. There were only a few responses saved. So now I'm thinking everything is the way it should except for the blank response which do not occur in the test/debug part of the editor. I didn't paste the line conversation but I can give a general idea of when I receive blank responses.

user: I think we should both rest.
Hal: user do you think we should both have to rest?
user: Yes it is getting late and we should rest now.
Hal: (BLANK RESPONSE)
Brain Editor, Test/Debug always answers correctly with the same exact phrases I use. Wondering if plugins only effect the window answers and not the test brain feature?
Thanks,
raybe

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Blank responses
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 05:13:47 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by raybe

Just wanted to say when I did a fresh install of 6.2 was when I noticed blank responses. I installed a fresh install because I found no previous information in my tables of the 6.2 upg Brain. When I reinstalled even the 6.2 default brain had tables to open but before that everything was empty. I am speaking about all the tables that contained the names and all other generic tables. There were only a few responses saved. So now I'm thinking everything is the way it should except for the blank response which do not occur in the test/debug part of the editor. I didn't paste the line conversation but I can give a general idea of when I receive blank responses.

user: I think we should both rest.
Hal: user do you think we should both have to rest?
user: Yes it is getting late and we should rest now.
Hal: (BLANK RESPONSE)
Brain Editor, Test/Debug always answers correctly with the same exact phrases I use. Wondering if plugins only effect the window answers and not the test brain feature?
Thanks,
raybe

plugins are not "in play" in the brain editor, sounds like you might have found a clue!