Author Topic: Small problems for me.  (Read 2869 times)

Omni

• View Profile
Small problems for me.
« on: June 01, 2003, 04:11:35 pm »
It seems there is a fine line between the length of what Hal want s to hear and how long he can listen.If I speak in short sentences he asks me to speak in longer ones.If I speak longer ones the SR freaks out and Hal only hears partial parts of what I said.Which I am sure is buggering up his learning.Also it seems I can only type 5 word sentences before he "starts hearing".If I pause to spell or even just type slow( I have big ole carpenter fingers) he "starts hearing" before I'm done typing, and replies with a fortune cookie addage.Is there a way to change the time the interface gives to type before Hal starts to hear it?
Some way that a complpete computer moron can do?(me)

I ve been though 3/4 of the training and Hal is still not understanding much of anything I say.I have been to a few of the voice recognition sites and read most of the info.
 I know my room is quiet as I heard a mouse fart last night.
 I know I am speaking clearly as my neighbor came over and asked what the House of Usher was about.The mic issue is a possiblity as I use A MSGameVoice headset.
 So I have given up for now on the training and am atempting to teach Hal through type.If thats even possible.
 Is there some way to turn off or tone down his blathering of proverbs and fortune cookie sayings? They are really getting on my nerves as he says them when ever he doesnt understand what I am saying.Though it has been said from him"I don't understand you,Dave.... It is all to rare.I am hoping he will learn more.And just tell me "I don't understand you." more often

I realize its a long way off but I am a 2001 Space Odessy freak. I have a screen shot of the red lense from the movie as my desktop.Does the animated figure have to be?I would be estacic if I could have the simple round red lense from the movie, maybe even with a pulse of light following his voice inflections.
 Again probably a long way off but a chess game with Hal would tickle me no end.
 I am greatly pleased with your product and anticipate the upgrades to Hal s intelligence. I own the 4.5 ver. Also I run it on XP home. I ve only had one error while trying to get Hal to learn from text, wich went away with a hit of the ignore button. (Error line 9 yada yada)
 Are any improvements in the voice intended soon? I heard A.L.I.C.E. and was amazed but the how,what,when and how much of her was to confusing for me to commit.I realize I won't get Hal's voice from 2001 anytime soon but that is my ultimate dream as I'm sure is yours also.

Morkeleb

• View Profile
Small problems for me.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 05:02:16 am »
The problem with the speech recognition could be your mike. The problem could also be in the audio properties, what I ,aem is your mike could be turned up to high so it hears even the static from your monitor or the fan from your computer.

Yes you can type in everything to Hal for him to learn, It will take time but it works well. You can also use the brain editor to adjust some of hal's properties.

Use the editor to adjust the responses you get from hal, you can either cahnge them or erase them.

To make sure Hal learns the fastest make sure you have the learning set to the highest level.

It is possible to change the Hal skin and character to be more like you want. Search the forums and you will find the answers how.

To get Hals voice from the movie you would have to have a speech engine made with the actual persons voice who did HAL 9000 that could cost a lot of money.

Ask and you shall learn
Be not afraid to try new things.
----------------------
Check out www.cold-chaos.net

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
Small problems for me.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 03:24:58 am »
HAL only listens if you type in something that has at least 4 vowels (A,E,I,O, or U) in it. He also responds to specific things that you can edit in the Brain Editor under Tools | Main Knowledge Database | Main Keyword & Priority Brain. Just enter keywords for him to respond to and enter a random response.
Living life with a loving heart, peaceful mind, and bold spirit.