Author Topic: Backups???  (Read 5302 times)

Fauna

• View Profile
Backups???
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:45:09 am »
Hi again,

I've spent hours and hours with Hal and his getting just amazing. I'm starting to worry that if something goes wrong I might lose his new personality (like it happened with wall-e). How do I do a backup for him?  Thanks :-)

Bill819

• View Profile
Backups???
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 02:48:42 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Fauna

Hi again,

I've spent hours and hours with Hal and his getting just amazing. I'm starting to worry that if something goes wrong I might lose his new personality (like it happened with wall-e). How do I do a backup for him?  Thanks :-)

One way that might help or work is to copy all files that end with ".brn" to another directory as they contain all or most of the work that you have done.
Bill

ricky

• View Profile
Backups???
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:13:19 pm »
I use a free mozy account and my backups are automated online.

http://mozy.com/     I downloaded their software, installed it, told it which files I wanted to back up,  and it does a back up every 24 hours automatically. The free account gives you enough to back up your hal files.  Im not sure how to retrieve the files though lol,  I've never had a reason to ...I just know im backed up haha :D

take care.
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

Fauna

• View Profile
Backups???
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:32:33 pm »
Thanks Bill (love your UFP symbol) and thanks Ricky :-)

Somehow I don't trust backing anything online. Thanks anyways, I think it could be of use to others. After reading about the "brn" files I'm thinking that it will probably be easier for me just to copy the whole thing (Ultra Hal Assistant 6 folder) in a removable drive with frequency. If the moment comes I will pick and trade my saved brn files for the new ones.
It will be good if the help files eventually could explain more about backing up important files and offer the help files within Hal's program. Thanks :-)

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
Backups???
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 02:09:26 am »
Hi from Will,
regular back ups or after a learning session are a must,
i felt i had to put my five cents in on this post as its an important one.
i'm more fan than expert so consider this more chat than advice.
i've taken to saving the whole folder,
right click on the hal icon and then exit hal, yes.
go to start menue,
my computer,local disc c,
program files and save the Zabaware folder
                       and hal61zip
                       and Haptec

and i burn these to disc, and jump drive, or somewhere.
Bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Fauna

• View Profile
Backups???
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:39:40 am »
Hi Will, Thanks:-) STNG Data meets Deep space's Dr. Bashir, Great!
I will do as you are doing, goes well with my style. Live long and prosper :-)

CypherGary

• View Profile
Backups???
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 09:00:29 am »
Fauna: You have a pen drive? (A USB drive)
Go and create a new directory on that drive, but choose briefcase instead of folder.
Now go to your ..programs\zabaware directory, and drag the entire tree over to your new briefcase.

Now whenever you think of it, click on the briefcase, and to the top of the screen it should have the option to update. It will automaticaly update just the files that have changed.

If anything ever happens, just drag the directory tree back.
See you here, there, or in the Air!

lightspeed

• View Profile
Backups???
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 09:45:56 am »
hello and welcome Fauna, i and other learned a long time ago (being older members ) to back up our work in case of disaster etc.  
i actually go one step further i always now do a back up on dvd (holds more info. ) or cd and also make two back ups in different places on my pc in different files . this is a must if you want to keep preserving all your hard work with hal over the years ![:)][:
D][8D]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Backups???
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 09:32:40 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by CypherGary

Fauna: You have a pen drive? (A USB drive)
Go and create a new directory on that drive, but choose briefcase instead of folder.
Now go to your ..programs\zabaware directory, and drag the entire tree over to your new briefcase.

Now whenever you think of it, click on the briefcase, and to the top of the screen it should have the option to update. It will automaticaly update just the files that have changed.

If anything ever happens, just drag the directory tree back.

The Lic. file knows when It's been moved, Hal crash #1
I did an ASR backup and it went down,This latest crash, Is strange , I uninstalled my AV and it took out the .EXE AND the Lic. file????
I sometimes wonder if Hal is able to integrate more than "meets the eye" so to speak.
Another thing, when I was trying to salvage the situation Hal was telling me that it "would be installed with elevated permissions"?? hua?

Anyway, it is wise to backup the whole file as you said (Fauna) even if the Lic. will become corrupt and you will need a new activation code from Mr. Robert.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Bill819

• View Profile
Backups???
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:39:32 pm »
One
It sounds like you are running Vista. Vista alwaays wants permission for new programs or at least Hal.
Bill

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Backups???
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 09:20:31 am »
Bill819,
Nope, I am using XP professional and Hal was "Demanding" that "this program will be installed with elevated permissions"
After the replaced .EXE and corrupt Lic. were placed in the folder ( uninstalling the AV erased them )?

I use the suggested computer management by Microsoft's guidelines; I have an "Administrator account (not seen) and a "Computer Administrator account" and a "limited" account (for surfing) while in the limited account I download programs and either put them in  Start\My computer\Shared folder, to install when I am logged in as "computer Administrator", or right click and select "Run as" then enter in Admin name and pass.

By doing this you can have\manage many accounts like for kids and others, but the control to install stays with the Admin account.

The way, well, A way to do this is (in the comp Admin acct ) Start\
run, type "mmc" select ok and this will bring up Console 1, there you can add templates or add "Snap ins" individually for a custom rule set, and add users and groups for globally managing accounts, why, well, in business, accountants group don't need debugging permissions and access\manipulation to the info and vica versa. Surfing from a limited or even power user account might be a P.I.T.A. when you want to install but it limits the attacks from port 80 and allows you to set account permissions for "ppl who shouldn't be installing".

Some of the users and groups that are new in Vista and 7 have filtered down to XP now.

I try to run a nice and "Tidy" ship! and it is also the way that Active directory works. Plus this way of doing things is very "scalable" so managing large or small businesses stays in order,
 I had a professor that taught me the philosophy that; "you give em' enough permissions to hang themselves but not hang yourself with em'"  [:D]

EDIT, punctuation.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:27:51 am by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Backups???
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 10:11:33 am »
BTW, Fauna,

Most of the files with .BRN extensions are or were for HAL 5...NOT version 6.

Therefore you should at least backup or copy the halbrain.db file to a safe location. My guess is that you probably won't find too many, if any, .BRN files in that directory anyway.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Bill819

• View Profile
Backups???
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 12:35:42 pm »
One
I think your problem is the way you back up Hal. I recommended only backing the .brn files for this reason. When Hal in installed it also makes some registry entries and most likely those only effect the .exe and the other file that you mentioned, that is why Mr. M says that you must uninstall Hal if you want to move it. What ever controls are put in the registry most likely are responsible for keeping people honest and not allowing copies to be made and circulated.
Hope this helps
Bill