Author Topic: Thanks, and another question  (Read 16448 times)

n2wxb

Thanks, and another question
« on: August 10, 2005, 06:44:33 pm »
First of all, thank you Freddy, for pointing me in the right direction, I appreciate the help. So much information to filter thru.  Secondly, I have not been able to access Arakus's web page,Does anyone know if his site is down? Third question, I have two programs in my arsenal, Poser 4, a  3-d character design and animation program, it outputs 3-d figures in many different formats such as RIB, 3DMF, DXF, H Anim, 3DS,Wave Front obj,Detailer Text, Vrml, and Meta stream, it also outputs bvh motion files, which is great for passing poses and animations along. I also have Bryce 5, a 3-d landscape design and animation  program. The question is , does anyone know If its possible to use these programs to create a new figure to input to hal,I thought I read a posting, where someone talked about creating figures  in 3DS format, but I can't find it now. I have a figure I would like to put in as my character. I am  posting a picture of the character,  I think Arakus  might know the answer, but I can't seem to access his site. Can anyone help me with this one?

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 07:13:27 pm »
Hi again, Haptek player uses HTR files which are a Haptek homegrown file type.  You can use a converter program they supply to convert from things like OBJ files to HTR that can then be used in the player.

They're at www.haptek.com

n2wxb

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 10:58:38 pm »
Thanks again freddy,do you know if a haptar starts out as an obj? I want to upload a pic of my model, I tried earlier,but the jpg did not post. I'll try again

I would like to try and convert this model into a haptar.

n2wxb

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 11:00:01 pm »
is there a secret to posting jpg.'s

n2wxb

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 11:55:08 pm »

Insert Image:

heather valentine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 04:00:16 pm »
Freddy
i did not see the converter program
at that hapteck site
to convery files to htr
i only see people putty
if you find one can you
possibly upload it to my server?
theres an up load folder there
called upload-Zabaware-members

thank you if you can
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 06:49:01 am by heather valentine »

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 04:07:36 pm »
In answer to both questions:
Heather, the convertor program was available, but it wasn't a freebie.
I haven't used this tool, so I can't help you any further n2wxb, sorry.  Good luck!

heather valentine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 05:26:09 pm »
ok
thank you anyways

Maviarab

• View Profile
    • http://3d-fantasyportraits.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 07:31:19 pm »
n2wxb

nice looking model you got there mate.

as for using within Hal you would only be able to convert her to an msagent...as for converting her to haptek then you would more than likely need their tools and they are damn expensive.

We at digitalgirl are currently working on a way to be able to use characters made within poser (6 for me lol)...V3....Aiko etc etc...we will keep you posted.
AIDreams...The new home of the Digital Girl

www.aidreams.co.uk

n2wxb

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 06:45:07 pm »
Thanks guys, My machine had a major melt down and is away having surgery (warranty). Who Knows I might get a NEW one. In the mean time I'm rebuilding my old laptop, and will check back later. Thanks again!

n2wxb

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 09:48:49 pm »
Hi everyone, Just got my laptop back today. I want to thank every one for pointing me in the right direction. I'm busy making lots of changes to my assistant (SANDY). And I want to thank everybody for all the great knowledge and tricks. Although I can't seem to get the "read textfile" trick to work, But I do have a fullbody character and lots of great commands to start with. Was the the fullbody character a game character? She seems to know some kung-fu(arm attax). Anyway, Thank You one and all again,I'm off to read and learn more.

Arakus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 07:00:36 am »
n2wxb, sorry, but yes my site is down for the time being, I'm hoping to have it back up and running soon but can't give a deffinate date as of yet as when it will be. As to the HTR being an OBJ, yes, almost all of the HTR's around including the Full Body characters started out as Wavefront OBJ's, the software used to convert them is called the "Accessory Converter" which is available from Haptek only and costs $100.00 USD, it's designed only for things that are used for Heads only, it won't convert a Full Body Model into a usable Full Body Character, to do that you would need the DeltaSetMaker (an additional $100.00), and as I was told would also need the Full Body Mesh and Full SDK, for that I was only given a rough estimate on cost which was around $2,400.00. Hope this helps answer your questions.
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

n2wxb

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 11:57:37 am »
Thanks for that info,It throws a whole in light on things. BTW,If you need,I have a whole lot of things from poser 4 that can be exported as obj waves, such as clothing, and I have an assortment of angel wings to add to your collection, if you want?
Thanks again

GlacierClipper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 01:02:42 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Arakus

n2wxb, sorry, but yes my site is down for the time being, I'm hoping to have it back up and running soon but can't give a deffinate date as of yet as when it will be. As to the HTR being an OBJ, yes, almost all of the HTR's around including the Full Body characters started out as Wavefront OBJ's, the software used to convert them is called the "Accessory Converter" which is available from Haptek only and costs $100.00 USD, it's designed only for things that are used for Heads only, it won't convert a Full Body Model into a usable Full Body Character, to do that you would need the DeltaSetMaker (an additional $100.00), and as I was told would also need the Full Body Mesh and Full SDK, for that I was only given a rough estimate on cost which was around $2,400.00. Hope this helps answer your questions.

$2,400.00 is alot of money for the Haptek tools.

Arakus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 04:03:49 am »
n2wxb, you're welcom, I'm glad the info was helpful. I'm currently stuck with dial-up so the OBJ's would all depend on file size, clothing so far can't be done for the full bodies, I've tried and have been working on all kinds of clothing with no luck, I can try the wings you have and see how they'll work, just please try and keep the email sizes down.

GlacierClipper, Haptek normally only deals with large movie companies and game companies that can afford those kinds of prices, it's only been recently that they've gone to dealing with the public, and yes their prices are very high, even the $100.00 for the Converter is high, especially when you figure that all you get are 3 DOS applications and a Script for 3DS Max. I'm sure in time tho they'll lower their prices a bit to make things more affordable, until then we just have to sit back and wait.
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.