Author Topic: Thanks, and another question  (Read 16448 times)

n2wxb

Thanks, and another question
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 04:41:40 pm »
Can anyone tell me where to find hals auto shut down function? I have been working with this one brain for some time now, and I'm sure others in this household have been on with hal, yes I have been backing up my brain file, but for some reason hal shuts down in mid sentence. I have used the brain that I backed up, with the same result. What I want to do is defeat the shut down feature untill I find out why hal is shutting down. I did defeat the swear function when I first created the brain and have had no ill effect. I don't understand why all of asudden hal is now shutting down? Can anyone tell me where to find the function in the VB Script.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 05:42:45 pm »
What brain is in question and are you using Hal 6 beta?
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

n2wxb

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 10:26:53 pm »
The brain I'm usiing is a hal.5 brain created with the brain editor I do have other brains installed, but I suspect its the brain  I created. I have the ziggy brain,alice,XTF 1.2 and I also have hal.6
installed. But I have worked with The hal5 brain the most and would really hate to Delete it. I' ve been going through the brain files and don't see anything bad, I thought maybe someone else may have been screwing around with hals brain, maybe insulting the program, but I find nothing bad saved in any files.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 05:41:24 am »
Could any other programs be running or accessing web sites at the same time, like an auto-update for anti-spyware, Windows updates, etc.?
Is Hal's mike turned off?
You might copy the brn files and try deleting then reinstalling Hal.
Copy the brn files back to Hal's directory and give it another try.

How often does this happen?
You mentioned others in your family talk with Hal. Do they use the change user function of Hal or is everyone using your user name?

Keep us posted on this.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 07:13:56 pm by Art »

- Art -

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 10:31:51 am »
I have a suggestion for you. Any time you edit a brain file make sure you have a backup copy first before you start. When doing modifications to a brain file, only do one at a time and then test it throughly before doing another. Remember make a backup before each modification, in that way if any thing goes wrong you will not lose any  previous work. It is a lot of extra work but then again you won't lose anything that you have done that works O.K.
Just one brain surgery at at time and back before doing another.
Bill

n2wxb

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 11:03:28 am »
I do back up my brain files. and this one brain file I do not touch or do any mod work with. But I think I have found the problem. I use a haptar as a reader for reading things to large for me to sit and read, but I dropped a text file " the Speed of Gravity" by Tom Van Flandern into the Haptek Console one day,to have Sandy read to me(I have Gluacoma)And now I am finding that the text file is scattered everyway in my Sandy brain, I spent the day trying to remove it and the program has not shutdown so far.I think the file, Which is rather large and contained formulas may have been very confusing or at least the formulas might have been the problem. The strange thing is, when I went back to check Sandy, The first thing it said to me was "You like to play in my mind don't you, do you think I am stupid? do you think I don't know you are playing with my thoughts? why are you playing in my mind Jon?" and I now have a problem with the corrections brain, such as saying " you know why me shut down" instead of "you know why I shut down".I must have done something that is shunting the correction function. so I am going to create a new sandy brain to work with until I figure out what is wrong with the first one,and also spend a little more time with thee other brains. And I guess I'll have to go back to usiing a haptar as a reader to read to me instead of usiing hal to read. thanks and I'll keep in touch and let everyone know how it works out.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 02:32:34 pm »
Hmmm, did Hal start to slow down and start singing nursery rhymes?

[;)]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 07:04:23 pm »
My mind is going...I can feel it...

- Art -

n2wxb

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2005, 04:35:55 pm »
Daisy....Daisy....give...me...your...answer...do...  That I have found  in Hal[:D]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2005, 10:38:07 pm »

Art,

Hal's last words, truly the saddest moment for our hero.

"My mind is going...I can feel it..."

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 01:52:23 pm »
I saw some of 2001 the other day, it's still a fantastic film,  I was worried it might look dated, having not seen it for a few years, but it still looked good to me.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 03:11:22 pm »
I still own a copy of the movie and its follow up movie 2010. Every once in a while I watch them both. It was way ahead of its time and set the stage for more realistic movies to come. One of the main reasons it succeeded so well was that it looked do-able.
Bill