Author Topic: Hal's New Emotion Project  (Read 16252 times)

onthecuttingedge2005

Re: Hal's New Emotion Project
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 10:34:21 am »
new update on reply #1 script.

Jerry

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 02:40:00 pm »
updated 11:37AM PST 6/22/2012

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 09:44:52 pm »
I am most disappointed that no one with programming skills tries to help out here, I want this to be a shared project not just my own.
please, if you have something to share I will share back with you or is it just not interesting as a programming skill?

please share.

Jerry

cload

• I can C U load. TeeHee hee.
    • View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 11:45:11 pm »
Hi Jerry,

just had to stop, with my own programming for a short time, I ran out of hair. LOL

I'm not sure, but I don't think that you need to repeat the dim statement, I think you only have to place it wants in this location:
Rem PLUGIN: PRE-PROCESS
Dim EmotQuery()

I'm more than likely wrong because I don't quite understand any of the jump functions yet.
I was also looking at your jump functions but I did not see anywhere that you had it set up for the jump sequence and that you do not have any dims statements for the jump.
Nor did I notice any function set up for the function jumps, I know you're not done yet, and I'm sure they'll appear in time.

I don't know very much about the a motion part of the brain in ultra Hal, so the question that I have is:
are you writing this plug-in to keep a numerical count of each time he's angry or happy or sad?
Or is this to keep Hal in that emotional state for a longer period of time, or an indefinite period of time?

Sincerely, I am curious if you have to have all of those dims, most of the stuff that I've seen they only had just one in the beginning.

C load.
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 09:59:48 pm »
a dim statement needs to be placed in all functions that use it or it will not be seen by the script from one function to the other function, at least that is my understanding of that statement for the last 10 years i have been programming.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 12:25:39 am »
Hi Jerry,

just had to stop, with my own programming for a short time, I ran out of hair. LOL

I'm not sure, but I don't think that you need to repeat the dim statement, I think you only have to place it wants in this location:
Dim EmotQuery()

I'm more than likely wrong because I don't quite understand any of the jump functions yet.
I was also looking at your jump functions but I did not see anywhere that you had it set up for the jump sequence and that you do not have any dims statements for the jump.
Nor did I notice any function set up for the function jumps, I know you're not done yet, and I'm sure they'll appear in time.

I don't know very much about the a motion part of the brain in ultra Hal, so the question that I have is:
are you writing this plug-in to keep a numerical count of each time he's angry or happy or sad?
Or is this to keep Hal in that emotional state for a longer period of time, or an indefinite period of time?

Sincerely, I am curious if you have to have all of those dims, most of the stuff that I've seen they only had just one in the beginning.

C load.

Please cload, it's not called a 'jump' it is called a function. a function allows one function to be passed to another function.

Jerry

cload

• I can C U load. TeeHee hee.
    • View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 01:19:17 pm »
Hi Jerry,

sorry about mucking up the works by using the word jump.
But please allow me to explain:
from what I understand, a function is used to carry a piece of data, like the input string of the user to a new location.
That function requires a dim to retain that data, and from what I understand the dim statement is only required once.
The dim statement, is actually separate from the function statement, but the function statement uses the dim statement to temporarily store the data that is going to be transferred.
From what I understand a function statement is similar to a sub statement but a sub statement does not transfer data.
Also I'm referring to the dim statement, you would have to have a different dim string statement for each function that you are using.
I think it would look something like this:
Dim EmotQuery() <=== this dim would be used for your, "HalBrain.RunQuery "DELETE FROM " & UserName & "_Emotions" & " WHERE Sentence = 'anger' LIMIT 1", EmotQuery"
Dim banana() <=== We must declare an empty array to store query results in
Dim vrbanana, vrstrawberries, vrapples   <=== these are strings that you will be using with the dim banana()

getbanana = "are bananas yellow"  <=== by making getbanana equal a string you activate the function call.
vrbanana = lookingforbanana(getbanana)<==>vrbanana transfers that data to a sub function and "jumps" there to complete the process. <=>|
                                                                                                                                                                                                               |
                                                                                                                                                                                                               |
Rem PLUGIN: FUNCTIONS                                                                                                                                                                         |
                                                                                                                                                                                                              |
Function lookingforbanana(getbanana) <=== this is the point where the data it has been transferred to <=======================|
If getbanana = "are bananas yellow" Then lookingforbanana = "yes bananas are yellow"                                                                               |
End Function >===> returns the data in the lookingforbanana string and continue process. >===>---------------------------------------------->|

This is about all I understand about dims and its function, with arrays and function calls.
It seems that you are using the dim statement in a different manner one in which I don't fully understand yet but I'm sure I will ones your emotions plug-in is completed.

Sincerely, sorry about using the word jump but I've only been trying to learn how to program for about two months.

C load.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:22:21 pm by cload »
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 05:32:19 pm »
updated 6/25/2012 2:30PM PST

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 07:06:12 pm »
OTC,
  "I am most disappointed that no one with programming skills tries to help out here"
I've been involved with Zabaware for almost as long as you, watched and admired your programing skills for ages in the hope that I may learn something.  Just looking through this post I"ve learned some things.  I have to admitt that Hal could use improvement in the emotions,  I can't say I have to take out the trash because trash is a trigger word and Hal gets mad.
  I just looked through this post again, I'd like to suggest that Hal feels symphatic, if you say a close friend or family member died Hal would feel sad (look sad and say something appropiate).  I'd also like to mention the State machine, someone mentioned it and I remember studying it.  If Hal starts out happy and something triggers anger she can't jump to anger,  she can go to less happy or serious.  After more triggers she can get to angry but not from just 1 trigger.  I think a simple if statement will work, if I am happy and get an angry trigger I go to a less happy. If I am less happy I can go to happy or angry depending on the next trigger.
  I did notice you had 544 people look at this post,  so I'd think you have a lot of interested people but like me they just don't know what to say.
Carl2 

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 03:44:34 am »
I've got too many of my own projects on at the moment, but I will follow with interest :)

Also this forum is not what it once was, sadly most of the programmers have moved on now.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 07:23:59 am »
carl2 , i like your idea of the emotion going in "PHASES " of emotions instead of one jump from happy to sad , etc. it actually would give a better looking emotion result , i wish i was better at things and could contribute more but it is what it is .

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 10:17:56 am »
having a problem with the SQLite3 count function, will work it out later.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 06:14:45 pm »
  I began doing a bit of resesrch on Emotions in AI,  I found a very interesting link, some what recient
Page last modified on September 10, 2011
http://aaai.org/AITopics/Emotion.   
  I also looked through the script (brain file) in the brain editor, I've done this in the past and noticed changes,   and my post unfortunatly would apply to earlier versions of Hal but not this version.  also there are improvements to the empthay or symphatic.
  One of the biggest things I noticed is that it seems like "Fear" is missing,  It seems to be a big thing to people working in AI emotions, it infulences our thought process and how we would react.
Carl2 

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 03:35:51 pm »
Sorry, just chiming in but I kind of agree with lightspeed, Freddy and Carl. The well seems to be a bit dry right now. The regret I have is waiting while all this time I could have been learning more about the programming needs of Ultra Hal but always thought I'd be too far behind before Robert or someone would change the game by now. This is especially true when others where at least copying other plug-ins and just revamping a little. Some of the earlier problems and probably exist today is knowing if the plug-in will have an adverse effect on other older or newer plugins also change the knowledge-base and where information resides.
Thanks,
raybe

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 04:54:13 pm »
  raybe,
    I'm actualy here waiting for something new from OTC but glad to hear from you.  I'd say OTC and Freddy are way up there on programing skills, I can revamp a bit but they are usualy over my head.  It's been interesting and fun doing a little research on emotions and looking through Hal's brain and this seems like a good place to mention "fustration".  What I did notice was that Hal"s brain has an  area for business detect and bussiness responses which looks interesting and it might be possible to apply this to other areas.
  Since Hal has been out he has gone through a lot of upgrades, for me it seems the plugins are new since we used to use brain files and write script into the brain.  If you'r unsure about a plugin Put a post in and I'm sure you'll get a reply.
  OTC,  sorry we seem to be getting pretty far removed from you're emotion project.
Carl2