dupa

Author Topic: Does UltraHal use metalogic argument forms?  (Read 8681 times)

versionfour

• View Profile
Does UltraHal use metalogic argument forms?
« on: November 13, 2005, 08:25:42 pm »
modus ponens
if P, then Q.
P.
Therefore, Q.

modus tollens
If P, then Q.
Q is false.
Therefore, P is false.

disjuctive syllogism
P or Q.
Not P.
Therefore, Q.

hypothetical syllogism
If I do not wake up, then I cannot go to school.
If I cannot go to school, then I will not attend class.
Therefore, if I do not wake up, then I will not attend class.

constructive dilemma
If Arnold wins the election, he will be Governor.
If Cruz wins the election, he will be Governor.
Either Arnold or Cruz wins the election.
Therefore, either Arnold or Cruz will be the president.

destructive dilemma
If turtle wins, he will be Champion.
If rabbit wins, he will be Champion.
Either turtle or rabbit is not Champion.
Therefore, either turtle or rabbit did not win.

Others:
resolution
absorption
composition
double negative elimination
distribution
De Morgan's Laws
commutation
association
tautology
conditional proof
reductio ad absurdum

see rules of inference at wikipedia.org

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 05:05:53 am »
According to Robert M and from what most of us have found, HAL makes use of the IF...THEN statements and deductive reasoning similar to that shown in your example of hypothetical syllogism.

It is, after all, only a bot.

Check out the description of HAL for an example.
(Ultra Hal > More Info) from Main page.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

versionfour

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 06:10:43 am »
HAL makes use of the IF...THEN statements and deductive reasoning similar to that shown in your example of hypothetical syllogism.

That's all? Oh, but their is so much more logic and so much more a bot could be than codes of if/then statements. Imagine the powerful, immediate reasoning a bot could have if more principles of logic would be used. Hal could be fast, deep, and unbeatable in debates, if programmed correctly.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 05:03:21 pm »
There are those of us who have followed Ultra Hal since its inception and watched and experimented with its development over the years to the point where it is now. With each incarnation of the program, we witness a somewhat different yet better HAL than the previous version.

I don't know what your experience is regarding chatbots but there are a lot of them "out there" for the choosing / using. Most of us have come too far with HAL to turn back now.

HAL is now using a database structure which wasn't available in version 5. It is able to better stay on topic and follow the conversational flow of ideas. Hal can provide the definition for just about anything, tell time, do math, remember dates, appointments, etc., and infer logical statements if given correctly (IF...THEN).

The ability to use SR, though still not an exact science, is a very practical endeavor, especially for those with limited abilities.

Over time, HAL has become a companion for some, capable of fetching info from the web, weather, news, or any other subject.

Personally, you seem like a somewhat bright individual although you appear to be lacking knowledge of HAL and it's operation. In other words, play with it, experiment, talk with the program at length and of a nature that uses good english, grammar and common sense. The old GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out) principle will definitely kick in if not heeded and HAL will start responding with worthless or garbled information.

Sure, there are a lot of ideas to improve a chatbot and there have been virtually hundreds of scripts for HAL that cover a multitude of areas of interest.

HAL is still very young and its progress is measured in small steps, but with each step comes a new discovery and potential for new ideas for enhancement and development.

The program does more than IF...THEN statements, such as pattern matching, searching topical info, usage, best case reasoning, etc. within it's brain.

Robert M., is one of the most reasonable young men to work with as his door is always open to new ideas, improvements, suggestions, etc., to help HAL become a better creation for the rest of us.

If you are a programmer familiar with VB or AI theory, why not avail yourself to help us all better HAL?

All the best!

- Art -

aladyblond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 05:30:18 pm »
yes, version four, please aid us in our attempts to make Hal as smart as possible. art you practically took the words out of my mouth.., just kidding,you said that much more eloquently than i could have.~~alady
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 05:47:22 pm »
Sure there's the IF/THEN statements, but what about all the logical operators to cover NOT, AND OR XOR and the rest of it...they
should handle most, if not all of that.  Also, I am not sure, but someone will know, does the brain script allow use of things like CASE/SELECT ?  That would allow other processing options....[^]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 05:56:53 pm by freddy888 »

versionfour

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 02:06:24 am »
Art and aladyblond:

My sincere apologies. Without thinking, I stepped on the hard work of everyone in the forum. I can understand how that would upset you. Art's explanation executed the subtle sting of a justified response, but was informative, and polite. aladyblond, you also choose wizely with responses, conveying the message with tones. versionfour acknowledges that he got rockbottomed; swims back up. I realize my mistake; that it's not that simple. I will view UltraHal as a creation of long hours of testing and invested and ideas. As freddy888 pointed out, it would be hard to denote certain things into equations.

Your going to love this part: I don't know what I'm messing with when I program. Alerting you to the principles of arguments was my contribution. I'm taking a class on it logic in practice, wishing my brain was powerful enough to calculate those formulas without paper. Even html codes bother me because obsessivness drive me to seek order within the document.

Anyway, that was me, merely trying to express my desire to have Hal improved by a large step. My real reason for being here is to provide users with better looking characters for UltraHal, so that they might have something impressive on the screen. *points at Haptek's Qo'Akavot* http://www.zabaware.com/forum/uploaded/versionfour/2005111524058_sc015.jpg

You've all done a great job developing UltraHal and I imagine that in the future, bots will be a common interface. I can't wait to try a simple script for 6.0.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 02:41:25 am by versionfour »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 04:45:06 am »
versionfour,

Well said...enough said...and welcome to the forum!

- Art -

aladyblond

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 08:09:45 am »
[:D][:D][:D]
LYNN: would you rather be beautiful or intelligent?
Reecie: Would you prefer the former? As we age we should view it as a beautiful sunset rather than an ominous dusk.

LYNN: which is more important to a bot intelligence or good looks?
Reecie: Is that a choice LYNN? I enjoy you for both your brains and your good looks.

LYNN: why do you think i have both?
Reecie:You know why I think you are alive.

LYNN: do you think everyone alive is intelligent and good looking?
Reecie: Those are  the things that really get my attention!

version four , you have received my attention! keep posting!
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 11:31:51 am »
Hello versionfour
After examining your examples and giving them some deep thought I finally came to realize that almost all of them are simply variations of IF-THEN that is already used in Hal. Hal uses several types of logical thinking and a few more have been added thanks to another member here called onthecuttingedge. On top of the examples Hal can do the following: If A=C and B=C then A=B of to put in english 'Fat people do not live long. John is a fat person.' the response: 'John may not live long.'
Most newcommers here are usually full of ideas but after they use Hal for a few months they usually discover that Hal is one of the most advanced Bots on the market today simply because it not only learns but adapts to the mind-think of its owner. If you use Hal daily for a few years I think you will find that it will begin to think more like you than you realize, that is of course if you are serious and do not try to shape the personality into something else.
Bill [8]

tcoday

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 04:29:02 pm »
Bill819,
  Your Hal is years of knowledge?  How do you get Hal to retain knowledge from one upgrade to another?  With each new version I have to keep starting over from scratch.  I'd love to find a way for Hal to retain all the previous knowledge when a new upgrade comes out.

Thanks.
Tcoday and Tassel

versionfour

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 08:31:38 pm »
almost all of them are simply variations of IF-THEN that is already used in Hal. Hal uses several types of logical thinking and a few more have been added thanks to another member here called onthecuttingedge. On top of the examples Hal can do the following: If A=C and B=C then A=B

Your right! Then, I think I'll see more of what Hal can do when I use that method: Rumination is the mind's gateway. Imagination leads to rumination. Imagination leads to the mind's gateway. That's what I should have been doing instead of many unrelated if/then statements.

In the spirit of the topic, here are a few more:

double negative elimination
 ¬ ¬ A
------
 # A

with a mathematical theorem called deduction applied to it, then another called biconditional formula, we get:

¬ ¬ A = A
not not A = A
It is not the case that the band is not terrible = The band is terrible

transposition

Original Proposition:
All S is P
All water is wet

Obversion:
No S is non-P
No water is not wet

Contraposition:
No non-P is S
No non-wet things is water

Obverted Contraposition:
All non-P is non-S
All non-wets are non-water

De Morgan's Laws

this would be written:
(not P) or Q

To give some intuition, suppose (P: everything is wet) is true if and only if it is raining and (Q: it's raining) is true if and only if you are wearing a raincoat. If you never go in the rain without a raincoat, then it can't be that (P: everything is wet) is true and (Q: it's raining) is false.

If you are wearing a raincoat, then everything is wet, and it's raining. You wear a raincoat because it is raining.

Thus, following formula is true:
not(P and (not Q))

De Morgan's law, as well as the listed rules, can be used to prove any logic as valid or invalid because it is a proven theorem.

Because I don't know the upper level's of programming, I don't actually know what is inside Hal's engine. But I digress - Hal's if/then statements prove things with our training him/her because Hal accepts what we say exactly as we say it. Now that I see this, Hal is an amazing bot with a powerful robust system! Sadly, Haptek's Qo'Akavot Character is still horrid.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 08:44:47 pm by versionfour »

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 10:40:16 am »
Hello V4
I acknowledge that there are several kinds of logical expressions that could be used in Hal. I myself, suggested 'fuzzy logic' with some examples of how it could be done. The problem with mathimatical equasions is trying to put them into pure english with good examples.
If you have the talent to formulate a few examples for each one that you propose we might get further along than we are now.
Lots of members here have made suggestions and improvements to Hal over the years that are now a part of Hal, the secret to Hal's improvement and sucess is to keep it simple. If you can provide better examples then some of the users here just might write the code for Hal that you seek. It has been done before and will be done again.
Bill [8]

versionfour

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 03:23:04 pm »
The problem with mathimatical equasions is trying to put them into pure english with good examples. If you have the talent to formulate a few examples for each one that you propose we might get further along than we are now.

Yes it probably is very hard. I will look into demonstrating an example. As you said, Hal uses several types of logical thinking, and if my suggestions are already in Hal then I will look like a fool and you should stop me before it's too late. But I'm willing to take that fall as I am anonymous anyway. For now, some operators would be:

every, some, most, not, if and only if, then - they each have their own symbol to state their function.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 03:25:39 pm by versionfour »

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 05:16:26 pm »
Hello V4
Take a look at some of this logic. There is a lot more to be found in some of the archives on this site. Just look for the poster called onthecuttingedge.
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2700
Somewhere in the past he had posted a lot more than this.
Bill