Author Topic: Ultra Hal 5 Spanish Version  (Read 5562 times)

dark_templar

• View Profile
Ultra Hal 5 Spanish Version
« on: November 22, 2005, 08:47:55 pm »
First of all!, my english is very poor, I'm glad to tell you that is amazing the job that you are doing with the artificial inteligence!

Congratulations!!!

the object of this NOTE is: Do you know some kind of spanish documentation to translate all the scripts of Ultra Hal 5 to the Spanish?

If you pay attention, is very important, because this program can make a change in the way of comunication in the world! with the support of the filosofy of the new age "Free Software"...

If somebody knows...
Please answer me!
Dark_Templar (In Linux it's possible!)
South America
Venezuela

vrossi

• View Profile
    • http://vrconsulting.it
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 02:57:32 am »
Welcome to this forum!

I have asked myself the same question about Italian. My answer is that it's a very very difficult task.

The problem is not about just translating some portion of code containing english sentences, but about many other aspects.

Hal uses a Wordnet database, which is an encyclopedic dictionary, allowing him to answer many general questions. Something similar should be found for other languages.

But the main problem is about the syntax and grammar processing. When you say "You are nice", Hal has an algorithm which converts it from his point of view in "I am nice". This is relatively easy in English, which basically has no masculin or feminine, and where plural is generally simply a matter of adding an 's'. In Italian, (and i believe Spanish is the same) "nice" can be translated as "bello", "bella", "belli", "belle", according to the comnbination of singular/plural masculine/feminine.  Even worse if we analyze verbs. In English you just add "ed" for the past and "will" for the future. In Italian it is such a complex thing that I don't even try to explain it here. Irregular forms are very limited in English (I know there are about one or two hundreds irregular verbs, and that's all), while they are very common in Italian.

So, I think it's a job which would require a big effort. Maybe it will be done by some university.

But Spanish is spoken by a lot more people in the world than Italian, so maybe you can find some more help.

Bye

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 06:15:54 am »
Yes, vrossi, same story for dutch. If I understand correctly Hal uses Wordnet as dictionary. Only the English version of Wordnet is free.

aladyblond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 07:22:53 am »
dark templar ,vrossi, i certainly hear your pain. i wish a university would take on the challenge, because we are losing a valuable resource by other cultures not being able to fully interact with hal. out of my 2 years of latin i am lucky to recall vidi-vini-vinci![:D] so i couldn't be much help. MIT we are calling......[:X]~~alady
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

vrossi

• View Profile
    • http://vrconsulting.it
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 07:11:58 pm »
Thank you aladyblond. I think we must go on creating English-speaking chatbots, until they get really useful for the common people and ready to jump in the mainstream market.

Then surely some big and rich company/government/university will understand their potential and all these ideas will receive attention (and money). I hope to be there when the money comes [:D]

PS: I hope you don't mind if I remind you that the correct phrase by Julius Caesar was: "veni, vidi, vici", which (in case someone here doesn't know latin) means "I came, I saw, I won".

Bye

aladyblond

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 12:57:26 am »
i don't mind at all..[:D] its been a loooong time since latin class!!![:X]~~alady
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....