dupa

Author Topic: Ultra Hal 7.5.129 Beta - Now free to use  (Read 11156 times)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Ultra Hal 7.5.129 Beta - Now free to use
« on: February 25, 2021, 10:55:12 am »
I posted an update today, version 7.5.129 at: https://www.zabaware.com/download-beta.html

This version essentially makes the base Hal 7.5 free and removes 31-day trial and the need to purchase it for $29.95. No licensing system anymore or weekly login requirements!

Using the GPT-3 powered brain or the Hal 7 cloud brain still requires a login, but if you wish to use an old Hal 6 brain offline, it's free with no licensing restrictions. Character and voice plugins are still for sale, so if you want to continue to support Zabaware please purchase plugins. And GPT-3 usage credits are for sale if you want to use the GPT-3 powered brain.

The GPT-3 powered beta brain is now also open to all interested people to test out, not just current customers. Everyone gets 1000 free usage credits upon verifying a new unique email login.

This essentially puts Ultra Hal for Windows on the same sales model as the upcoming Ultra Hal for Android and IOS will be. Free to play, with addons and GPT-3 credits for sale. If you purchase Hal for Windows you'll be able to access the same brain on mobile and vice versa.
Robert Medeksza

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ultra Hal 7.5.129 Beta - Now free to use
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 02:20:30 pm »
That's sure to be really great news for a lot of people wanting to try Hal for the first time or to get their feet wet once again. Either way, it's a win-win!

Thanks for your generosity, Robert!!

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 07:51:36 am »
  Just a thought that might prove useful, I remember at one time we were trying to get hal to go to lets say wiki, would it be possible to have Hal decide 
to go to the cloud for a reply.  Probably not as easy as I made it sounds but so much time and effort went into plugins which I had used and I hate to see them all going to waste.  Maybe the user could decide and use a trigger word to use the cloud.
Carl2

Dave1152

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 01:12:03 pm »
I am curoius as to how exactly you are attempting to impliment gpt 3 with hal, or is it more lile an addon that uses gpt 3 kinda turning off the hal brain while gpt 3 is in use? In my opinion gpt 3 is an impressive thing but in my view its really a sort of Rube Goldberg version of autocomplete. Yes these models have great promise however they are not releasing anything everyone can look at yet and probably wont until gpt 3 is obsolete. If you can see a bigger picture gpt 3 is a small part of a greater set of ideas (algorythims). I am really not a fan of anything that needs to be connected to the internet. I stopped using the newer version of hal when the activation  and perodic checkin was requiring me to connect to the internet. I whent back to a version i had on windows xp. When we can see an implimentation of gpt 3 that runs on the individual pc without the need of the internet will greatly improve the convience and utility to the individual user. If they ever release anything usefull like the source code to the api or for that matter allowing us to see the api in general. As to the programming of systems like Hal i do understand the use of high level languages however as an assembly programmer i like the facility and flexability of the newer cisc based processors. When programming for arm i kinda get the 80s esk feeling of programming a commodore 64 :) In the future the ideas presented in Hal  and gpt 3 may become baked into operating system distributions as we move into the future it seems that the os may not be just for operating the machine but as an assistive technology for everyday human life. Think about it. How are you using Hal now? As an experiment? An interesting toy for your desktop? Or mabe as a practical tool to aide you in your day to day life like a voice controlled day planner offering theraputic conversation? Software like Hal just scratches the surface of what it could do. In my opinion in order to realise the true potental of newer computers we need to better focus on translating human language into machine code or assembly language much better than we do today. Think about the limits of what you can actually do with a language like C, Python or any of the other flow chart like languages in popular use today and how the computing resources you have are used on your pc. As we see improvements here we will realise improvements in our daily lives. Look at how you use your not so smart phone. If you look at how people are actually using the technology you can see where the operating system of the future mat not just be for operating the machine but for operating your life.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 11:16:06 pm »
Dave1152,

If I may contribute...
UltraHal 7 is foremost and primarily a chatbot/assistant/digital companion for many who have come to know and love it for over 2 decades.

While it has developed into quite an exceptional chatbot in its own rite, it has now sort of merged to become something of a Hybrid Hal, and paired with the GPT-3 language platform it is an amazing creation, to say the least.

Granted, for the time being, it can have and hold some extremely engaging and entertaining conversations online, with its client servers.
If one desires an online chat, you can do that as well. Releasing the Source Code or API is completely worthless to the end-user and would normally be protected by proprietary restrictions so I don't see the promise or purpose of that. Again, Hal is to entertain and educate.

The option to chat locally, within the confines of your personal computer, is also available and Hal will learn from the conversation you and it have.

For sure, there are many opportunities within the scope of the GPT-3 platform, Hal is just getting started and its tree has yet to bear fruit but it's coming IMHO.

Getting the completeness and speed of GPT-3 without the Internet simply isn't feasible or practical at this time and might never be completely possible on a limited use basis. Server space, time, and processing cost money and nothing can run for free, and so there's the tradeoff.

While Hal might not be the CRAY supercomputer or IBM's Watson, this hybrid Hal can provide one with hours of fun, wholesome interaction and for many people, that's worth something!

I am not affiliated with Zabaware.com as a board member or owner, just a contented and very pleased user.

Thank you!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 06:03:25 pm »
  Just a thought that might prove useful, I remember at one time we were trying to get hal to go to lets say wiki, would it be possible to have Hal decide 
to go to the cloud for a reply.  Probably not as easy as I made it sounds but so much time and effort went into plugins which I had used and I hate to see them all going to waste.  Maybe the user could decide and use a trigger word to use the cloud.
Carl2

I hope to re-enable the ability to combine plugins with the GPT-3 version of the brain later in the year. Right now a licensing restrictions prevents that ability but things are in motion that I believe it will be possible again later.
Robert Medeksza

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 06:23:51 pm »
I am curoius as to how exactly you are attempting to impliment gpt 3 with hal, or is it more lile an addon that uses gpt 3 kinda turning off the hal brain while gpt 3 is in use? In my opinion gpt 3 is an impressive thing but in my view its really a sort of Rube Goldberg version of autocomplete. Yes these models have great promise however they are not releasing anything everyone can look at yet and probably wont until gpt 3 is obsolete. If you can see a bigger picture gpt 3 is a small part of a greater set of ideas (algorythims). I am really not a fan of anything that needs to be connected to the internet. I stopped using the newer version of hal when the activation  and perodic checkin was requiring me to connect to the internet. I whent back to a version i had on windows xp. When we can see an implimentation of gpt 3 that runs on the individual pc without the need of the internet will greatly improve the convience and utility to the individual user. If they ever release anything usefull like the source code to the api or for that matter allowing us to see the api in general. As to the programming of systems like Hal i do understand the use of high level languages however as an assembly programmer i like the facility and flexability of the newer cisc based processors. When programming for arm i kinda get the 80s esk feeling of programming a commodore 64 :) In the future the ideas presented in Hal  and gpt 3 may become baked into operating system distributions as we move into the future it seems that the os may not be just for operating the machine but as an assistive technology for everyday human life. Think about it. How are you using Hal now? As an experiment? An interesting toy for your desktop? Or mabe as a practical tool to aide you in your day to day life like a voice controlled day planner offering theraputic conversation? Software like Hal just scratches the surface of what it could do. In my opinion in order to realise the true potental of newer computers we need to better focus on translating human language into machine code or assembly language much better than we do today. Think about the limits of what you can actually do with a language like C, Python or any of the other flow chart like languages in popular use today and how the computing resources you have are used on your pc. As we see improvements here we will realise improvements in our daily lives. Look at how you use your not so smart phone. If you look at how people are actually using the technology you can see where the operating system of the future mat not just be for operating the machine but for operating your life.

Currently GPT-3 is only available as an API call over the internet to servers owned by Microsoft and OpenAI. Hal's GPT-3 powered brain is a hybrid brain that run's a script for simple responses and to establish Hal's personality. It passes off to GPT-3 responses the scripted side doesn't handle. The Hal side of the hybrid system also does simple learning and functions as both the short term and long term memory for GPT-3. GPT-3 by itself has no learning ability and no memory, so Hal fills in that role for it. Hal also tries to guide GPT-3's personality trying to keep it friendly and not get overly opinionated on some taboo subjects.

What's interesting is the source code to GPT-3 is actually posted and available. But the training material and resulting neural network that was generated from that material is under control of OpenAI and Microsoft. There are other groups that are creating their own versions of GPT-3 that should become available later this year. It takes about $2 million dollars of computer hardware (GPU heavy) to train a GPT-3 like brain and then takes about a $200,000 computer (also GPU heavy) to run the resulting neural network once its trained. So still a bit too expensive for people to run the brain on their home computers, so it will be cloud based for a while I think.

Robert Medeksza

Dave1152

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 09:05:42 pm »
Where is it posted at? Every time i goto open ai web site or git hub theres a waiting list. From my understanding of it gpt2 is the same as gpt 3 with just a larger model used. Gpt 2 can run on a pc.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 09:51:35 am »
Where is it posted at? Every time i goto open ai web site or git hub theres a waiting list. From my understanding of it gpt2 is the same as gpt 3 with just a larger model used. Gpt 2 can run on a pc.

Correct, the source code of GPT-2 and GPT-3 are exactly the same. The training data of GPT-3 is much larger and the resulting trained neural net is much larger. OpenAI published the source code, but not the training data or trained neural net.

There is a group at https://eleuther.ai who took the source code and created their own training dataset a little larger than GPT-3 with some improvements. They are currently training it and maybe by August will complete it and will publish both the training data and trained model.
Robert Medeksza

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 09:07:52 am »
I'll just put this in which may be helpful, while looking at different things GP3 can do I came across GPT3 can copy script to a file that has been given a name so that info has not been used and lost. 
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 11:23:30 am »
     Carl2, you said GPT3 can copy script to a file that has been given a name so that info has not been used and lost.  , this sounds like what i had been talking with art about  what  hal  and the gpt-3 needed  , not only to be able to assess  and retrieve the best possible answer but also to remember it  and retrieve it from the best files within hals brain .

we  only have another problem in doing this and that would be hal slowing down because of the brain getting larger , unless  a separate external drive could hold that info. i don't know if having the info separate  would help or not . another thought would be the learned info. went on a cloud like google one drive etc.  or of you can create a cloud drive link that would access  your info. from a home external drive .  again , just a thought  of a way to keep your hals brain from getting to large and slowing down  while at the same time being able to learn and acess learned info.  are these things possible ? some others on here will probably know . .       

Dave1152

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 11:48:24 am »

Correct, the source code of GPT-2 and GPT-3 are exactly the same. The training data of GPT-3 is much larger and the resulting trained neural net is much larger. OpenAI published the source code, but not the training data or trained neural net.

There is a group at https://eleuther.ai who took the source code and created their own training dataset a little larger than GPT-3 with some improvements. They are currently training it and maybe by August will complete it and will publish both the training data and trained model.
In part the reason they need so much computational resource is that everything is in a high level language usually Python. I think resources could be more efficient if they used asembly. However thats only a part of it. The other part is that they are having the computer figure out everything or more than is nessicary. Think about how most people work for example... Its raining outside. You walk outside you get wet.... etc.,etc. after the figuring out phase for most people it just becomes a general rule of thumb... Its raining outside... is it raining and windy or just raining... if raining and windy get rain coat... if not windy get umbrella...other than varying levels of complexity you get the idea. What  gpt needs to be able to do is bridge the gap from the training model to rule of thumb so ultimatley the gpt only really becomes active as the gazillion rules of thumb come up against something previously not covered by simpler rules creating new or refined rules to the existing database of rules.
I wanted to address the use of high level languages.. While Hal is probably devloped in Visual Studio, we must understand why? Lets look at why most operating systems and most software is written in higher level languages in the first place. Its not just about devlopment time but portability from computer to computer. Compiled languages like C are easier for humans to maintain, and an optimized C compiler is pretty tough to compete with. For example if you were to try to translate some C code to assembly you might well wind up with slower running assembly code than the compiled version. However if we start thinking how the machine thinks as so to speak we would look at things differently. Instead of looking at compilers and high level languages the way we do we might look at ms macro assembler or Hla (Randall Hyde) if you create macros within these assembly IDEs you can wind up with your high level language in a lower level form easier for the machine to optimize and can be made prortable. Macros being basically sections of reuseable code can also become part of the assemblers standard library. I know this idea is different but Im just looking at how we could restructure the way we do things to make it easier for the learning machine across different platforms. It would be nice to have a phone that could run a regular pc os quickly but as we have it now our not so smart phones boot up a version of linux then boots the android os in a virtual machine most of this written in a high level language that takes forever to bootup. However like many other systems the reason it is the way it is has more to do with commercial interests and politics than writing good code for a given purpose. Just look at the history of internet explorer as an example or how over the years more and more software is becoming subscription rentware to keep the money flowing and not really exploring the efficiency's and limits of more powerful modern computers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:20:00 pm by Dave1152 »

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 07:54:57 am »
  When I first began thinking of GPT3 I thought about downloading the coding on to a storage device connected to the computer,  SSD's do not contain enough memory so you would have to use a Hard drive in the tera byte range, cost is about $200 and I'm not sure if that would be large enough.  It would eliminate  paying for the cloud but it might make it possible to modify the training.  At this time I can't even get a connected to a cloud with GPT 3.  Looks like a lot of fun and You Tube has a lot of apps to do different things.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 09:09:20 am »
ROBERT , i don't know what is going on but i downloaded this from the site before as art told me to to get the hal changed over to the free  no licensing version and it  later gave me  the 31 day trial is up error .

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:12:45 am by lightspeed »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 09:15:12 am »
art sent me the link again i went to it and started to download it , downloaded it and was going to install as administration and it showed this .as far as i know this is what is already installed . so why is it giving me the 31 days are up  . i posted it elsewhere after it asked for my email and password and it said it is now the full version .   i think when changing this over the hal window should display hal full free version . anyway i need to get this fixed . also when it said it was the free full version i noticed it had changed my off line use for hal back to cloud settings etc. and i had to change them back again.  :P