Author Topic: A few questions about brains...  (Read 1775 times)

OrenNix

• View Profile
A few questions about brains...
« on: August 25, 2022, 04:26:48 am »
Hi! A few questions about Hal's settings (I've been trawling the forum history, I swear)..

• What difference does changing brains between Default, Blank Slate and GTP3 Neural Net have on A: Hal's intelligence, and B: whether or not I can influence Hal's personality/learning?
  • Same question for Cloud vs Local learning (what does setting halfway do exactly?), and the Intelligence vs Local learning slider if you select Local learning only first. 
  • Where are the brain files stored? I've found Hal Brain.DB but I can't find the individual brains.
  • How do I wipe a brain clean?
  • Hal 7.5's GPT3 Neural Net - I can't use this with any plugins, right? Is that because they're redundant and implemented, or because they're too difficult to implement just yet? What are the pros/cons of using the Neural Net vs the default brain with cloud learning and a bunch of plugins?
  • Am I supposed to be able to launch the Brain Editor currently? I get this error on attempting to:
    "Run-time error '-2147221164 (80040154)':
    Class not registered"
  • Also, I'm curious, it says that cloud learning is best for transitioning Hal between PC and Mobile, but there isn't a mobile version of Hal yet is there?

TLDR: Please could someone break down the different brain options for me to help me choose, and is there an easy way to wipe a brain clean?

Thanks so much for your time!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 04:39:12 am by OrenNix »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions about brains...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 09:34:31 am »
Hopefully, an answer will be forthcoming to your inquiries...

In the meantime, keep digging.

Hal was previously Ultra Hal Assistant and was capable of many cool things back in the day. While many of these earlier Plugins are still to be found, they may or may not necessarily work with our most current version of HAL.

Hal is NOT able to learn from the GPT-3 Davinci or Curie models but it can produce some engaging and thought-provoking conversations.

The individual brains are stored in the <filename.db> files.
One can explore or edit them with an editor like SQLitestudio, which is FREE.

It takes a bit to learn how to use it correctly but always make a copy or backup BEFORE messing with Hal's brains.

If you're just using HAL's Default Brain then the Brain Editor within Hal should suffice.

Everything is now placed into various Tables instead of individual small files like in years past.

The SLIDER thing determines how much or little HAL will use any learned information. Leaving it just a little bit to the right of center seems to work well for a lot of us. Some like around 30 - 35 for good results.

Word is that a Mobile version for HAL is being considered/worked on but we've no official status report on that as yet.

Hopefully, Robert will weigh in on a few of your concerns.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 09:39:21 am by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

OrenNix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 12:42:42 pm »
Thanks! This is all really helpful!

LiFeTimeGamer

• View Profile
    • LifeTimeGamer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 09:38:47 pm »
I set up a folder on my PC for HAL Brains and once a month or so after teaching HAL I would copy the HalBrain.db file in to a sub folder that I used the current date for the name... Then in another month or so if I thought there were too many mistakes in the brain I could go back and copy one I knew was good and replace the one in Hals main folder and then continue on from there... Needless to say I messed up a lot while teaching HAL in the beginning, plus it gives you a "Clean Backup of the Brain" in case for some reason it gets corrupt...

These days I take it slow and easy and use the SQLiteStudio Editor to fix things in the brain...
When it comes to Artificial Intelligence: The Soul is in the Software.