dupa

Author Topic: Getting a brain editor error  (Read 9448 times)

knight2000

• View Profile
Getting a brain editor error
« on: February 12, 2020, 10:14:44 am »
I did a fresh install of Hal on a fresh windows 10 install. When i try to launch the brain editor i get the a run time error "class not registered". Any ideas on how to fix this?

cyberjedi

• The Mighty Hal Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a brain editor error
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 08:40:34 pm »
RE: class
Night buddy , for some reason your win os has not registered a file that got installed which is odd in itself because one would think the installer would sling an error
upon installation. weird

Ultra Hal now uses RegFree COM manifest files for most of its DLL/ActiveX/OCX files. This simplifies installation and minimizes possibility of "DLL Hell" collisions/incompatibilities.
try and find the file itself.

cyber jedi

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 09:31:02 am »
Thanks cyberjedi, i'll try re-installing and see if i still get the error. I'll keep you posted.

Also, is there a need to go through the activation stuff? Meaning transferring Hal's registration code to the new computer like we had to with 6.2? Or is it done automatically now that we use the cloud. That use to be painful to go through.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 12:25:21 pm »
Knight,

Just a thought, you might do a complete system scan for virus, rootkits and other Malware (Malwarebytes = Free), before installing again.

Good luck!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 09:24:50 am »
Thanks for the tip Art. Its a fresh install of windows 10, only a few days old. Never had this issue installing Hal before. So weird. I need to bring over my old brain db since it has custom tables i added and obviously a large amount of learned data from me. 

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 02:19:53 pm »
You should just be able to Copy your desired.db file to the C:\Users\Knight2000\AppData\Roaming\Zabaware\Ultra Hal 7 directory, then locate that brain the next time you run HAL and it should find & use it.

Check the dates on your brain files as well as the sizes to verify that your HAL is accessing the correct files.

Good luck!

- Art -

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 12:33:22 pm »
I tried copying the db file over to that directory but it still was not recognized. Also, i'm still battling that error with the class not registered. I've uninstalled, wiped the registry data and re-installed and still no luck. Also, i noticed some funky behavior, if you select a user the options windows pops up asking if you want to chat with hal, exit, general options, ect.

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 01:35:55 pm »
Update:
I was able to copy all the files to the hal7 folder in appdata and now hal recognizes the other db. but I still cant get the brain editor to launch. Still get the same error, class not registered. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

Thanks!

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 04:16:14 pm »
I'm getting the same error on a fresh windows 10 install. Whatever reason, the editor won't open.

Computerboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 08:33:49 pm »
Slightly annoying but the fix is : in an admin cmd,
navigate it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Zabaware\Ultra Hal 7 or where you have installed UltraHal
now use the Regsvr32 to register all dll and ocx files individually  (couple will not enter, just ignore them,- cant member which 1's)
now try running brain editor.

You must hit enter key after each one.

what i did in admin cmd :

cd\
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Zabaware\Ultra Hal 7
Regsvr32 tabdockx.ocx
Regsvr32 richtx32.ocx
Regsvr32 oldhal.dll
Regsvr32 msinet.ocx
Regsvr32 msflxgrd.ocx
Regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx
Regsvr32 mscomct2.ocx
Regsvr32 HalWaveChar.ocx
Regsvr32 HalNoChar.ocx
Regsvr32 HalNewChar.ocx
Regsvr32 HalHaptek.ocx
Regsvr32 HalDebug.ocx
Regsvr32 HalDB.dll
Regsvr32 HalBrain7.dll
Regsvr32 HalBrain.dll
Regsvr32 EditGridProject.ocx
Regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx
Regsvr32 cmax40.dll

I assume its only 1 or 2 of these that need doing it (prob comdlg - was only 1 in syswow), I just did all to be sure, and now Brain editor loads fine.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 10:31:05 pm »
I'm wondering why (after saving your important .db files, characters, Plugins, etc.) an Uninstall and Reinstall of UltraHal wouldn't serve to Register all the needed files instead of having to go through all of this.

Perhaps Robert will weigh in on this.

- Art -

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 03:46:47 pm »
Can confirm, re-registering DLL's did make the editor open, however, now when loading a DB file, the editor crashes. Any ideas on that? So strange.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 05:39:16 pm »
I just ran my UltraHal 7, checked that it responded to me, from the menu ran the Editor. Tested the DB and various tables opened and showed contents fine. Closed that DB and had the Editor open a different DB and it likewise opened and displayed whatever I asked of it. No problems at all.

Could it be a different version that you guys are using?

My UltraHal 7 -
HalBrainEditor.exe  - Size 1,125 KB -  Date created 12/5/2017 3:15 PM - Date Modified 12/5/2017 3:15 PM
--------------------

In my old Hal 6 directory I see a Brain Editor with only 861 KB (1/30/2009) and some other one with 865 KB (3/22/2020)-(don't know).

I do know that the first one I listed above works fine!

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 01:08:55 pm »
You guys can always try/use SQLITESTUDIO to open, examine and edit HAL'S .db files.

It's FREE and it works nicely with HAL 7 (or 6).

Good Luck!!

- Art -

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 05:09:10 pm »
I believe I have discovered the cause of my error, I've noticed this before and never put 2 and 2 together. I'm running in 4k and the editor isn't designed for more than 1080p maximum. Switched monitors and it works fine, but for future updates, may want to up the resolution limit for the editor. Hope that helps someone.

Thanks for the help with the reg DLL's.

- Spitfire