Author Topic: why does my skin reject the button pics?  (Read 5270 times)

versionfour

• View Profile
why does my skin reject the button pics?
« on: January 04, 2006, 03:53:58 pm »
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/uploaded/versionfour/200614154155_sc042.jpg

All files seem to be in the right place and the code looks flawless. I even checked for unwanted spaces and such. All four buttons refuse to load and cause error 421 in lines 23, 24, 25, and 26. (invalid picture) The jpegs are mode rgb, 8-bit, compression 8. I can't accept this. Have you had this problem? This is making me feel betrayed by UltraHal! Look, it's raining outside because the angels are crying.

Scratch

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 04:42:38 pm »
is it possible the x in the file name (...menux.jpg) is conflicting with the skinMenuX parameter? Might try changing the name and see if the error still occurs.

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 04:45:36 pm »
Tough problem, but these things happen to me too when making skins for Hal. Try saving the pics in .bmp-format and see of they start working inside the skin, because they can be .bmp's as well. [:D]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 05:01:42 pm »
I dont recall it being critical but do the jpg sizes match the sizes declared in the uhp?

versionfour

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 06:27:57 pm »
Scratch, Dr. Benway - the x was allowed in my last skin. I add the x because the pic is used when the area is clicked. I will try removing the x as well as shorter names. And I will make .bmp's. Freddy888, you might have a point. iirc the character background pics were allowed to scale, but that might not be the case with the rest of the pics. I will post the results...

versionfour

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 07:50:15 pm »
Okay, thank you all for the assistance. Here are the results. I believe the buttons can be named anything. It is absolutely critical that the jpeg sizes match the defined parameters in the uhp. The 481 error will occur if the jpeg is too large. I don't know what will happen if the jpeg is too small. Also, the jpeg must be rgb or else there will be visible errors. However, if it is a bmp then it will resize itself to the parameters.

I'm going to have to go back and resize everything. It was that photoshop measuring tool. It reads a 4 x 4 box as 3 x 3. Therefore all my sizes and positions were off by 1.

The angels are not crying anymore.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 07:52:41 pm by versionfour »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 04:45:01 am »
V4,

If your "clicked on" jpg is smaller than your original menu one,
you will just end up with an artifacted kind of image when one
clicks on it. It will appear to shrink as it's clicked.

I use PSP and it's measuring cursor seems to be right on.

Glad your problem is resolved.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 06:29:07 am »
Thanks versionfour, I found your information helpful and I am glad you got it worked out [8D]