Author Topic: Lost markets for AI developers  (Read 2309 times)

castonguayh

• View Profile
    • http://www.nashua.edu/castonguayh
Lost markets for AI developers
« on: October 31, 2009, 08:48:08 am »
I am a teacher who has been using Hal in the classroom for 2 years. When I first got Hal, I tried to clean up the jokes & insults (kids love jokes and insults)and it was labor intensive and I finally gave up and just deleted the folders.

I searched for appropriate characters, and it was only due to the cooperation of developers that I was able to find appropriate ones.

I have look at incorporating Hal Windows and found that the available version is not kid appropriate. However, they have gractiously offered to create a "clean" version for me.

Here is the rub. My students love the programs and characters and are constantly asking me what they are and where I got them. I can't tell them because of what they would encounter when they get to the sites and what the programs contain. I tell them to have their parents call me so I can give them the details.

We want to see a more broad based use of AI, and yet we market it in such a way that it can't be used in our offices, homes, or classrooms without significant effort. Most people are not programers nor would they want to make that effort involved in cleaning up everything for general use.

I am not a prude. I am someone who sees great potential. We are discourging the use of AI for anyone but those who already using it.

Why not market the clean versions and offer the alterative if desired instead of the other way around?

HANK

lightspeed

• View Profile
Lost markets for AI developers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 01:48:40 pm »
i see what you are saying and understand the need for a clean version , i imagine a clean (completly clean version was an after thought ) i can see where if they had a clean version it would benefit them more as to where teachers etc. could use it without it offending anyone as is , but that of course is up to the creator if he wants to create another clean version as an option . [:)]