dupa

Author Topic: One of these is not like the other.  (Read 4311 times)

CyborgBob

• Any idea what I should put here?
    • View Profile
One of these is not like the other.
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:04:57 am »
Okay Newbe here, and I have no idea if this has ever been covered, or maybe there is a way to do this now. I want to teach Hal things that are similar. Like Babies are to humans, as puppies are to dogs? I was looking at the VRfreewill plug in and I love the( "" every "" is ) Syllogism Management part. I've shown Hal that "Every Human is Mortal" "Every Boy is Human""Every Girl is Human""Every Man is Human",and "Every Baby is Human". {Something I didn't understand but wanted to note When I said "Every Woman is Mortal" Hal I think just said "I know thatWoman is Mortal you told me that." Think it was because I said "Every Girl is Human" first?} When I said Kelly is a Girl. Hal responded as the Plugin is set up... Worked great and I had Lots of fun with it. Now that being said It made me think of Similarities... Like I said Babies are to humans like puppies are to dogs. Hand is to human like Wing is to bird. This way if you say something like look at that baby dog maybe Hal could say Baby Dogs are called Puppies. Or at least know that I was talk about a Puppy when I say Baby Dogs. Also I THINK I understand that the VRfreewill uses "trigger words" to work. Like "Every" and "Any" is there a way to add "All" There isn't an easy way to say this but it took me a half hour to get this plugin to work because I would say "All Humans are Mortal" and not "Every Human is Mortal". I'm not a programmer at all, and I have no idea if this: has been, can't be, or could be done, but I would Love to know more.

Thanks for Looking,
               CyborgBob

Anyways just a guy goofing off.
“Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Nikola Tesla
“A Machine to End War” (Liberty, February, 1935)

cload

• I can C U load. TeeHee hee.
    • View Profile
    • A link to my sky Drive
Re: One of these is not like the other.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 02:12:54 pm »
Hi Bob,
when you say (all) are you saying that you do not like using the word (every)?
Or is it that you feel it's more natural to say the word (all)?
In either case, if you make a duplicate command line in the free will plug-in where the word every is being used, place it directly underneath the original line and change the word (every) to (all).
But for myself, I understand why the original programmer of the free will plug-in did not use the word (all) because there is a difference between talking to ultra Hal and training ultra Hal.
Sincerely, a data munching cruncher.
C load.
PS when you say: every mankind is mortal. Then say: every human is mortal. You get some interesting results, always think backward from what you want ultra Hal to understand.
As in: A animal is mortal but why is the animal mortal? You need to back up and finds the top of the pyramid, then work your way down. Meaning: mankind refers to every man woman and child human is mortal.
If you are really interested how, ultra Hal compiles the information all you have to do is crack open a thesaurus.
For anyone who would like to help me stay online, my T-mobile broadband pay-as-you-go phone number is: 816-248-4335, thank you in advance.

NoamI

• View Profile
Re: One of these is not like the other.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:41:09 pm »
'All' and 'every' are universal quantifiers, but there is a tendency to
pluralize the complements with 'all'.  For example: 'All cats have tails.'
This gives less info than 'Every cat has a tail.'  You could say: 'All cats have a tail.',
but that gets confused with all cats sharing one tail.  I prefer storing universals
in the singular form (every).  When you mention 'some cats' or 'black cats', I still
refer to the universal 'cat', but store the data as rules.  For example:
'Black cats are scary' can be stored as:
every cat
may[be] black
if cat [be] black
[then] [be] scary

The biggest challenge is knowing whether a statement is universal (defining) or an instance,
since we so often omit the qualifiers:
A cat is a mammal. (defining)
Cats eat mice. (defining)
A cat is eating. (an instance because the verb is not infinite)
Cats are on the bed. (instances because locations are not universal)