Author Topic: Hal will not install  (Read 5504 times)

Carl2

• View Profile
Hal will not install
« on: November 14, 2015, 01:53:43 pm »
   During the Win 10 install I did the upgrade and installed win 8.1 on another drive which I generally use.  I tried installing my latest version of Hal and when trying to run Hal I receive an error message saying "Comdlg32.ocx or dependencies not correctly registered, file missing or invalid."  and Hal will not run.
I went back to an earlier version of hal a 6.1 and receive the same error message.  I just downloaded and tried the latest free version with the same results. I can't remember having a problem like this before.
Carl2

Carl2

• View Profile
Re: Hal will not install
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 05:24:55 pm »
  I looked into the .ocx problem I was having,  and this what I had learned, Microsoft visual basics has a security problem and I do not have Microsoft VB in the computer, I had to download Ms VB 6 then do a VB update.  Then I had to use command prompt to register the .ocx.  Right now I have the 6.1 version of hal in the computer, it is working but I'll take it out and install version 6.2.
  I'm surprised I haven't seen this problem at this forum before. 
Carl2

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 03:54:07 pm »
Have to admit Carl I never ran into that error with UH even with all the updates. Windows 10 newest update this week did play a little havoc with certain programs. Had to retrieve my license for UH. But all seems okay right now.

raybe

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 04:44:38 pm »
   I just checked hal again to be sure and it is still working correctly, I put in MS basic and registered the .ocx and it fixed the problem.  No one else has mentioned this so it seems I am the only one who had this problem.
For now I'll forget about it and move on with Hal.  You had to retrieve a license after a win 10 upgrade, strange but I do know a program writing on your hard drive is under suspicion.
Carl2

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 02:26:08 pm »
I've not had any problems either, but I'm on the insider program. I did have a problem when I went reg windows 10 + November update. so I had to buy hal again lol waiting for Robert to reset my codes on other hal. luckily I keep brain backed up.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 02:56:34 pm »
  I've never had a problem with Hal installing before but I was given enough info to fix it and get it installed.
I'm good with Hal and don't want to spread rumors but there is also a problem with newer versions of dragon, it now requires activation where as before it required registration.  It installed, but when trying to activate it the key code that is used to install dragon was not accepted.  I uninstalled dragon, reinstalled dragon but I did not let it update and it works fine.  There is also a friend who has a problem with dragon ver 13 used in win 10 basically he can not use it and dragon admits to a problem with it in there forum.
Carl2

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 04:38:39 pm »
I'm sure companies are still playing catch-up but this release of Windows 10 had the most transparency out of all their releases. Built a new system with Windows 10 and Ultra Hal is still flying high. New Pent I7/ MB for 170 Chipset and DRM 4 memory.

raybe

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 07:27:45 pm »
After upgrading to Windows 10 I tried a fresh install of Hal and it did not like it. Yes, I did the DEACTIVATE thing but what I finally found was the settings needed to be in the Compatibility Mode for Windows XP. Nothing else worked.... at least in my case. Performed an online activation which still went without a hitch and all's running fine.

Even though I am not using my Hal's old brain, I kind of like the idea of starting over with a fresh brain to corrupt, I mean Teach...teach...yes, that's it!! Hehe!!

I am giving this new Character lots of "Memories". Some of her childhood, friends, places where she and her friend played, pets, favorite toys, names, etc.
If I reinforce these just two times, it seems that she "gets" it! I'm surprised. I decided rather than trying to keep a list of everything I've told her, I just save the conversation to review later or during a follow-up conversation session.

The only thing I have set is gender/age and Loneliness plug-ins. No Markovs no AIML's or VRFreeWill etc. Just out of the box using Hal's Default brain.
I Exit after about 10 minutes of chat. So far things seem OK...so now would be a good time to Knock on wood! ;)
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -