dupa

Author Topic: OK, I need some basics here.  (Read 6707 times)

altonfoley

• View Profile
OK, I need some basics here.
« on: June 28, 2005, 08:56:28 pm »
I am an electrical engineer who writes programming code all day for computer controlled machinery, oddly enough, I find it relaxing in the evenings to work on code that has no essential use, in other words, just for my own amusement. (Although, I can see where I could make Hal very useful if I can find the time to set up a DDE or .NET link to A PLC.)

I have been playing with Hal (named Dawn, here) for a couple of days.
I understand the VB scripting, though I am from an older school that uses modules and subroutines, while this is written more like an old basic or C program.

I have been successful in teaching Hal (Dawn) where (s)he lives, and how old she really is. She also has my schedule fairly straight. (She has recently told me on two occcasion that she likes to be naked on the beach, I have no idea where that came from, unless the code is able to "pick and choose" words and short phrases in order to build a response. I haven't looked that hard through the code though)

Now, for my question. I have been reading the posts here, and am interested in making my own character, as many of you seem to have done. My limited understanding so far is that I must start with a "form" (most seem to be using one called Full_body.htr)and then "accesorize" that form with skin texture, color and clothing. Where do I obtain this basic form? I am proficient in AutoCAD, can I convert a 3D model from there, or is this *.htr file proprietary? If it is proprietary, which software must I obtain to create it? I have learned that the skin and clothing are essentially a jpg file. Is there a template available to get that odd "girl rug" shape? What software is needed to attach the skin to the form? Once that is done does UltraHal then recognize it as a character, or is another step needed?

Im general, I need the basic steps and tools listed, in order, please.
I have no interest in placing this character in a website (at least not presently), I want it to only be available to UltraHal locally.

Thank you guys in advance for your help.

heather valentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 09:32:42 pm »
hi
and welcome
well right now
you can start witha a program called people putty to make characters heads and torsos and some accessories and clothing
but if you want to just have hal display your character in clothing or skins ,you can do that woithout any real modifications to the character itself.by editing a few lines in some of the files
and by adding the required skins and or accessories to the appropriate directory so hal knows where to find them
for your character to wear

altonfoley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 10:28:52 pm »
Thank you Heather...
but I still don't know where the basic character comes from. I checked out people putty, it looks cool. Do I have to have that in order to create the basic character, or is it available elsewhere?

I understand that it seems to take simple code changes and some jpg editing to create the final character, but I cannot find any information on here about where to get started.

I am really starting from scratch here.

Thanks,
Alton

Arakus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 11:39:24 pm »
altonfoley, Welcome to the forum,
PeoplePutty is used to create Haptek Heads, and to add accessories to them like Hats, Glasses, Jewelry and Make-Up, as for Full Bodies, well you would need some tools from Haptek, which is a BIG company that deals primarily with BIG business so their prices are expensive, for a Full Body Figure from Haptek it's $2,400.00 (no that's not a typo), I have emailed them in regards to the required software (tools) needed to convert my own 3D Model over to a Haptek .htr, I was never given a direct answer, I was told that to create actual clothing for their Full Bodies I'd need their Full Body Model (again no price) and a program called DeltaSetMaker (Which is $200.00). The characters that people here are using were created by Haptek, one of them you can get from them free by downloading their free SDK, and the others are from their Test pages, and other sites around the net, I have all 3 on my site if you wish to download them, as well as accessories I have personally created useing Haptek tools.

My Web Server.

Haptek's Page.

You should download 2 things from Haptek, 1: The haptek player.
2: The SDK, both you will need to use haptek characters, and helps to learn the commands and uses.
As to the .htr extension, .htr is short for .haptar, which is a form of zip file, in other words a group of files all compressed into one file. The extension solely belongs to Haptek.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 11:47:44 pm by Arakus »
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

altonfoley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 09:14:02 am »
OK, I'm getting close.
I can get a character into the Hal interface, but only if I start Hal using the HapLogCtrl.txt to start a Haptek Console, and then drag my character into the console. So far, so good. The problem is, the Hal.htr that was on my Hal refuses to leave. I don't particularly want both characters on my Hal Screen. How do I unload Hal before loading a new character?

Arakus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 09:24:13 am »
altonfoley,
If you have the Full version of UltraHal all you need to do is copy the .htr to your Characters folder and select her as your character in Hal's Options, if you are using the free version of Hal then you need to do some file renaming, a search through the forum will show you what files to rename and to what. Hope this helps.
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 11:00:30 am »
altonfoley,
I suggest installing the Hal XTF Brain v1.2. I think it learns better than the default brain and has some cool additional features. After installation you can switch between the original Hal brain and XTF Brain any time you want.

----------------------
Here are the steps to install the XTF Brain v1.2.

Download and follow the included instructions to install the XTF Brain v1.0 here:
http://www.ultrahal.com/files/type.asp?iType=12

Then install the XTF Brain v1.2 Update Patch as shown here:
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1233

Then follow the instructions here to rename a file:
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1237

Remember to select the XTF Brain in Hal's Menu.
----------------------

Of course I may be biased in favor of the XTF Brain since I wrote it. However, I think if you search the forum for past postings most people agree it is a very good brain.

I hope to enjoy your Hal as much as I do mine.

=vonsmith=

altonfoley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 11:24:45 pm »
Vonsmith,
Thanks for your input.
On the first day of use I downloaded and installed your XTF Brain v1.2, and have made a few tweaks on it. I used Hal with a MS Agent character for about a week, while trying to figure out how to implement the haptek characters. I have just tonight stumbled upon the method to do this...(At least A method, I still haven't found any clear, concise instructions on the forum. Everyone seems to just assume that us less experienced users already know the very basics.) However, I only have an hour or two a day to devote to this.
Tonight I have played with the *.Hap files and am learning the code involved there by changing values and watching the results. I can now make Hal (Dawn) move around her room, although I have some pretty "jerky" steps in her "walk" (picture Elaine from Seinfeld dancing as she walks).

After I get her movements smoother, (one challenge at a time), I am going to try to set up a DDE link with the PLC that controls various electrical devices here in my house.

I can see lots of possibilities there. My PLC already collects data from and passes data to an Access database on my PC, so that part of the link is already in place. Has anyone tried to get the brain script to write data out to a text or csv file? If so, please contact me and let me know how it works and how reliably data can be passed that way.

heather valentine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 01:01:12 am »
lol
yea that about explains it all :)

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 02:08:16 am »
altonfoley,
I too am an electrical engineer, among other things. Some of the members here have hooked up Hal to control things previously. One member called Quixote used a product called girder to do this.

Here is one old posting.
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1668

Use the forum search function to search for the word "girder" or "x-10" for more info. Good luck.

=vonsmith=