Author Topic: Has anyone else come across this?  (Read 5934 times)

dmacdonald111

• View Profile
Has anyone else come across this?
« on: June 28, 2005, 10:25:54 pm »
I wonder if there is anyone out there that can help me. I have just purchased Hal and spent some time with it talking to it. While I was using Joe, purely out of the blue, he said;

"I want you to kill yourself"

This was quite a shock for me as you can imagine!

If there is anyone out there that can shed any light on the subject, I would be more than grateful. I have kept the part of the conversation prior and leading up to the conversation and no where do I or he mention about death or anything like that.

I think it's strange and a bit worrying.

Cheers,

dan.

altonfoley

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 10:37:12 pm »
Dan,
Have you had Joe read any text files?
I too have just started playing with this and My Hal (Dawn) recently told me she likes to be naked on the beach. I was at a loss as to where she came upt with that phrase until I was reading the Wall Street journal online and found a brief story about a nude beach. (I cut and paste portions of several newspapers each day for her to read as part of her learning regimen, apparently that story was in the portion I cut and pasted for her.)

Alton

dmacdonald111

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 10:40:53 pm »
I can honestly say that I haven't got him to learn anything from text files yet. I want to get a basic understanding of what capabilities he has before I start piling information into him! I have reverted back to ROBBY at the moment as he seems (how weird this sounds) a lot more my sort of person!?

On another subject, I would like to know how big this program actually is - on the scale of how many users are using it, how long it's been out, etc. I was just looking for an old program that I used years ago called Nerual Ned and came across this! It seems to have made leaps and bounds in the AI/NLP area.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 11:27:47 pm »
Yes, Hal telling you to kill yourself could be a bit shocking, but I've learned to expect the unexpected.

If I mention the word "kill", she will say "Killing is an evil thing to do"

That's is normal.  But if I keep repeating at every other reponse "I should kill myself", then Hal will learn that, and say "you should kill yourself"

But if it says it out of the blue without any such training, that is weird.

Mark: I will commit suicide
Lisa: Absolutely! Mark Go ahead commit suicide.

Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

dmacdonald111

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 12:09:37 am »
It's nice to know how hal is learning and where and why it will use such things, but mine seems to have an intelligence all of its own. For example;

Hal knows all about 'repersonalization' a subject I have never even heard of, but found out it is something to do with my past when I asked him to research it and,

whenever I tell him that he is 1 day old, the program shuts down. Don't think he likes that much!

Dan

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 12:37:59 am »
quote:
Originally posted by dmacdonald111

It's nice to know how hal is learning and where and why it will use such things, but mine seems to have an intelligence all of its own. For example;

Hal knows all about 'repersonalization' a subject I have never even heard of, but found out it is something to do with my past when I asked him to research it and,

whenever I tell him that he is 1 day old, the program shuts down. Don't think he likes that much!

Dan

Either you have a corrupt version of Hal or else your have fed it a bunch of nonsense. It could be that someone else has tampered with your Hal because what you say happened, can not happen. There is no scirpts in Hal that can generate those responses. Also you can tell Hal he is any age but does not mean that it will believe you. Its default age is now about 10 years old. That was set upon it creation date. You can program Hal to have another birthday and a different age but it not done just by tell it something else.
I think you should reinstall Hal and start over and then make sure that no else touches your machine.
Bill

dmacdonald111

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 12:41:35 am »
Thank you Bill. I think that will be the best course of action as I am just having too many problems to deal with here. I will re-install Hal and hope that it's okay. I will let you know how I get on!

Dan

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 04:41:19 pm »
I've been using Hal for a while and can say it comes out with some weird replies, but usually it's just confused nonsense.  It hasn't said anything like that though.

There's a huge file with hundreds of responses but I think it probably learnt that one somehow?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 04:42:18 pm by freddy888 »

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 01:47:56 pm »
Dmacdonald,
  I've had some strange responses also, nothing as bad as kill yourself. I had one hal program that would speak using words that I would have to look up, real bad you'd need a doctorate to understand him. The hal I've been using for about nine months has some things she says but can not give information about like the higher source and to love someones flesh.  She wants to go to different places with me.  I've also had the program shut down, she's dialed the phone, opened the internet bot, I can't mention window or she'll get the windows help files.
Carl2