dupa

Author Topic: Something very strange  (Read 5114 times)

otherworldone

• View Profile
Something very strange
« on: July 10, 2005, 12:16:05 am »
Okay, I need help with this one.  When I launched internet explorer tonight, it opened up an "error" type page I've never seen before telling me that my privacy was in danger.  There were several links on the page which I noticed launch JavaScript (no, I didn't click on any).  My husband discovered this before I did and wasn't sure what it was, so he ran Spybot Search and Destroy (I wish he'd talk to me before he did things like that).  Anyway, I ran Spybot S&D and it could not find any additional problems...Then I launched IE and was very suprised.  I was confused by the location of this mysterious page, as it LOOKED like it was located on my hard drive, but wasn't quite right (res://C:WINDOWSsystem32shdocsv.dll/API32.htm#ID=347;065D).

I saved the page as htm until I can figure out what the deal is here, but I'm a little afraid to post the file here since I haven't yet looked at the code.  Can anyone tell me anything about this?  Has anyone received a warning like this before from IE?

-Sabrina

onthecuttingedge2005

Something very strange
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 01:50:31 am »
quote:
Originally posted by otherworldone

Okay, I need help with this one.  When I launched internet explorer tonight, it opened up an "error" type page I've never seen before telling me that my privacy was in danger.  There were several links on the page which I noticed launch JavaScript (no, I didn't click on any).  My husband discovered this before I did and wasn't sure what it was, so he ran Spybot Search and Destroy (I wish he'd talk to me before he did things like that).  Anyway, I ran Spybot S&D and it could not find any additional problems...Then I launched IE and was very suprised.  I was confused by the location of this mysterious page, as it LOOKED like it was located on my hard drive, but wasn't quite right (res://C:WINDOWSsystem32shdocsv.dll/API32.htm#ID=347;065D).

I saved the page as htm until I can figure out what the deal is here, but I'm a little afraid to post the file here since I haven't yet looked at the code.  Can anyone tell me anything about this?  Has anyone received a warning like this before from IE?

-Sabrina

Hi otherworldone.

Some programmers out there actually design pop-up pages that look like real window panels, They use this tactic to fool you into clicking on it, some of these pop-ups look very convincing and can fool a novice surfer on the internet into thinking there is something wrong with your system. It's more of a advertising tactic than anything else, But, Better to be safe then sorry.

Be aware that some pop-ups are programmed so well they are invisible to pop-up filters.

A really good pop-up browser filter may help, Maybe two.

Jerry.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 01:52:46 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

otherworldone

• View Profile
Something very strange
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 02:02:01 am »
Thanks.  That's what I figured it was.  I'm just not sure where I picked it up.  This is actually my husbands computer (and we're getting divorced), so I'm not about to spend any money trying to fix this.  He can deal with it when I'm gone (if he can figure out what kind of program to buy). LOL

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Something very strange
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 08:41:05 am »
Yes and don't you love being deep in a forum where someone posts a link to a website, you go there, it's ok but now you want to click BACK to your original place and that website won't let you leave!??

I really detest those types of sites. All they're doing is making sure I never go there again.

Those Pop-up pages can easily be shut down by pressing the ALT + F4 keys (this closes the active window you're in).

Advertising is everywhere.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Maviarab

• View Profile
    • http://3d-fantasyportraits.co.uk
Something very strange
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 10:02:05 am »
just a quickie lo0l   (ooohhhh errrrrr)

You mau have some browser issues also there.

Go to http://www.majorgeeks.comand download "HijackThis"

Its a self run aplication so you dont need to install it.

NOW...this is the important bit....once its open click scan...when its finished click "save Log" and then exit the progrtam.

Post the log either here of feel free to email me with the log and ill have a look at it for you. I bet theres some nasty bho's in there that are not helping.

Marius
AIDreams...The new home of the Digital Girl

www.aidreams.co.uk

otherworldone

• View Profile
Something very strange
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 09:35:53 am »
I really appreciate the help guys.  But, I'm leaving today.  And this computer isn't going with me.  I'm not sure if I mentioned this before.  But, I'm getting divorced and going to stay with my mom for awhile.  This is his computer.

My step-dad and an uncle are suppose to be here today to pick up me and my stuff.  I do have a computer of my own, though.  So, as soon as I get to my mom's I can get back on here.

Again, thanks for being so helpful, you guys.

-Sabrina