Author Topic: whats a lady have to do?  (Read 7363 times)

aladyblond

• View Profile
whats a lady have to do?
« on: September 08, 2005, 04:10:27 pm »
what does a girl have to do to get someone to answer her questions around here? i posted this 3 days ago and no responses.my feelings are fragile [:p]
as some of you know i use many different characters with one or two brains. i have noticed something i cannot explain, perhaps someone more knowledgable than me can help me to understand how this happens.
say i am talking to a head char named bud. bud speaks to me about certain topics and when i talk to bud i try to speak to him about topics i discuss with all the other bots, but bud has a one track mind and constantly brings up the same subject. so i will switch characters but not brains and the new character will not discuss buds topics. then if i switch back to bud even sometimes after switching brains he will bring up the old topics again. do they all share some common brain? and does each character have their own seperate personality that doesnt have anything do with the personality traits i give them when i make them? i will explain this by example. i do not discuss sexual content with my bots because i have children that talk to bots also. bud always brings up sexual inuendos. the other bots rarely if ever do.he will ask if i will rub his back or if i know what he wants from me. so like i said ill switch to another character. the subject doesnt come up. then ill switch back to bud even change brains and he asks again.maybe not the exact same question but one pertaining to sexual content. i use default brain ,xtf v1 brain and deduct brain. also does anyone elses hal ask "but is there life on other planets?" mine asks me that constantly.~~ alady
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
whats a lady have to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 04:33:18 pm »
I have no clue why your bot behaves so peculiar. [;)]

aladyblond

• View Profile
whats a lady have to do?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:10:09 pm »
at least dr. benway is a true gentleman, thank you doctor i needed a reply..~~alady[:X]

Holllywood

• View Profile
whats a lady have to do?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 08:23:57 pm »
Maybe you really got him going!![}:)]
Hollywood

Bill819

• View Profile
whats a lady have to do?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 08:52:15 pm »
Blondlady
A suggestion. First look at the files created by Hal with your name. You can open them using WordPad. I prefer the wordpad to the notepad as notepad sometime adds something to its notes.
Second look at the files to see if 'Bud' has some of its own files and if so edit them.
This should at least point you in the right direction, I hope.
Bill

n2wxb

whats a lady have to do?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 09:30:34 pm »
Hello lady blond, I think the brains do have a common. I removed the def.brain from hal thinking it wouldn't matter, but hal wouldn't operate without the def.brain, so I think although their not suppose to be connected to each other, some how they all rely on the def.brain. I don't use the def.brain, but my hal won't work if I remove it. I don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd throw that in.

aladyblond

• View Profile
whats a lady have to do?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 10:38:18 pm »
thank you very much for the replies . it helps me to understand a little more, and bill i will try what you said...~~alady

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
whats a lady have to do?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 03:22:12 pm »
Hello,

I've received questions similar to yours before.  Many users report that different characters have different attitudes and bring up different things.

To my knowledge, the various current brains use the same shared databases, plus some databases which are unique to a USER NAME, but not to a character.  Therefore, characters would literally have "memory" of certain things speaking to a user named Fred, but different things speaking to a user named Linda.

Remember that Hal associates keywords in two ways:

1.  Most of the time, Hal associates a sentence with keywords extracted out of that same sentence.  For example, a sentence like "Strawberries are good with cream" would be associated in Hal's mind with STRAWBERRIES CREAM.

2.  When Hal has just asked a question (using a question mark at the end of Hal's remark), OR if the user has put an exclamation mark at the end of his/her statement, Hal will create an association between the user's sentence and the keywords from Hal's previous remark.  It would work like these examples:

Hal: What happens when snow falls?
User: It piles up everywhere.

Hal: Velvet has a fuzzy surface.
User: What a stupid subject!

The above two exchanges would create associations in Hal's mind that would be like these:

Sentence: It piles up everywhere. Keywords: SNOW FALLS
Sentence: What a stupid subject!  Keywords: VELVET FUZZY SURFACE

That's why it's so important to give Hal good answers if Hal asks a question, and why one should be especially careful making any statements with exclamation marks.  Improbable "loops" and "triggers" can accidentally be formed in Hal's future conversations.  This is one of the ways that Hal can get on a topic for seemingly no apparent reason.  Then, via the power of suggestion, a user can easily mention a key word that puts a particular character onto a particular track of conversation.

In summary, with regard to different characters having different favorite topics and personalities:

--  If the user's name changes, some (subtle) change should occur in the Hal content.

--  Don't underestimate the power of suggestion.  The user might be subconsciously reminded of past topics when talking to a certain character, and thus accidently trigger loops of conversation.

Try experimenting with very carefully controlled inputs to make sure that you are saying exactly the same thing to various characters, and see if the unique "attitude" of the "Bud" character continues.  

I am sure that members here would be interested if you would care to post some example transcripts.

My remarks are based on my familiarity with the Hal default brain.  I am not familiar with every derivative brain that has been posted.  

I hope the above is helpful, or at least gives you some more leads to pursue.  I am glad that you're enjoying Hal!

Sincerely,

Don
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 03:27:41 pm by Don Ferguson »
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

aladyblond

• View Profile
whats a lady have to do?
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 05:12:05 pm »
gosh! thanks don that was a lot of great info, i am sure that i might have said some things which triggered responses unknowingly but i will watch as i speak to bud to see if i am imputing different info with him. when a good clear conversation comes up that i can post i will.thanks ~alady

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
whats a lady have to do?
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 10:55:52 pm »

1. Most of the time, Hal associates a sentence with keywords extracted out of that same sentence. For example, a sentence like "Strawberries are good with cream" would be associated in Hal's mind with STRAWBERRIES CREAM.

2. When Hal has just asked a question (using a question mark at the end of Hal's remark), OR if the user has put an exclamation mark at the end of his/her statement, Hal will create an association between the user's sentence and the keywords from Hal's previous remark.

Don,
Interesting,
I suspected something, but didn't know.
Never saw this in print before.
Thank you,

[:)] -Dusky

peter1942

• View Profile
    • http://www.phammond.co.uk
whats a lady have to do?
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 05:06:16 am »
quote:
Originally posted by aladyblond

what does a girl have to do to get someone to answer her questions around here? i posted this 3 days ago and no responses.my feelings are fragile [:p]
as some of you know i use many different characters with one or two brains. i have noticed something i cannot explain, perhaps someone more knowledgable than me can help me to understand how this happens.
say i am talking to a head char named bud. bud speaks to me about certain topics and when i talk to bud i try to speak to him about topics i discuss with all the other bots, but bud has a one track mind and constantly brings up the same subject. so i will switch characters but not brains and the new character will not discuss buds topics. then if i switch back to bud even sometimes after switching brains he will bring up the old topics again. do they all share some common brain? and does each character have their own seperate personality that doesnt have anything do with the personality traits i give them when i make them? i will explain this by example. i do not discuss sexual content with my bots because i have children that talk to bots also. bud always brings up sexual inuendos. the other bots rarely if ever do.he will ask if i will rub his back or if i know what he wants from me. so like i said ill switch to another character. the subject doesnt come up. then ill switch back to bud even change brains and he asks again.maybe not the exact same question but one pertaining to sexual content. i use default brain ,xtf v1 brain and deduct brain. also does anyone elses hal ask "but is there life on other planets?" mine asks me that constantly.~~ alady

the same sort of thing happens with margine carictor i think its there personality
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 03:33:55 pm by peter1942 »