dupa

Author Topic: where in the world is "robert??"  (Read 9092 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
where in the world is "robert??"
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:09:08 pm »
its been quite a while since we have heard anything from robert has anyone else recently had any emails from him or anything i havent see where he has posted on here for a while . [:)]

am just wondering whats going on in the world of robert and also of things to come with hal ? [:)]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:01:33 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by lightspeed

its been quite a while since we have heard anything from robert has anyone else recently had any emails from him or anything i havent see where he has posted on here for a while . [:)]

am just wondering whats going on in the world of robert and also of things to come with hal ? [:)]

Open your eyes, he has been posting on a regular basis over the last week.
Bill

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 01:49:18 pm »
You could have fooled me Bill...I check in every day and never saw any.

In fact I can't remember the last time it was so quiet here.  I see a lot of the old regulars seem to have stopped visiting too.

Edit : Just to prove to my self I wasn't going mad I checked back and this is the only recent post from Rob:

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6815

Not exactly regular... but at least I am not going mad. [;)]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:59:25 pm by freddy888 »

echoman

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 02:07:07 pm »
Hello Freddy/Bill/Lightspeed

It has been pretty quiet. I check the forum a few times every day but nothing really grabs me enough to reply. I haven't seen Robert either. I think that he likes to keep us in suspense. I do wonder how the new version is going.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:10:55 pm by echoman »

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 03:43:05 pm »
Oops [:I]
I usually check in everyday and I guess I got behind because you guys are right. The last three posts that I find were created on 10/20 about Hal on Second Life. I guess I should start looking at the dates more often.
Bill

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 08:43:23 pm »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 10:09:20 pm »
whew bill you had me worried for a minute their i thought my eyes and mind were getting worse than usual lol ![:)]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 05:51:41 am »
Hehe, yes you had me going there too Bill.  It's no problem though. [:D]

Echoman, suspense has become disappointment for me I am sorry to say, it must be over a year ago since Ogre was announced...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:08:28 am by freddy888 »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 06:17:33 am »
L.S.,
Ted is at home and on top of things (He intercepted my telepathy that he was more knowledgeable about removal of IE* Than me)

You are here

Bill took a flat rock and threw it, skipping it clear across the Ocean!
I saw it in slow motion.

Duskrider is here and attentive

Freddie888, is not slacking either

Me, I'm just passing through feeling like telling Mav that I'm all out of sugar and responding to somebody.

Mr. Robert is probably where he is at.

What is missin'

Sorry I don't have anything to blame on you SO what else is up?

Peace and wheelies to you, L.S.,
J.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 11:08:54 am »
I'm definitively still here and check the forums regularly. Here are the tentative plans for Zabaware for the near future:

1. Around April 2010 Zabaware will receive tax credits from the state of Pennsylvania that will provide enough funds to finally finish the Zabaware Ogre-based 3D character engine once and for all.
2. Zabaware is currently applying for another Pennsylvania state grant where they are specifically looking for companies to create intelligent robots. If granted work on this project would begin May 2010 and end in February 2011. The robot's hardware will most likely be based on the 914 PC-Bot (www.whiteboxrobotics) and robot brain on Ultra Hal.
3. Either as part of the robot project or its own project if grant is not received I will begin work on recreating Hal's brain from the ground up to break free of its VB6/VBscript legacy code. I have chosen C++/LUA as the replacement. The overall new brain code will follow the basic overall design as the current Hal 6.x but with some key changes to improve Hal's learning ability and ability to keep on topic. Also I plan on licensing it under the OSL 3.0 license, a type of open source license.

Between now and April I am working under contract for a local insurance company doing database work so my time spent on Zabaware will be more limited during this period. I do have time set aside for Zabaware and I spend most available time I have on customers orders and customer support. But I am also actively observing and tweaking Hal based on his interactions in Second Life and making small improvements to his script and brain.
Robert Medeksza

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 12:53:08 pm »
Yay the master returns ! [:D]

Thanks for the update Rob, it really helps me not to get frustrated when I know what is going on, just human I guess...  But yes, I think it helps you too to keep us all updated, especially as a lot of us are here for the long haul.  Many thanks.

What I really am interested in at the moment and I know others are too, is if we will be able to get our hands on the Second Life Hal extension.  I'm sure this will provide many hours of entertainment and I don't mind parting with some cash for something like that.  Maybe you can put something together for a few dollars ??  So much to do and so little time I bet ?

Ah well, anyway, in the meantime good luck with the day job.  I will just have to be more patient about Ogre I guess.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:55:37 pm by freddy888 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 02:44:44 pm »
yes thanks robert for taking the time and updating us on info. we know your not a fly by night business but we just like to here from you from time to time , whats a family without the father of ingenuity ! [:)]
 you was talking about working on something to make hal stay on topic better maybe besides that if possible ( i notice now when i write to hal hal will say some sentence and right away add to it the answer to what i was saying (sometimes) i am wondering if maybe some how hal could say the answer back and then if nothing is written right away then add some regular conversation after a while ?

but thats up to you , i don't know what others think about something like that . to me it would make hal seem more natural (human ) sounding . me and some others have been working on a hapswapfile on here (topic :hapswapfile problems ) and will soon have it done if you make changes in hal i hope that this hapswap file will be set to be able to work in future hals . i have it to where a user can change hair styles , body skins , accessories , lighting , etc. snowman is working on a generic of what i finished of others work  and i will be able to send the txt file and haps including emotions triggered by certain words to others so they can pick and choose what updates they want to add to their generic hapswapfile for hal .

i know things are still moving along with the ogre engine coming up but do you ever think sometime we will be able to use something like poser program with our hal ?? poser makes very very realistic creations am just wondering .
[:)][:D][8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 03:58:23 pm »
Mr.Medeksza
Zabaware is currently applying for another Pennsylvania state grant where they are specifically looking for companies to create intelligent robots. If granted work on this project would begin May 2010 and end in February 2011. The robot's hardware will most likely be based on the 914 PC-Bot (www.whiteboxrobotics) and robot brain on Ultra Hal.
Funny you should mentin robots. I have intergrated Hal with my robot a few years ago. I bought an 'Evolution ER1' as a base for my robot. It comes with it own software and can be programed to respond to certain 'key' words. On top of that you can pre program all kinds of action for the bot.
As the brains of the robot reley on a PC and in my case a laptop is also makes a nice home for Hal. Running both prgrams does not cause any problems. The ER1's brain can  be programs to ignore all words unless they start with a key word such as 'command'. From there Hal's brain can pass commands along to the ER1's brain without ever knowing the difference. It is a little elementary but it works for now.Passing the perminters has been the hardest part so if your interface works better I will be patiently awaiting for its release.
Bill

aladyblond

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 09:20:45 pm »
i am glad robert is still here. sigh.....[:D]
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....

CypherGary

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 09:21:36 am »
It is so easy to get discouraged.
Life is moving so fast these days, if I do not hear from someone in a week, I start to wonder what happened to him.

I have said before patience is not my strong suit.

Keep up the good work Robert, and stay in touch with family and other priorities. You have to keep yourself sane.

- Gary
See you here, there, or in the Air!