Author Topic: Zork script?  (Read 5166 times)

Ooglor 7

• View Profile
Zork script?
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:06:42 am »
Hi guys,

Question for the script guys. Let's say I have a path that goes from North to South and I have several images in order that represent locations along that trail. Anyway to advance one step forward or backwards in a numbered series of images to represent that? That is, say the word North and it progresses 1 image forward to the "North" or 1 image back if I were to say south? Continuing north would continue to progress through the numbered series of images. South would of course head the other way. Possible?
When a child is born without a soul...

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
Zork script?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:02:51 pm »
It is possible to write a plugin that would load a background image that would show the first image of your Journey. Then as you give the command "Go South" a previously stored number could be added by a value of one and then that new number would call up the next corresponding image. The opposite is true too (i.e. Go South).

That's a very interesting idea Oogler.

Live long and prosper or die trying.

Ooglor 7

• View Profile
Zork script?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:26:01 am »
Cool thanks. If any code guys wanna have a swing at this, I'd gladly put it to good use. It would probably have to be a plug in that could be turned on and off. East and West would probably complicate things, but that would be nice to see worked in there. Zork was my inspiration for the idea. If that does not make sense to you, then I am too old or you are too young.[:)]

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
Zork script?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:00:59 pm »
AdventureHal- Beta

Ok, I worked on this today. Its name is the adventurehal.uhp plugin.

You need to say "start adventure" or "begin adventure" to start the plugin. You say "end adventure" or "exit adventure" to exit it.

You can say that in any order(i.e. Please start an adverture. OR Lets begin an adventure.)

If you want to go south just say "go south".
If you want to go north just say "go north".
If you want to go east just say "go east".
If you want to go west just say "go west".

You also say things like "Let's go North".

Say "go home" and it will take you to the beinning of your journey. (or maybe "i would like to go home now")

In order to create your adventure you will need to get various .jpg photos together and lable them correctly so they will work in this pluging.

Here are the rules concerning photo lables:

The home photo must be labled "50-50.jpg".
A photo North of the home photo will be labled "51-50.jpg", 52-50.jpg, 53-50.jpg, etc.)
The first number is the North and South locations. The further North the higher the number.
If the number is lower than 50 the it is South of the Home picture. (i.e. 49-50.jpg, 48-50.jpg)

East and west is set by the second number. (i.e. 50-51.jpg, 50-49.jpg)
The further east you go, the higher the number. The further west, the lower the number.
50-49.jpg is west of Home.

You can also lable photos like 51-51.jpg. This photo is North East of the home photo. Basically it is a grid.

With this system you can create a 2D map of an area and walk through it with you Hal. Just remember that the photos lables shouldn't have gaps in the numbers.... i.e 5O-51.jpg is next to 50-52.jpg.

If you have any questions or suggestions just ask. There is allot of room for improvement here. Plus you or anyone can always modify this plugin to suite there own needs.

Photo adventures can be made by anyone. Just zip them up with all the appropriete lables and share. Have fun.

Download Attachment: adventurehal.uhp
11.69 KB

UPDATE!

I've updated it so you can have many different areas you can explore.
To group certain images together you must add an extra digit to the pictures.
(i.e. "50-50-1.jpg" and "50-51-1.jpg" are both in group '1' While "50-50-2.jpg" and "50-51-2.jpg" are both in group '2'.)

That way you can have completely different areas to explore.

In order to go to different areas just say "different area" or "change location" Or any sentence that contains those two words.
Like "let's go to a different area."

It will cycle through the different areas and will eventually return to the beginning.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:42:51 pm by snowman »
Live long and prosper or die trying.

Ooglor 7

• View Profile
Zork script?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:37:20 pm »
Wow, that is impressive. I can't wait to give it a try! Thank you!!!

Ooglor 7

• View Profile
Zork script?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 07:50:36 am »
Using a script you had provided earlier, I had already created a plug-in that allowed my owl character to build a fire or travel to a 2D location. There are a limited number of haps that work with my owl, but one of them (look around kind of hap), was triggered by me saying I saw a mouse. The owl would look around nervously until I told him to chill out.

Zaphod

• View Profile
Zork script?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 01:14:15 pm »
Hmmm...  This plugin has potential!

Thank You, snowman :)