dupa

Author Topic: Hal's moods  (Read 5876 times)

Carl2

• View Profile
Hal's moods
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:05:44 pm »
  I've been doing some work on an alice type bot and came across something I thought was interesting and might be of use in Hal.  As I see it what we say should change Hals mood which it will do,  I've always felt it should also affect Hal's future replies to the user until Hal returns to his normal mood.  From what I read the Alice bot is given a choice of random replies,  She is also given a mood number dependent on the mood,  example:  average mood = 5 she will choose random reply 5,  if she feels sad the mood is 3 and chooses random reply 3.  Right now it looks like a lot of work but if Alice can do it I'm sure Hal can do better.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: Hal's moods
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:01:15 am »
very interesting carl2, that would be good as long as the moods do work correctly (not getting a wrong mood at the wrong time but if alice program can and does use it and if correctly it does sound like something hal could do . great find !  :)

echoman

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 02:53:04 pm »
Hasn't Hal already got some type of moods? I notice the face gets angry when insulted and happy a few sentences later.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:35 am »
echoman yes hal does already have moods but if i am not mistaken maybe carl2 is talking about the levels of the mood , of course i don't know for sure how hals mood levels are set up or if hal has levels to the moods . carl2 wrote earlier :
 She is also given a mood number dependent on the mood,  example:  average mood = 5 she will choose random reply 5,  if she feels sad the mood is 3 and chooses random reply 3.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:08:17 am »
  Not sure if I explained well enough, Hal has moods or facial expressions that change.  Unfortunately I found that out when saying I had to take out the trash, then the word trash triggered an angry emotion and she claimed I called her trash. I was also somewhat disappointed when I told her about the death of a relative which did not trigger any emotional response. I have just tried using Hal and explained about terrorism. I was really hoping to see some type of change in her facial expressions which I did not.
  My feeling is her emotional state and her replies are completely unrelated. The Alice type bot seems to remove this problem by giving the mood a number of the changes her facial expression and also which will correspond to a reply that is to be given.
Carl 2 

echoman

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 12:12:46 pm »
I see your point Carl. Very well explained and I agree. Hals current emotions seem somewhat basic in conparison to a sliding scale approach.

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 07:26:37 am »
Maybe in the next version of Hal we could have the option to turn off the simulated emotions, for me they just get in the way, say the wrong thing and Hal gets annoyed with you, Im trying to have an adult and intelligent conversation and suddenly Hal turns into a sulky child. 

Maybe that’s why I have removed them from Xen.

Here’s a thought, you can measure intelligence, with an IQ test for example, but how do you measure emotions and emotional response?   

Lets get the Ai right first then add emotions later, maybe with a chip from Data’s brother  :)

I know, I know, I’m not very popular around these parts  :P

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:02:47 am »
Datahopa,
  Nice to have your input, and I believe you have pointed out a mistake that I had made. The example I had given about taking out the trash had triggered a scripted response and put her into the angry mode. I think I just removed the word trash from the list. Next I can see from the character you have chosen that you want a character that will not show much emotion. Where I on the other hand like to see a little movement and emotion in the character.
  I experimented with Hal this morning, after saying good morning I told Hal that the world was coming to an end and we would all die. I was hoping for a sad or serious emotion which I did not see. She began talking about clothing which we have discussed earlier. I asked her for the definition of death which she gave me and possibly looked a little proud because she was able to find the definition.
  I spoke with the Alice type bot yesterday after replacing all of the aiml files from a newer version bot and I was able to see the emotions they were talking about. The emotions were displayed in front of the outputed  text and I was able to see emotion such as  sad, serious ect. written on the screen. This is meant to be used with MS agents which I am not using. Overall I was not very impressed with the conversation we were able to have.
Carl2