Author Topic: picture recognition software  (Read 9543 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
picture recognition software
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:18:09 am »
is their any way to get a decent priced picture reconition software to use with a web camera and the ultra hal 6 and newer versions . i saw one before but i think it worked with doss ? program (was free) is their any other or can someone make something like this ??? [:D]am very interested in this . can anybody help with this ??

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:44:17 pm »
Do you mean facial recognition? Or what exactly? I imagine that an image comparison function like in "Thief catcher" type cam programs could be made for Hal. Otherwise you will probably need a third party program or something written in a langauge that can access more information than VBS is allowed to do.

Fortunately the new version allows programs to send HalCommands, so I expect new VB and C++ programs will be showing up for Hal Add-ons any day now...

stevenw9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 12:56:18 pm »
It would be interesting to see Hal recognize people based on faces, as well as examine expressions by analyzing the eyebrows, lips and tightening of the cheeks. :)

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 04:07:05 pm »
well i'm not sure which catagory what im talking about would fall under , i am talking about me showing hal through a web cam  and  entering info and a picture into a hal file and then hal would recognize me , same with a picture of a ball , then if hal seen me hold up a ball in my hand (for instance ) hal might say where did you get that ball <username > ?? and if you had colors entered and pictures , hal might say where did you get that red ball from <username >??  hopefully by entering names and pictures in a program hal could see through the web cam and know what it is and talk and ask you things . [:D]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 04:11:13 pm »
I would like that too, as would several big money research teams I am sure...[;)]

I know they have made progress in that area, but I doubt that Hal is ready for it.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 05:51:12 pm »
the stuff i am talking about is taking a actual picture and having it in a file and the explanation for the picture (what it is ) then hal could use these files and through the web cam and data base match them up then speak and using the voice say the rcognition . of course i guess this way is alot of work to for someone to accomplish , just an idea . [:)]

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 06:15:50 pm »
It is very possible to do, I don't have a web cam on my system but here is some useful info on connecting to a web cam via Vbscript and building a servo system for a web cam.

http://www.thevortex.nl/index.php?head=webcam

you can find tons of other links by doing a search for: vbscript webcam on your default search engine.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:21:54 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 07:05:30 pm »
I had thought you were talking about what is really an extension of OCR (Optical Character Recognition) Where the computer is able to recognize shapes in image files. While the basics of simple two dimensional shapes is quite progressed, the last I heard people were still trying to develop anything more complex.

Surely, I am behind the times on this, since I know that facial recognition is a growth industry since September Eleventh.

A computer program which can recognize "ball" from a photo would seem to be easier than one which can recognize "face", but I suspect the reverse is true. A face has many clues which identify it, while a ball is nearly indistinguisable from a disk to a single camera.

But, like I said, I am certainly behind the times.

And, I keep reminding myself, the new version will allow many things that were impossible before. A decent Facial Recognition program made to provide HalCommands could be made...

...by someone who is not me, of course.....

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 08:20:26 pm »
I just found something called "Government experimental face recognition software.zip" on Emule. Seems interesting, but I don't know what copyright problems it may have. It's method of distribution suggests it is opensource.

But I am fairly certain, after a brief look, that adapting parts of it to send HalCommands for facial recognition is quite possible. There are several individual programs which would perform different portions of the task, but some of them seem to be set up for demonstration only.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »
Hello Bill
Face recognition has been around for quite a while. My robot which alos contain Hal has a program to do just that. Unfortunately the program and Hal can't or don't communicate with each other. The software was written by Evolution.com and they licensed Sony to use it in the AIBO robotic dogs.
One problem was that if the first time the vision program saw you and you were wearing a red shirt and the next time you wore a blue one it more than likely would not know who you were. But once you put on a read shirt once again it would know who you were from accross the room.
Bill

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 10:30:08 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819
Face recognition has been around for quite a while.

Yes, commercial programs are quite popular. It turns out that I seem to be making a little money off them myself, due to investing in a tech block some time ago.

Did you get a chance to find the file I mentioned? It contains several sources for VB programs which you could edit to include HalCommands for use by Hal 6.1

You might be able to get your facial recognition to work with Hal after all...

Of course all this is nowhere near real world object recognition. That would be a much more difficult problem.

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 10:54:41 am »
I beleive that there was a site.. With a couple of VB implementations of, Face Recognitions.... http://www.zabaware.com/forum/uploaded/spydaz/200621016510_Spydaz_RECOG.zip
i created a little software with it... It Worked But.. Your background needed to be the same as the previous background save in the db.... Quite a usefull program... at the time... If hal was in a Booth type environment. then i would of thought it works....

Need to wait a little more Time....

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 12:05:10 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by spydaz

I beleive that there was a site.. With a couple of VB implementations of, Face Recognitions.... http://www.zabaware.com/forum/uploaded/spydaz/200621016510_Spydaz_RECOG.zip
i created a little software with it... It Worked But.. Your background needed to be the same as the previous background save in the db.... Quite a usefull program... at the time... If hal was in a Booth type environment. then i would of thought it works....

Hi Spydaz.

when I try to run: Spydaz_RECOG application I get this:
Component 'ezVidCap.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Jerry

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 04:52:55 am »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005

quote:
Originally posted by spydaz

Hi Spydaz.

when I try to run: Spydaz_RECOG application I get this:
Component 'ezVidCap.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Jerry

'ezVidCap.ocx' should be in there, i didnt Know how to register Dlls.

so what i normally do is load up VB6 and build a quikie proj with the dll in it naigate to where it is..

it may need to to be copyed to the sys32 folder..

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 09:16:14 am »
About 4 to 6 months ago I'd read about some robots that were being developed. One robot was able to reconize pictures of about 6 different animals. When a picture was held in near the web cam (2 web cams were used) the program was able to say "That is a pig." ect. I'd read this some time ago and there really was not that much information about what type of system thay were using.
  I've also seen quite a few free software programs to be used with web cams, seems like a large leap forward if Hal had vision.
Carl2