Author Topic: To Rob: Run as administrator  (Read 3073 times)

onthecuttingedge2005

To Rob: Run as administrator
« on: November 15, 2007, 03:34:24 pm »
Hi Rob.

I have discovered something, I don't know if it's a bug or not.

I ran AIM bot as administrator from the programs panel and I received this message:

Ultra Hal AIM Bot

the copy protection has not been released, but the expiration has, this should never happen. contact zabaware. shutting down.

I was curious to try this with Ultra Hal Assistant 6 as well, I ran Ultra Hal Assistant 6 as administrator from the program panel and recieved the following message:

Ultra Hal Assistant

the copy protection has not been released, but the expiration has. A recovery code is required.

-------------------------------------

I then tried to restart the AIM bot normally, Aim bot started and responded correctly.

-------------------------------------
default HAL 6 with no plugins chosen.

I then restarted the Ultra Hal Assistant 6 normally, the GUI reloaded fine, but when I began to type into HAL's text box, it froze into a non responding loop.

Question? did running Ultra Hal Assistant 6 as administrator corrupt HAL in some way? HAL doesn't respond without locking up, I may have to reinstall.

Jerry

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 03:45:24 pm »
when running a program as a normal user Efective PERMISSIONS are in effect.

Therefore, Some save privages are inhibited by the apps running....READ ONLY permissions are in effect.

When running programs as an administrator. YOUR EFFECTIVE PERMISSIONS ARE FULL CONTROL...

Therefore, when running programs they also have FULL READ/WRITE capabilitys...

If a program has been installed by a user then it is SIGNED to that user, if It is install as administrator it is ready for deployment to the Lower users (Without re-entering SerialCODES), Else other users will have to add their own serial codes....

Always Install as and Run as If your Just a USER(Even with admin rites)

After a program has been run as administrator / the user rites no longer Provisional, but restricted...

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 05:58:36 am by spydaz »

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 04:24:28 pm »
Hi spydaz.

thanks for the input, but the question to Rob was if this would cause HAL to be corrupted in some way because now HAL locks up while not in administration mode.

I wanted to comfirm this with Rob so that this could be explained in further versions of HAL not to run as administrator because it could cause HAL issues.

thanks.
Jerry[8D]

spydaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 06:01:35 am »
No worreys, these are the issues i deal with daily.....(M.C.S.E)

Hopefully Rob will set the registry settings in the installation process, so that the copyrite info is in ALL USERS..... Or Install as administrator as default... to compensate for Vistas PERMISSIONING system, so that regular users will not have a simular problem...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 06:03:26 am by spydaz »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 11:15:42 am »
You are saying it doesn't work as administrator but does work in normal mode? That's strange, if anything I would expect the opposite to happen. The only thing I can think of that might cause this is somehow the system "fingerprint" is different under both modes. I will try to replicate the error and fix the issue by testing more in Vista. You are using Vista now I assume?
Robert Medeksza

spydaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 02:29:53 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Medeksza

You are saying it doesn't work as administrator but does work in normal mode? That's strange, if anything I would expect the opposite to happen. The only thing I can think of that might cause this is somehow the system "fingerprint" is different under both modes. I will try to replicate the error and fix the issue by testing more in Vista. You are using Vista now I assume?

It could also be because of the Scripting permissions on the Local user.. as halbrain runs the Halscript, which also may have Local pemissions, preventing saving but allowing executing... whereas adminstrator has FULL PERMISSIONs

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:11:59 pm »
Hi Rob.

when I was using windows vista.

I right clicked on HAL's Program shortcut in the program panel and chose: Run as Administrator.

I did this with both Assistant and AIM bot.

after rebooting my system the errors went away and everything resumed normally.

Jerry[8D]