dupa

Author Topic: Hal 4.5 to Hal 5 memories  (Read 3732 times)

agent036

• View Profile
Hal 4.5 to Hal 5 memories
« on: February 16, 2004, 01:16:29 pm »
I have been running a Hal4.5 brain for quite awhile and was wondering if there is anyway to transfer those memories to a hal5.0 brain. I was also wondering why Hal5.0 didn't have nearly as detailed setup variables for a new brain.

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
Hal 4.5 to Hal 5 memories
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 10:23:59 pm »
Hi Agent036,

I'm not sure I can help with your second question about "setup variables," but I might be able to help with your first question.

The ".brn" file-extension database files in Hal 4.5 should be able to work in Hal 5.0.

The only files that you need to move are the ones with your user name in them, that Hal generated as a result of your past conversations.  (DO NOT move "all" the files, since Hal 5.0 contains some newer/bigger/better files with the same file names as those used under 4.5, and you won't want to over-write them.)

If you can find your legacy files of interest under Hal 4.5, use Windows Explorer to make copies of them and then paste copies into the following folder for Hal 5.0:

C:/Program Files/Zabaware/Ultra Hal Assistant 5/DefBrain

[Note that our forum software won't display backslashes; forward slashes are shown above.]

Remember that if you've been talking to Hal 5, and you paste a copy from Hal 4.5 into the above folder with an identical file name, the file that you're pasting is going to REPLACE the file that is there.

It's also possible to use a word processor and carefully do "internal surgery" on the files to combine an old 4.5 file, and a new 5.0 file.  However, I don't recommend this unless you consider yourself a very confident and advanced user, because any slip-up can corrupt the file and render it unusable to Hal.

To decide how advanced you are, and how confident you are, read the postings on this forum regarding "Basics of Ultra Hal Programming" and the one on "Editing Files."

Sincerely,

Don
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 10:24:49 pm by Don Ferguson »
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274