Author Topic: ER1 and Hal  (Read 13197 times)

yosef812

• View Profile
ER1 and Hal
« on: July 28, 2004, 07:33:20 pm »
Found out there some other users of Hal that are working with the ER1 robots, so I thought I would start this thread so that everyone can share what work they accomplish with the two programs. I believe the marriage of these two programs could massively increase the AI effects.  Using visual recognition for an input datastream into Hal, as opposed to a simple response that the ER 1 generates could give the robot some real character.  Conversely if the responses from Hal could output to the robots actions and routines,wow. Had just begun this hobby with my son as a father and son project, currently the programming skills necessary for this integration are not available to me, although I begun the process to learn the necessary programming to accomplish the task.  Any dialogue an input from those who have already accomplish some of these tasks would be greatly valued.  I think it is a perfect marriage may Haler 1 soon be birthed amongst us.  

Stay in the tender moment,
the mad Professor

Bill819

• View Profile
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 03:26:10 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by yosef812

Found out there some other users of Hal that are working with the ER1 robots, so I thought I would start this thread so that everyone can share what work they accomplish with the two programs. I believe the marriage of these two programs could massively increase the AI effects.  Using visual recognition for an input datastream into Hal, as opposed to a simple response that the ER 1 generates could give the robot some real character.  Conversely if the responses from Hal could output to the robots actions and routines,wow. Had just begun this hobby with my son as a father and son project, currently the programming skills necessary for this integration are not available to me, although I begun the process to learn the necessary programming to accomplish the task.  Any dialogue an input from those who have already accomplish some of these tasks would be greatly valued.  I think it is a perfect marriage may Haler 1 soon be birthed amongst us.  

Glad to see another ER1 user, but sorry to have to tell you that the vision recognition of the ER1 is not interfaceable with Hal,darn.
Hal could be made to control the ER1 using the X10 protocal, but as of yet I have not learned how to do it. I do have both systems running at the same time though and this makes you about the 3rd or 4th user of the ER1 and Hal. I thnik that we should start our own page somewhere as what we are soing is far ahead of the rest of the robotic world. Even though ER1 has limited capabilities as a robot, he is the only one who can carry on a conversation with any kind of intelligence at this time.
Honda's robot resembles a human in form but can not really talk and I do not know of any others that can either.
Thanks to Hal we are on the ground floor of a new age in robotics.
Bill

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 06:33:32 pm »
I was Talking To an Inventor GUY Yoshimitstu YAMURA . he came up with the idea of Useing hal to control External HARDWARE Via SERIAL port. COM1. RS232 LINK.

I was talking to him about making a ROBOTIC head That i could get hal to control MOUTH, EYES, EYEBROW, HEAD and maybe CHEEKS.

i was thinking along the same lines as X10.. but then we would have to look deeper into the Carrier SIGNAL used by the X10 & 11 protocols.. im currently using hal In an x10 project NEED more DEVICES.. as i have linked hal with X10lite.ocx an activeX version of the X10 control freely available xon xoff xalloff xallon just a few simple commands..

the ER1 i have looked at the software an I was confused with HOW to link up hal with it. I only had the demo.... DOES the FULL version come with an ACTIVEX control or DEVELOPMENT KIT.... That would greatly help in the interfacing of hal with this program...

THE robot KIT looks exciting i havent invested YET. i would like to see some working pictures of some up and running kits first..

READING/LISTENING TO YOU GUYS... Gives me GREAT thoughts....HMMM...

PS> try the X10lite.ocx (very easy) you can write your OWN X10 SOFTWARE.....

If you know of any other FACE recognition software  PLEASE ...tell me!
[:D]

Bill819

• View Profile
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 07:03:23 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by spydaz

I was Talking To an Inventor GUY Yoshimitstu YAMURA . he came up with the idea of Useing hal to control External HARDWARE Via SERIAL port. COM1. RS232 LINK.

I was talking to him about making a ROBOTIC head That i could get hal to control MOUTH, EYES, EYEBROW, HEAD and maybe CHEEKS.

i was thinking along the same lines as X10.. but then we would have to look deeper into the Carrier SIGNAL used by the X10 & 11 protocols.. im currently using hal In an x10 project NEED more DEVICES.. as i have linked hal with X10lite.ocx an activeX version of the X10 control freely available xon xoff xalloff xallon just a few simple commands..

the ER1 i have looked at the software an I was confused with HOW to link up hal with it. I only had the demo.... DOES the FULL version come with an ACTIVEX control or DEVELOPMENT KIT.... That would greatly help in the interfacing of hal with this program...

THE robot KIT looks exciting i havent invested YET. i would like to see some working pictures of some up and running kits first..

Hello
The Er1 comes with its own controller box and all of its devices are driven by usb connectors. They explain that the output to each of these devices is just a bunch of degital ones and zeros. The eyes though has its own specially designed software for vision recognition which was licensed to Sony for use in the AIBO robot dog.
Since the time that I first bought my ER1 and posted some pictues of it here I have done only a little more work, ie. a small body and a head. I will try to post some updated pictures in the next few days. I have purchased another eye, arm and infra red sensors but have not installed them as of yet.
Bill

moreis62

• View Profile
    • http://www.myway.com/
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 04:26:37 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by yosef812

Oh! the old ER1 robot hmm! I will be working on that soon, oh! and i'm almost don with Alan-hal, i'll post it up four you guys soon, its working really really real good with hal, guys?
ISMAEL LEDESMA.

spydaz

• View Profile
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 05:46:08 pm »
I was searching and came across a SMALL but usefull FACE RECOGNITION Visual basic (Source code) program I believe THIS may be A DEFINATE route...

http://www.fuzzgun.btinternet.co.uk/FaceLocation.htm

http://www.fuzzgun.btinternet.co.uk/Downloads.htm

I looking at how to intergrate this..

THE CONTROL OF DC motor CONTROLS require a Microcontroller CARD or SERIAL to TTL logic CARD ... Hmmm Locating the right one will be the task..

The Object-Oriented PIC. : Specially designed for robotics, the OOPic is a totally different approach in microcontrollers that uses Virtual Circuits to interact with the attached hardware while the application program focuses on controlling the Virtual Circuits in an Object-Oriented programming style.

http://www.oopic.com/

The closest thing yet i have found to controlling HOME PROJECTS ie: robotics fromt the computer as it also uses visual basic...

spydaz

• View Profile
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 11:03:47 am »
I was able to figure OUT that If you use the PRINTER port.
By sending data ie: CHAR A or 255 or 11111111 to the port in VB You can recieve the information INTO a 8 bit SHIFT REGISTER (paralellport DONGLE) and control DEVICES via TTL logic... HMM sounds techy but.

Emotional responses can be setup as MACROS sent to the printerport. Giving the correct FACE response.

I was able to Build a SMALL Face recognition program in VB. But all picture backgrounds need to be BLACK.

HAL TAKES A PICTURE of YOU then CHECKS PICTURE IN THE FACE DATABASE. If IDENTIFIED Knows ITS one of his users.

NEED MORE HELP on this bit.. BUT GENERALLY THE COMPONENTS FOR A ROBOTIC HEAD, CONTROL, EYES, RECOGNITION, SPEECH, AI.... IT ALL COMES TOGETHER....

CHEKOUT SLUGGISH SOFTWARE for Mini projectr to do with FACE RECOGNITION.....

MORE ROBOT INFO SOON....

OPPIC make Virtual CHIPS programmable in VB VC# <<< ideal for OWN ROBOTICs.....

kaf

• View Profile
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 09:26:16 pm »
Hi all
I also have the ER1 robot along with HAL. Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones who purchased the robot after they stopped giving out the Software Development Kit for early buyers. This would have allowed integration to their software a bit easier. What IS given to new buyers of the ER1 kit is an API interface (which can be tested using windows Telnet program) or via the Python language.
I've tried using the python language but its just too slow running on the EPIA Mini ITX. (I might have to upgrade to a P4 board instead). I've played about a bit with HAL to see how it can be integrated to the ER1 or to the outside world even.
The 1st is voice recognition. We all need to talk to our ER1's. Unfortunately, the standard windows voice recognition is not good enough. (Too many errors) I had to use dragon speech for HAL to recieve what I was trying to say. The problems I encountered can be seen on this board.
http://http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1221&SearchTerms=ER1
The final solution was to always say the name of your HAL before the command. This also stopped the mic picking up un-intentional sounds.
The next was to add script to the main brain to act on command responses. eg. (using the Hal_Brain_Editor>Tools>Main_Knowledge_Database_>Main_keyword_&_priority_brain editor) we teach it to recognize the text MOVE, then additional text FORWARD. Under random response1, we put in "ER1:N100:I will now move forward".
Now back to the scripting. We create some code to recognize the first 4 characters with "ER1:" in a response. This can will tell further scripting the proceeding text is a valid action command followed by reply text.

The next issue I seem to read about is external interfacing of HAL to the big wide world. My job is a control systems engineer designing control systems. Our company uses only Mitsubishi kit so I can only tell you how to interface HAL via this route. Any Mitsubishi hardware can be used from PLC's (Programmable Logic Controllers, Speed Inverters, Servo Drives, SCADA systems, CCLink, Profibus, ASI networks, ect..).
The best way is by example. Suppose we want to control our house electrical appliances using HAL. The key item is a a program from Mitsubishi called MXComponent. This is basically an ActiveX interfacing program allowing easy interfacing to the hardware.
We will use a FX series PLC with 8 digital inputs & 8 relay outputs.
A serial lead with a RS232 to RS422 converter connects the PC to PLC programming port. Thats it! The relay outputs on the PLC is good for about 5Amps. Anything bigger will need a larger slave relay.
The stripped down MXComponet code written to the HAL script would look something like this.

Function plcwrite(Devicenumber, Devicevalue)
'  The ActEasyIF object is made.
Set ActCtrl = CreateObject("ActMulti.ActMLEasyIF")
'  The value of a LogicalStationNumber is set in the property.
ActCtrl.ActLogicalStationNumber = 0
'  The Open method is executed.
oret = ActCtrl.Open()
'  Write to PLC Data register
wret = ActCtrl.WriteDeviceBlock(Devicenumber, 1, Devicevalue)
'  Close the device
cret = ActCtrl.Close()
End Function

Now, if we wanted to write the value of 1 to data register D300, we simple call the function: plcwrite("D300",1) in our script.

In the PLC end, we can simple program up in ladder logic (very simple in ladder logic).

[= D300 k1]-------------------------------(X1)

This will switch on output1 when D300 contains the value of 1.
The possiblities is now only restricted to your imagination. eg. An off delay for the toilet extraction fan to switch off. Toggle switches, Dimmers, ect.
Additional functional modules such as extra I/O's, Analogue I/O's, PID controllers... the list is endless. (Blimey! I'm sounding like a salesman!)

Hope this is useful info for anyone wanting to use external controls.
(especially when mains voltages and heavy currents are concerned).

Kaf

Oh, here is some piccies of my ER1.

Download Attachment: rob.zip
110.02 KB

kaf

• View Profile
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 10:51:54 pm »
Hi again folks,
Ok, here is the big one! How to interface HAL to the ER1 robot...
This would be done with the RCC software running on the robot and connecting via the Telnet API. It's ideal for those of you who want the object recognition part of the software available to HAL.
e.g. On recognizing an object (apple), the EVENT call should reply with a text "object apple new (23%) (117,16,19.876 Inches)" This format is object <"name"> <features matched><total features> <x> <y> <distance>.
Now the bad news, unfortunately to achieve this you'll need an ActiveX object to perform the Telnet comms for you. You can re-invent the wheel or grit your teeth and buy one. I managed to find one at http://http://www.activexperts.com/activsocket/ It costs $149 dollars. That's about 100 uk pounds and they only sell a 10 license pack. You can download a 30day trial.
Using the trial ActiveSocket, here is an example script for you. Sorry, if it's a bit messy but my VBScript isn't that brilliant. Maybe the experts amongst us can tell us whether we can create some kind of an event in script to constantly send an EVENTS call to the Remote Control Centre software to read the responses.
This script can be run standalone and I've tested it on my ER1. It only needs integrating into HAL's main brain script.
Another good feature of using HAL with the ER1 is like me having a low powered 1Ghz CPU on the robot, all the processing power is eaten away by the RCC software. Using the Telnet connection via wireless network, we can have HAL & the Voice recognition program running on the desktop. HAL's speech and movement responses can still be relayed across to the robot to be acted on.  
Another object of the ActiveSocket is TCP/IP connections. I havent tried this out yet, but hopefully this weekend. If it works on Strabo Pathfinder, then this would complete the requirements for the ER1...Auto mapping via Strabo, Speech via HAL, Sight/Movement by the RCC software, Unlimted I/O connectability via Mitsubishi! I can now get rid of the Mrs!
Happy Scripting

Kaf

Download Attachment: rob2.zip
2.08 KB

kaf

• View Profile
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 09:49:26 am »
Update: 8th November 2004
Ok folks, here is the latest update on HAL & the ER1.
There hasn't been a lot going on with this project due to free time. My ER1 currently runs on a Mini-ITX M10000 (1Ghz CPU). It's trying to run HAL, Dragon Speech & the ER1 RCC software. As you can imagine, the CPU is at 100% just running the RCC software alone. I'm waiting for the release of the new ITX board in the UK to turbo charge this project. Here is the link for Commell.
http://http://www.commell.com.tw/News/News/News_20040813_LV-672.htm
 The new board will have 800mhz FSB which means i can slap a P4 3.6 with Hyper threading onto it. The robots 18A per hour power pack should last about 2 hours with this power hungry chip. But hey! better to have 2 hours of fun than 4 hours of frustration.
 The bot had a mic mounted on its head that required the user to talk within 2 feet before the dragon speech software recognized the commands. This was annoying because I had to get off my couch to talk to it? This bought on an idea!
A Belkin Bluetooth USB adapter was fitted for £15 ($28). This allowed my mobile phone's hands free ear piece/mic to connect to the robot motherboard. The software allows configuration of the earpiece to use only the Microphone and still allow the sound to come through the robot speakers. This now allows me voice access to HAL on the robot within 10 metres. Pity my fridge is further!
 I have read on the forum about the switching On/Off of the mic on the HAL program. Fortunately dragon speech does not require you to use this facility, the speech package inputs the text into the Input box as if you had typed it. I had tried using the mic switch on the HAL program but this gave a wierd conflict with the dragon speech.
For those of you who are frustrated with the mic picking up Hal's responses in a continuose loop, the <Hal name>, <command> is the only way I stopped this. Look on the link on the previous messages to impliment this.
I'll keep you all posted with this on going project.

Kaf

dihelson

• View Profile
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 02:34:30 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by spydaz

Many years ago, I had the idea of controling external devices using a single talking software I developed.
The last week I spent learning about HAL, testing it...etc. My purpose is to build HAL to control an external interface. I think it is possible. I understand a little bit of electronics, and I say that we can make an interface based on pulses. We could make an external device connected to the PC sound card. Hal would send pulses depending on the control we want. An external device would decode these pulses and control relays, thus controlling external lamps, and many other devices. The best thing on this way is that it's not complicated, since it uses the PC sound card for that, instead of the serial interface.
Something like 3 pulses activate the lamp, another 3 pulses deactivate.
4 pulses activate TV, another 4 pulses deactivate, and so on...

[]'s
Dihelson Mendonça

spydaz

• View Profile
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 04:50:26 pm »
I have been able to intergrate HAL with H.ome A.utomated L.iving's HOMESEER X10 protocol activeX component UltraHAL can control external devices ie: hal TURN ON <BEDROOM> <LIGHTS>

hal executes command XON a6
where a = roomcode 6 = lightcode

i have a question re: ER1 can he store his information brain remotely. ie wireless lan...

as i would be interested with having ER1 AS AN EXTERNAL EYES AND EARS FOR HAL as in the show ANDROMEDA. both using ULTRAHAL AS A CENTRAL BRAINCENTER.

NOW TURNING HAL INTO A AI SERVER CENTRAL BRAIN UNIT (CBU) WITH EYES AND EARS er1'S AND REMOTLY LOCATETED HAL CHARACTERS ON OTHER COMPUTERS SHARING A CBU DATABASE BRAIN.

THAT WOULD MAKE ER1 WEB ENABLED .

YOU MIGHT EVEN ASK HAL TO LOOK FOR A FRIEND/FAMILY MEMBER ON THE NETWORK OR IN THE HOUSE WITH ER1 WITH A MESSAGE..... WOW WEEE...

JUST A THOUGHT.... CONNECTIVITY IS THE KEY ISSUE HERE. HOW CAN WE MAKE THESE PROGRAMS COMMUNICATE THROUGH THE NETWORK OR WILL THEY HAVE TO TALK TO EACH OTHER VERBALLY....

ER1 WOULD HAVE TO DO SPEACH TRAINING WIZARD.... HEE HEE...

YOU NEVER KNOW ... WHO IS WORKING ON WHICH IDEAS ... SO HARD TO KEEP UP....

ALLL GOOOD STUUFFF...[^]

kevinvr

• View Profile
    • http://kevinvr.tripod.com
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 09:11:45 am »
Hi Everyone!
I'm sooo excited!!
I've ordered my ER1 and it should be getting here within the next 2 weeks or so.... takes a little longer to get to taiwan:)
I am looking forward to doing some great stuff with ER1 and Hal:)
see you all soon
Kevin
I dream of creating a self replicating, self maintaining, autonomous robot :)

ghostrider

• View Profile
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 10:39:40 am »

Hi all ive been reading your posts on the ER1 projects and i must say im facinated and will buy a ER1 soon ive been working on intagrating hal into a virtual 3d matrix using MS charicters for hals emotional and sinaptic responces IE sight and hearing.touch and smell will be the hardest you might think of buiding a small wireless link from the main cpu to the ER1 which uses the .com and activex commands like useing a home server to a workstation.you can automate all movement functions with the .com and axtive x codes in vb and the codes are free in the MS developers sections on MS agent 2.0 pages .

well nice to meet you all and good luck on your projets.

GhostRider

kevinvr

• View Profile
    • http://kevinvr.tripod.com
ER1 and Hal
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 09:56:02 pm »
Hi Ghostrider
yep, I think this is gonna be loads of fun!
all the best
Kevin
I dream of creating a self replicating, self maintaining, autonomous robot :)