dupa

Author Topic: WordNet  (Read 4899 times)

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
WordNet
« on: January 25, 2004, 07:04:23 am »
Could anyone please tell me what WN.GetBase("NOUN") does. I'm positive that it retreives a noun, but from where? Is it found in the UserSentence or WordNet?
 On that note, can anyone tell me what the other funtions of WordNet do. I have a list of the functions which I found on the website under the description of changes to Ultra Hal 5.0, but no idea of the usage of many of them (the syntax and what they return).
Here is the list of WordNet functions usable in the Hal script:

GetWN
LookupWord
IsNoun
IsAdj
IsAdv
GetBase
GetNumSenses
GuessPartOfSpeech
GetDefinition
GetCompoundWords
GetHolonyms
GetHypernyms
GetMeronyms
GetSynonyms
GetSisters
GetAntonyms
ChooseRandomWord
GetPartOfSpeechCount
GetFirstInList
RewordSentence
FindFirstNoun

*Precede the function with WN.
eg. WN.GetSisters

Living life with a loving heart, peaceful mind, and bold spirit.

vonsmith

• View Profile
WordNet
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 01:10:40 pm »
HALImprover,
Check this Medeksza posting: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=734

Example use:
List_Of_Sisters = ""
WN.LookUpWord("horse")  'This points WN to your word "horse".
List_Of_Sisters = WN.GetSisters("NOUN", 1) 'Get sisters in the first sense of the noun "horse". "1" denotes the WN entry sense.

Similarly:
List_Of_Synonyms = ""
WN.LookUpWord("horse")  'This points WN to your word "horse".
List_Of_GetSynonyms = WN.GetSynonyms("NOUN", 1)

etc:
as before...
List_Of_Meronyms = WN.GetMeronyms(1)
as before...

The WN.LookUpWord("WORD") statement must precede any inquiry. You only need to do this once before making as many inquiries as you like.

VERY IMPORTANT NEWS HOT OFF THE DESIGN TABLE!!!
I'm finishing development on a new eXtended Topic Focus (XTF) brain. It is my biggest script yet. Over 400 lines of new Hal "stuff". This brain uses WordNet extensively. HOWEVER, I think I have found a really bad bug. Hal occasionally crashes or screws up. I think I have traced this to the WN.GetSisters() function.

Perform this Test #1 to verify my findings:
1) Start Hal up.
2) At the start up screen open the menu and select "Lexical Dictionary".
3) Type the word "life" in (without the quotes).
4) Click on "Get Sisters".
5) On my system Hal crashes at this point.

Test #2:
1) Start Hal up.
2) At the start up screen open the menu and select "Lexical Dictionary".
3) Type the word "ghost" in (without the quotes).
4) Click on "Get Sisters".
5) On my system I get a dialog box that says,"Run-time error '-2147417848 (80010108)': Method '~' of object '~' failed. Usually Hal crashes at this point as well.

I'll make a separate posting about this possible bug.

Good luck. If your system fails as above then avoid any use of the WN.GetSisters function.

==vonsmith==

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
WordNet
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 05:58:18 pm »
Thanks vonsmith. That helped alot. It seems we have a similar goal in that I'm also trying to get Hal to understand the subject of conversation better. I'm essentially going for the same process as you to find the definite subject, but I want to keep the existing topic focus scheme. That way I can still use the original method of keeping Hal on topic (the part where the topic focus variable keeps the focus until it goes above 3 sentences).

In brief I want Hal to get the subject from the user's sentence and check his topicfocus.brn file for the subject or synonyms/sisters of the subject. If they appear in topicfocus.brn then generate a response based on that subject's associations. If they don't appear in the file then add them under a new subject (find the next available number ending in 5). The part that I'm so far having trouble with is finding that next available number for a new subject.
I wish there was a way to get the last text line from a file like ChooseSentenceFromFile, but getting the last line instead of a random line.

Thanks again for the reply and good luck with the troubleshooting. It can get tedious trying out almost every condition code can go through, especially when adding 400 lines of new code to existing code. I look forward to trying your new code. BTW have you had a chance to try the auto-idle code I posted?

Play long, Dream happily, Enjoy life
Living life with a loving heart, peaceful mind, and bold spirit.

acgdev

• View Profile
WordNet
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 02:52:33 am »
Hi,

In an attempt to access this web link mentioned in the message
( http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=734 )to get more information on wordnet functions -- getting this error message:

"There Was A Problem --You do not have access to this forum"

Any help would be highly appreciated on how to access the wordnet functions those were described in this thread.

Thanks.

onthecuttingedge2005

WordNet
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 05:09:46 am »
quote:
Originally posted by HALImprover

Thanks vonsmith. That helped alot. It seems we have a similar goal in that I'm also trying to get Hal to understand the subject of conversation better. I'm essentially going for the same process as you to find the definite subject, but I want to keep the existing topic focus scheme. That way I can still use the original method of keeping Hal on topic (the part where the topic focus variable keeps the focus until it goes above 3 sentences).

In brief I want Hal to get the subject from the user's sentence and check his topicfocus.brn file for the subject or synonyms/sisters of the subject. If they appear in topicfocus.brn then generate a response based on that subject's associations. If they don't appear in the file then add them under a new subject (find the next available number ending in 5). The part that I'm so far having trouble with is finding that next available number for a new subject.
I wish there was a way to get the last text line from a file like ChooseSentenceFromFile, but getting the last line instead of a random line.

Thanks again for the reply and good luck with the troubleshooting. It can get tedious trying out almost every condition code can go through, especially when adding 400 lines of new code to existing code. I look forward to trying your new code. BTW have you had a chance to try the auto-idle code I posted?

Play long, Dream happily, Enjoy life

Hi HALImprover.

What String and or Value and or Reference would you like the last line of a ChooseSentenceFromFile to be?
Details? Details?
Maybe, I can grant your wish.
Best of wishes and brand new discoveries.
Jerry[8D]

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
WordNet
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 05:55:28 pm »
WOAH...

I STILL HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO UTILIZE THE WORDNET YET.....

IS THERE NOT  A VERSION IN MSACCESS FORM.... IF NOT WHICH DATABASE PROGRAM COULD I OPEN THE WORDNET WITH AND POSSIBLY CONVERT IT OR SUMFINK..

PS THEIR OWN SITE IS QUITE USELESS IN FACT ALTHOUGH WORDNET SEEMS TO BE INVALUABLE ACROSS THE WORLD,, OTHER LANGUAGE FORMS, CHINESE , GREEK ETC FRENCH EVEN IS AVAILABLE IN MSACESS FORM?

EVEN SO COULDNET ALL THESE WORDNETS BE LINKED TOGETHER TO FORM PART OF A MULTILANGUAGED uLTRAHAL 6,,,, IS IT POSSIBLE, EVEN IF YOU COULD SAY "HAL WHAT IS A VOITURE" THEN HAL GIVE YOU THE ENGLISH DEFINITION FOR VIOTURE AS CAR.....

HMMM

onthecuttingedge2005

WordNet
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 07:13:36 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by spydaz

WOAH...

I STILL HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO UTILIZE THE WORDNET YET.....

IS THERE NOT  A VERSION IN MSACCESS FORM.... IF NOT WHICH DATABASE PROGRAM COULD I OPEN THE WORDNET WITH AND POSSIBLY CONVERT IT OR SUMFINK..

PS THEIR OWN SITE IS QUITE USELESS IN FACT ALTHOUGH WORDNET SEEMS TO BE INVALUABLE ACROSS THE WORLD,, OTHER LANGUAGE FORMS, CHINESE , GREEK ETC FRENCH EVEN IS AVAILABLE IN MSACESS FORM?

EVEN SO COULDNET ALL THESE WORDNETS BE LINKED TOGETHER TO FORM PART OF A MULTILANGUAGED uLTRAHAL 6,,,, IS IT POSSIBLE, EVEN IF YOU COULD SAY "HAL WHAT IS A VOITURE" THEN HAL GIVE YOU THE ENGLISH DEFINITION FOR VIOTURE AS CAR.....

HMMM

Hi Spydaz.

You can download the WordNet 2.0, There is a normal list of the words that would be easier to format if that's what your looking for.
When you install it look in the C:-Program-Files-WordNet2.0-dict folder for the same Wordnet with normal formatting, Some words are doubled so you may need one of my favorite programs Boxer Text Editor Or Info Rapid&Search to do some formatting, Any other formatting can be done in VbScript code itself. VBScript formatters are pretty easy to make.

My opinion of WordNet is.
1.WordNet Updates are to slow.
2.WordNet Structures are incomplete.

If WordNet updated their Database once a month then maybe we'd have something.

Like what Von was saying about some words causing WordNet errors I believe are related to the Nouns.txt and the processing between Hal and the format, There's a glitch in the written code.

Best of wishes and brand new discoveries.
Jerry
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 07:31:19 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »