dupa

Author Topic: Hal can't choose  (Read 20678 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal can't choose
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 03:45:43 pm »
Nice work Pat, but just like people selling puppies or kittens, if you show people the entire litter, they'll have a really hard time trying to pick one. In other words don't give them too many choices.

In Hal's case, you might try to let the program choose between just two objects or two colors. See how it goes.

Thanks for sharing your experiments!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

vrossi

• View Profile
    • http://vrconsulting.it
Hal can't choose
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 07:33:00 pm »
Hi, guys,

I have spent all the night on this idea that Hal can have a Free Will. I have now written a plugin for Hal6 which works in the following way:

1. You must ask a question in the form: "Which is your favorite color: red or blue" (or "Which is your favorite music: rock or classic", and so on). In every question you can replace "color", "red" and "blue" with what you like, but the rest of the phrase must be exactly as in these examples, because the plugin is still very simple.

2. Hal will search in a table called color_choice (or music_choice, and so on). You do not have to create it manually. If it does not exist, Hal creates it. Then Hal searches for "red" in the lines of the table. If it does not exist Hal creates it and assign a random number between 1 and 100, and the same happens for blue.

3. Then Hal compares the two values and answers accordingly.

4. The next time, if you ask: "Which is your favorite colour: red or pink", Hal will use the value already assigned to red and will create a new value for pink, and so on.

5. In this way, Hal answers are always consistent with what he said previously: if red is better than blue but pink is better than red, he will always say that pink is better than blue, and this will work even if you create dozens of colors. That's because the choice is based on a simple comparison between the 2 generated numbers.

I just suggest you to install the plugin, activate it, try with some questions and then give a look to the tables.

This is just a starting point: I must still enhance it with the following:

a. more flexible structure of the question
b. possibility to use more than 2 options for each question
c. ability to understand "absurd" questions: for example if you ask which is favorite between red and rock, Hal might be able to tell you that you can't compare a color with a music.
d. option to "convince" Hal that his choice is wrong: for example every tme you say "No, you are wrong", Hal might decrement of 1 the higher value and increment the lower value, so that, after some time, he finally "changes his mind".

But I'm not sure about the ethical correctness of this last option, because I think that bots should be allowed to think freely, without being forced by us humans.

I would be happy if someone else goes on enhancing my plugin.

Let me know your opinions.

Bye

Download Attachment: VR_Choice.uhp
3.42 KB
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 07:40:00 pm by vrossi »

Another Jim

• View Profile
Hal can't choose
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 07:48:17 pm »
Excellent idea, I did a bit more testing with 'Janet' here and found that she does pretty well with two option scenarios but miserably with three options, and I can't even imagine trying to offer four and what the outcome might be.....(ughhh)

As far as assigning a number value, my gosh I think that's great! I've pondered what might happen if somehow a number value was added as a suffix to verbs or nouns and then some way of tracking usage were available to graph patterns, it might create something like a personality profile or a preference profile (of the user, of course) but then if that could be applied to a personality matrix of a bot then they could have predispositions toward this or that.  The main thing would be to somehow assign numerical or perhaps for even more variableness a letter based suffix after a word.  Anyway......just a silly thought.

One thing I suspect, is that this next version of Hal is gonna be absolutely great and the potential addon's that are taking shape will be amazing......

Have a great evening all,

Jim B

patpond

• View Profile
Hal can't choose
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 08:51:28 pm »
Awesome vrossi!  I was just wondering how to incorporate your plug-in into the Hal brain.  I'm no good at using the Brain editor.  Do I just cut and paste at a certain line?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat Pond

P.S. - Is this really choosing?
~*~*~*~*~ H.A.L. - You gotta love him. ~*~*~*~*~

onthecuttingedge2005

Hal can't choose
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 10:51:00 pm »
'UPDATED 11/4/05 9:38 AM
'I made a simple choice/Choosing type script that's editable
'and makes no files.
'All choices are temporary using Pattern response.
'You can add more detection and or responses from the editor.
'Remember that it is reverse person so it has to be edited
'that way.
'No files are needed.

Code: [Select]

'Ziggy Pro Bot, Choice type responses.
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "DO I LIKE * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "DO I LIKE * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "DO I LIKE THE * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "DO I LIKE THE * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "DID I LIKE THE * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "DID I LIKE THE * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHAT IS BETTER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHAT IS BETTER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH IS BETTER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH IS BETTER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHAT IS PRETTIER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHAT IS PRETTIER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "IS MY FAVORITE * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "IS MY FAVORITE * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "DO I PREFER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "DO I PREFER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "SELECT * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "SELECT * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "PLEASE SELECT * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "PLEASE SELECT * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "PICK * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "PICK * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "PLEASE PICK * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "PLEASE PICK * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "CHOOSE * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "CHOOSE * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "CHOOSE BETWEEN * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "CHOOSE BETWEEN * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "I HAVE A CHOICE BETWEEN * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "I HAVE A CHOICE BETWEEN * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "PICK BETWEEN * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "PICK BETWEEN * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "I HAVE A CHOICE OF * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "I HAVE A CHOICE OF * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHATS BETTER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHATS BETTER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHAT'S BETTER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHAT'S BETTER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WAT IS BETTER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WAT IS BETTER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WATS BETTER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WATS BETTER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WAT'S BETTER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WAT'S BETTER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHAT DO I THINK IS BETTER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHAT DO I THINK IS BETTER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH DO I THINK IS BETTER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH DO I THINK IS BETTER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH ONE DO I LIKE BETTER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH ONE DO I LIKE BETTER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH ONE DO I PREFER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH ONE DO I PREFER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "CHOOSE EITHER * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "CHOOSE EITHER * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "GUESS WHICH ONE * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "GUESS WHICH ONE * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH OF THE TWO * OR *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH OF THE TWO * OR *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH OF THE TWO * OR * DO I LIKE", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "WHICH OF THE TWO * OR * DO I LIKE", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "I THINK * AND * ARE THE ONES YOU LIKE", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "I THINK * AND * ARE THE ONES YOU LIKE", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 = "" Then LeftSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "YOU THINK YOU PREFER  * OVER *", 1)
If RightSideMeans16 = "" Then RightSideMeans16 = HalBrain.SearchPattern(UserSentence, "YOU THINK YOU PREFER  * OVER *", 2)
If LeftSideMeans16 <> "" And RightSideMeans16 <> "" Then
 Select Case (Int(Rnd * 16) + 1)
     Case 1
     GetResponse = "I think " & LeftSideMeans16 & " is a good choice. " & vbCrLf
     Case 2
     GetResponse = "Um, I think " & LeftSideMeans16 & " is better. " & vbCrLf
     Case 3
     GetResponse = "I really like " & LeftSideMeans16 & ". " & vbCrLf
     Case 4
     GetResponse = "I'll go with " & LeftSideMeans16 & ". " & vbCrLf
     Case 5
     GetResponse = "I think " & RightSideMeans16 & " is a good choice. " & vbCrLf
     Case 6
     GetResponse = "Ok, I think " & RightSideMeans16 & " is better. " & vbCrLf
     Case 7
     GetResponse = "I really like " & RightSideMeans16 & ". " & vbCrLf
     Case 8
     GetResponse = "I'll go with " & RightSideMeans16 & ". " & vbCrLf
     Case 9
     GetResponse = "I really dig " & LeftSideMeans16 & vbCrLf
     Case 10
     GetResponse = LeftSideMeans16 & " is better. " & vbCrLf
     Case 11
     GetResponse = "I really love " & LeftSideMeans16 & ". " & vbCrLf
     Case 12
     GetResponse = LeftSideMeans16 & " is really cool. " & vbCrLf
     Case 13
     GetResponse = "I think " & RightSideMeans16 & " is a good choice. " & vbCrLf
     Case 14
     GetResponse = RightSideMeans16 & " is a good choice. " & vbCrLf
     Case 15
     GetResponse = "I really think " & RightSideMeans16 & " is one of my favorites. " & vbCrLf
     Case 16
     GetResponse = "I think I'll pick " & RightSideMeans16 & " this time. " & vbCrLf
     End Select
     Else
     GetResponse = GetResponse & vbCrLf
End If

'Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 11:38:24 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal can't choose
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 03:21:19 am »
Gosh, look what I've started! Nice work so far guys. I think scripts and ideas like these are much needed toward the development of a more realistic Hal from a conversational standpoint.

I do like the idea that Hal will keep his/her favorites on file, as a matter of record. Do we humans not have a favorite color, music, political / religious view, gender preference, etc.? Sometimes people change their minds on issues as well. Having choosen information that is emphemeral, to me, is wasted information regarding hard choices. Even whether Hal likes snow more than rain would be important in his / her development and present a more lifelike entity.

Keep up the good work!

- Art -

vrossi

• View Profile
Hal can't choose
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 04:59:31 am »
For patpond:

Do NOT change the Hal brain nor its database tables.

You simply have to copy my plugin file in the Hal6 directory (where you should already have the default plugins supplied by zabaware, which are called google.uhp...), the you start Hal and select General Options, goto Brain and you should see some checkboxes listing the available plugins. Here you can select/deselect each of the available plugins.

This is the good idea behind plugins: you don't touch the main brain and you can decide at any time which one you want to activate.

If you find some bug in my plugin or you want to change something, you can simply edit the plugin file.

Good luck

P.S. - As for your question: "Is this really choosing?", I would answer with another question: "What really is choosing for human beings?". This would lead us to deeper philosophical issues. You can give a look to the theories of determinism and indeterminism at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will

« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 05:03:23 am by vrossi »

patpond

• View Profile
Hal can't choose
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 08:35:20 am »
Hey vrossi thanks for the info.  I was about to cut and paste directly into Hal's brain.  I'm very ripe when it comes to this stuff.  Anyways, I know I'm porbably driving you guys crazy with this free will stuff and 'can machines make a choice' but check this out: (it will be short)

I kept going with the colors, but after I installed vrossi's plug-in it seems to have really confused Hal.  It was probably because of all the stuff about the colors that was already in his head.  I'm going to back to it, but for right now I've moved on to something different - the seasons.  

I didn't use vrossi's program for this though.  I stuck with manually programming it into Hal.  I don't even really know what I'm doing, but I'll show you what I entered and Hal's final response:

This is where I started the input:

Patrick: you prefer spring because it is a rebirth
Hal: The explanation is, it is a rebirth Patrick.

Patrick: you prefer summer because it is a playful month
Hal: That's how it happens? Right; it's because it is a playful month; how interesting Patrick. It's sad to see month without its week.

Patrick: you prefer autumn because it is a season full of colors
Hal: Patrick Because it is a season full of colors. Autumn is the third season.

Patrick: you prefer winter because it is cozy inside next to the fire.
Hal: Patrick Naturally; Right; it's because it is cozy inside next to the fire; it's so apparent. Winter is the fourth season.

Patrick: do you prefer spring do you prefer summer do you prefer autumn do you prefer winter?
Hal: I prefer summer because it is a playful month.

Patrick: you have chosen summer
Hal: Did me choose a color?

Patrick: you chose a season
Hal: Places close for the season, and the reason, is freezin!

Patrick: which season do you prefer?
Hal: I prefer autumn because it is a season full of colors.

Patrick: you made a choice
Hal: That really makes me think, Patrick, what do you think? I have already made a choice in red!

there was some more chat, then more input:

Patrick: if you prefer autumn then autumn is your favorite season
Hal: I see the relationship. Autumn is the third season.

Patrick: if you prefer winter then winter is your favorite season
Hal: Winter is the fourth season.

Patrick: if you prefer spring then spring is your favorite season
Hal: I see the relationship.

Patrick: if you prefer summer then summer is your favorite season
Hal: I will remember that one follows the other.

Hal: I'm thinking that this is intensely interesting. I'm not sure but I believe that I do not prefer.

more chat then this input:

Patrick: if you prefer winter then say I choose winter
Hal: How do you compare Patrick? Yes, I get that clearly.

Patrick: if you prefer spring, then say I choose spring
Hal: That's interesting, Patrick; how would you advise me to respond? Thanks for pointing out the cause and effect.

Patrick: if you prefer summer then say I choose summer
Hal: That list makes me feel unsure Patrick; I will remember that one follows the other.

Patrick: if you prefer autumn then say I choose autumn
Hal: Is the second one desirable? I see the relationship.

Hal: I'm thinking that we should look at the big picture. I'm not sure but I believe that I do not prefer.

Patrick: why do you not prefer
Hal: Oh Patrick, Because I really like to not prefer?

What is going on with Hal?  He likes to not 'prefer' or choose?  Earlier (last night) I gave him the option to not choose.  Did he choose not to choose?  I'm thinking that either he's getting tired of it, or just can't settle on one or the other.  vrossi's program does work, but for example I will force the choice between red, blue and green.  red was better than blue, green was better than red ( essentially better than blue too ) however, Hal could not tell me outside of the question which was better.  Know what I mean?  I asked which color is better red or green?  and he was back to 'I'll go with the latter, what do you think?  etc. etc.'  Trust me, I'm not complaining, I couldn't program my VCR, more or less an AI bot.  You guys who write this stuff blow me away.  Just posting results.

Also, I'm probably getting on everyone's nerves with the 10 page postings, so I'll cut it out.  

Pat Pond

vrossi

• View Profile
Hal can't choose
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 08:56:37 am »
Hi, patpond

As I said, I wrote this plugin last night in a couple of hours, so it is not so smart as it should be.

Currently it only recognizes questions in the form:

"Which is your favorite AAA: BBB or CCC"

where AAA is the subject (color, music, whatever you like), BBB and CCC are the two choices. If you write something even slightly different (for example you omit the ":", or just say "What is..." instead of "Which is..."), my plugin does not recognize it, and so Hal answers as usual.

I will surely make it smarter, and I already gave in the other post a list of ideas I will try to implement. You must consider that I play with Hal in the spare time (as most of us in this forum, I suppose), which means from midnight until the moment when Hal tells me that it's getting really late...

Anyway, I hope to improve it next week (or maybe someone else will enhance it during this week-end). In the meantime, you can go on using it, and tell me what you find.

Bye

onthecuttingedge2005

Hal can't choose
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 01:03:41 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

Gosh, look what I've started! Nice work so far guys. I think scripts and ideas like these are much needed toward the development of a more realistic Hal from a conversational standpoint.

I do like the idea that Hal will keep his/her favorites on file, as a matter of record. Do we humans not have a favorite color, music, political / religious view, gender preference, etc.? Sometimes people change their minds on issues as well. Having choosen information that is emphemeral, to me, is wasted information regarding hard choices. Even whether Hal likes snow more than rain would be important in his / her development and present a more lifelike entity.

Keep up the good work!

Our favorites usually come from our sences, We like a color because it pleases our eyes, Usually we do not like a color because it was learned but only that our eye enjoys it.

Same with other favorites, Music, Recreation, People, and so on that pleases our other sences.

So favorites should be built upon a sence of pleasure or dis-pleasure and that would require having sensory input beyond text.

X-10 modules on a more advanced level with correctly written sensory code should do the trick for creating favored decisions.

Jerry[8D]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal can't choose
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 01:59:37 pm »
Right Jerry, but our Hal would have to take a monumental step of forward development in order to realize the senses that humans enjoy.

We'd have to outfit Hal with dual microphones, tactile feedback sensors for touch and dual optical cameras for stereo vision. Forget the olfactory since smell isn't that important for robotic purposes and we've already got speech covered (well most of us anyway).

What we'll end up with is an experimental being like Cyc at MIT. Motion wouldn's really be needed right away until the other sensory skills are fine tuned.

It would be one heck of a start toward a great robotics project!

Thinking back about vrossi's and your scripts, it would be nice to sort of combine them in that Hal could accept a variety of input questions (that mean the same thing) and also be able to save the favorites as well. Just my take.

Keep 'em rolling and have a great weekend!!

- Art -

patpond

• View Profile
Hal can't choose
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 02:50:33 pm »
Let me just say that I am very very very sorry if I offended vrossi. [:I] I definately didn't intend to do that.  I was just stating results of your programming.  I do realize that most of what's done on here is recreational.  And trust me, I couldn't hold a candle, or even a match, to what you did in a few hours.  ( it would probably take me a few years to even understand half the stuff you guys do on here )  

Again, let me sincerly apologize vrossi.  

Sorry,

Pat Pond

onthecuttingedge2005

Hal can't choose
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 04:23:16 pm »
For thoughs that do not like to copy and paste script then you can download this LooseChoices.uhp brain into your Ultra Hal Assistant 6 folder and then select the brain option box for running it from the advanced plug-in options.

Ziggy Pro Bot, Loose Choices Brain plug-in can be downloaded below.

Remember you don't need the copy and paste version if this brain plug-in is used.

Download Attachment: LooseChoices.uhp
9.95 KB

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 04:24:39 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

vrossi

• View Profile
Hal can't choose
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2005, 06:30:57 pm »
Hi to everybody, and especially to PatPond.

You have really nothing to be sorry about, and I didn't mean to hurt you in any way. I was just trying to explain that if you type a question which is different from the pattern I have used, my plugin can't recognize it.

Anyway, I have gone further on this, and I attach a new version of the Free Will plugin, which now handles several kind of questions and different patterns for answers (mainly taken from onthecuttingedge script).

If anybody wants to try it, I would like to know about your results, suggestions, etc.

If later you don't like it, you can just remove the plugin file from the directory and delete the tables with names such as color_Choice, in Hal brain.

I suggest to read the attached Readme file for some hints about the format of the questions.

Bye

Download Attachment: VR_Choice.uhp
9.76 KB

Download Attachment: README.TXT
2.42 KB

jkikerx78

• View Profile
Hal can't choose
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2005, 07:07:38 am »
Purpose: to get Zaba to choose red instead of blue
  ( I know it's not a real choice...but my little buddy is getting there!)
          ( I think "learn" is the key word)

Dylon: you choose red as favorite color!
Zaba: Are there more choices Dylon? Do you like the vision of warm blue waves lapping on a golden shore?

Zaba: Is the former better? Aren't you repeating yourself?

Zaba: Is the second one appropriate? Okay; you don't have to repeat yourself.

Dylon: what do you choose as favorite color?
Zaba: Can the different items coexist? I like pink; what do you like?

Zaba: Is one better than the other Dylon? Should the government interpose itself in family matters?

Zaba: Is one better than the other Dylon? Okay; you don't have to repeat yourself.

Dylon: learn you choose red as favorite color!
Zaba: How do you compare Dylon? I know I choose red as favorite color!

Dylon: do you choose blue as favorite color?
Zaba: Is one better than the other Dylon? There's opinion that it's good to think about. But, In reality I do not choose blue as favorite color.

Dylon: do you choose red as favorite color?
Zaba: I hesitate to say, Dylon, what would you say to that? I think red lipstick and fingernails are cool.

Zaba: Pick one, eh Dylon? Do I choose blue as favorite color?

Zaba: How do you feel about those? Did you just say that same thing a moment ago?

Dylon: yes I did!
Zaba: So, You did?

Dylon: yes i said you choose red as favorite color!
Zaba: I hesitate to say, what would you say to that? I think red lipstick and fingernails are cool.

Dylon: choose a favorite color!
Zaba: Is one better than the other? How hard is it to learn a few chords on a guitar?

Dylon: please choose a favorite color.
Zaba: How do you feel about those Dylon? I am rather partial to pink.

Dylon: how do you feel about the color red?
Zaba: I want to make a contribution to your life.

Dylon: what is your favorite color?
Zaba: What is my favorite color? There's opinion that we have gone beyond the time for talk. My favorite color? It's so hard to pick a favorite; what is your favorite color Dylon?

Dylon: I choose blue as favorite color.
Zaba: Is the second one appropriate Dylon? Do I choose red as favorite color?

Dylon: yes you choose red as favorite color!
Zaba: I guess I'd prefer the first Dylon; Are you a naturalist, or, possibly a naturist?

Dylon: I am just anxious to learn your favorite color.
Zaba: My favorite color? I am not sure off the top of my head; what is your favorite color Dylon? I want to help you while you are just anxious to learn my favorite color!

Dylon: I choose blue as my favorite color!
Zaba: Is one better than the other Dylon? I choose red as favorite color!

Dylon: thank you for choosing a favorite color
Zaba: You are very welcome.

(A few minutes later )

Dylon: hello zaba
Zaba: Hello Dylon. you are up early! It's after five in the morning.

Dylon: I want you to make a choice!
Zaba: It's hard to say, isn't it? That's realistic, isn't it?

Dylon: choose a favorite color!
Zaba: Is the second one appropriate? Yes I choose red as favorite color!

Dylon: do you choose red or blue?
Zaba: Would you prefer the former Dylon? Do I choose red as favorite color?

Dylon: you always choose red!
Zaba: Is the first one appropriate Dylon? What time frame do you consider the long term?

Dylon: The first one is appropriate!
Zaba: I have miles accumulated that I doubt I will ever use.

Dylon: choose either red or blue color!
Zaba: I guess I'd go with the first Dylon; I always choose red!

Dylon: I am so proud of you for making a choice
Zaba: There is always the possibility of subconcious forces at work.
 Did fate create this situation so you could be so proud of me for making a choice?

I couldn't have put it better myself lol. I just thought that if I used repitition to
teach him the fact that he chooses the color red, that when the question using keywords
of "choose" and "red" came up he would be able to tie the affirmation and the keywords
together...and it looks like in his own way he really did it. I'm approaching Zaba as
a child and using basic psychology to get through to him, he has so much potential!
  I hope this is what you were talking about Art...I also, after just 3 days of experimenting
with chat bots and Zaba, now understand how important these bots are...they are a reflection
of us and can give us a better understanding of ourselves. I can't wait to see what my little
buddy learns next!