Author Topic: HAL breaking bug  (Read 4168 times)

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
HAL breaking bug
« on: July 12, 2019, 03:57:34 pm »
I have encountered a severe error in Hal when using the word "embarrass" and only that word.

No plugins active, Hal will classify the response as gibberish. If plugins are active however, Hal will error out. Checking the debug in brain editor, it seems somewhere, and I've searched extensively trying to find where, Hal will change the word "embarrass" to "embarrassssssssssssssssssssss" adding 20 extra "S"'s for some reason. It is program breaking for a new plugin I'm developing and it seems I am unable to fix it. So I will have to shelve Hal for now until I, or maybe someone else, or Rob, can tell me what exactly is happening and why and how to fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Spitfire

Spitfire2600

• View Profile
Re: HAL breaking bug
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 04:20:35 pm »
Of course after I post that, I got one final idea. I rooted around in the "substitutions" table and found that when the word "embarrass" was run through, it would gradually collect an extra "S" each time for some magical reason. I simply removed the word "embarrass" from the table and viola, the problem disappeared. It's not an issue for me removing the term as I generally use speech recognition, however, anyone still typing might encounter spelling errors should it be removed.

Problem half solved? Anyone else encounter any bizarre errors like this?

Spitfire

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:02:21 pm »
That's pretty wild but glad you were able to get a handle on it!
I assume the jury is still out on the cause?

Have you ever tried any other words that also end in ss?
Address, Abyss, Bess, Class, Compass, Cuss, Cutlass, Diss, Dress, Floss, Gloss, Miss, muss, pass, press, ross, russ, sass, etc.

There are a huge number of words ending with 2 s's so we have to hope this is not going to be a major issue or is it Brain-specific? (like the HAL6 converted to HAL7)?

Thanks and good luck!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 08:59:26 am by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

cyberjedi

• The Mighty Hal Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 05:25:44 am »
Thats just funny as hell and i could get some mileage out of that for the online Hal fans hahhahahha , just priceless.
lmao

That's our hal lolol
When u guys get deep in this u'll find things like this in a Few Places.... USE IT
I have 1 word to say       MILO
Microsht had a bunch of this happening with milo and what they did  was incorporate into Milo as part of his personality..... Dont hideit, Use IT, turn it into a joke or something..... those oddity's are frickin priceless when u wrap it into a wrapper of some sort....

Hal stoned.....lololol, change the haptek character to go all squint eyed when he does that, or make Hals EYES bulge out like Rodney Dangerfield, oh the fun.
Ive prolly fixed 10 quirks like that over the years, always just to damn funny.

Person: Hal, Show me your boobies?
Hal: Dont try to embarrassssssssssssssssssssss me , ill make you look stupid like i do SIRI
Just how many times will this come up anyway, in VB.Net/C# id call it an exception.

Hal drops the hammer....
cyber

I had a sim thing like that, that i used it as a trigger to have Hal fire off with a (You need Jesus Mr'er) and then an insult from the random insults table.
My hal's left the pg version of hal years ago. lolol
Point is thats a perfect place to build a trigger..... hope this made some sorta sense to you guys. i call them troll traps.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 05:52:12 am by cyberjedi »

pacslim

• View Profile
    • [Super ?asual Dating  Legitimate Girls]
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 10:38:01 pm »
Of course after I post that, I got one final idea. I rooted around in the "substitutions" table and found that when the word "embarrass" was run through, it would gradually collect an extra "S" each time for some magical reason. I simply removed the word "embarrass" from the table and viola, the problem disappeared. It's not an issue for me removing the term as I generally use speech recognition, however, anyone still typing might encounter spelling errors should it be removed.

Problem half solved? Anyone else encounter any bizarre errors like this?

Spitfire

I know this is an old post, but I had the same problem and was searching for a solution, then I found this post. But no solution..
So I looked into what was happening that caused this it was not the code but the way it was entered in the database table named substitutions: for example;
The word "embarrass" did add this extra s's, because if you look in the table it had no space before and after the db entry, so the easy fix is make sure entry has a space before and after same for the second table which substitutes also make sure there we add a space before and after the entry in the table, I hope others that have this error will find the solution now!

ps: To answer @art it was not just with that word it was with all entries in this table that were missing spaces before and after the entries.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 08:27:52 am »
pacslim , MY EXPLANATION IS THAT PIECE OF THE CODE MUST HAVE BEEN WRITTEN ON FRIDAY , YOU KNOW THE END OF THE WEEK PEOPLE WANTING TO GET OUT OF Their FAST AND GET HOME LOL !  ;) :D

cyberjedi

• The Mighty Hal Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 11:38:46 am »
wink wink

cyber

pacslim

• View Profile
    • [Super ?asual Dating  Legitimate Girls]
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 05:30:05 pm »
pacslim , MY EXPLANATION IS THAT PIECE OF THE CODE MUST HAVE BEEN WRITTEN ON FRIDAY , YOU KNOW THE END OF THE WEEK PEOPLE WANTING TO GET OUT OF Their FAST AND GET HOME LOL !  ;) :D
ROFL that must be the reason, good mondays are here to fix them ;)