Author Topic: When wil I be able to play chess with HAL  (Read 4246 times)

ApeOverlord

• View Profile
When wil I be able to play chess with HAL
« on: November 20, 2002, 10:27:06 pm »
Is anyone trying to make a chess plug-in, where HAL will make witty remarks and comments about the moves you make, and engage in conversation juring the game.

WholyChao

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 03:09:17 pm »
That sounds like an interisting project.  Do you have a specific set of parameters in mind or do you just want to program to play chess?

WholyChao

STREET228

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 11:17:51 pm »
I am an old chess guru, and talk with hal during my chess games,,but of course hal can,t watch...I would love to have hal be able to sit in on my bouts with Chessmaster...sounds like a terrific IDEA ApeOverlord!! and WholyChao...playing against hal would be a trip too..even if it is just using the board coordinates...something to definately think about.....hummmmmmmm.

Jeff Merrill

WholyChao

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2002, 05:40:12 pm »
actually you might be able to help out street.  I've been poking away at the project, I've got a list of the basic rules and a way (I hope) to teach hall to remember the game by grid placement.

Any interest in helping out - perhaps with the move development.  
I think the best way to have the program run is to give it a catalog of moves that could be played against it and moves that hal could respond with.

The biggest problem with teaching Hal to play chess is teaching users to speak the same languge.  Hal can lean by grid placement, could a user keep up with the same kind of info - It's always the communication that get's you in the end.

Also - Hal is programed in VB,is it possible to have a little board that hal could move pieces around on.

WholyChao

waheedrafiq

• View Profile
    • http://www.dynex.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2003, 09:59:51 am »
can you create a plugin in C++ for hal

MCP x 2 , Network+ , CCNA, C/C++

"Never give up by giving up?"
MCP x 2 , Network+ , CCNA, C/C++

"Never give up by giving up?"

WholyChao

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2003, 01:44:47 pm »
VB is my frist programing language, and I'm learning it so I can try and work with Hal.  I hope someone has the answer to that question.  My more learned computer friends are making fun of me for trying to learn VB instead of a REAL language.  Oh well.

WholyChao