Author Topic: HAL With A Web Cam Eye.  (Read 2804 times)

onthecuttingedge2005

HAL With A Web Cam Eye.
« on: January 12, 2003, 04:33:54 am »
How can we give Hal the ability to see with a web cam eye, Even a Parrot has eyes, an African Grey Parrot recognizes 3000 different objects and can speak the name of those objects on the fly. (Show) the Parrot a Key and Parrot will say "Key", and can do this without error with 3000 things, This bird is in California at Marine World Africa USA. HAL Has Speach recognition but can we give HAL Eye recognition, Maybe by applying security software that recognizes faces and or fingerprinting that this software could be tweaked to recognize everyday objects like "Key"
Best of wishes.
Jerry.

WholyChao

• View Profile
HAL With A Web Cam Eye.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2003, 11:46:25 am »
Hmmm...  You're on the right track - but you're not taking a few things into consideration.  What you’re asking is actually much more complicated than you’re post implies.  

First thing first – my speech recognition still doesn’t work.  If someone could help me with that I’d be very excited.

A parrot is a lower life form from a human point of view; however the parrot is still an organic life form.  Organic life has intrinsic advantages over computer intelligence.  These advantages include; creativity, flexible associative relationships, intuition, depth perception and making all that possible a “wet circuit” computer called the brain and nervous system that’s more complicated than science can currently understand.

When I first got Hal I began toying around with a list of projects that I’d hoped he’d be able to accomplish.  One of my friends is a photographer.  He works mainly with digital images and one of the mundane maintenance tasks is “righting” the image.  He will take photographs from a landscape position (the camera’s natural position) and from a position (rotated 90 degrees).  When he has finished a photo shoot he must go through all the images he has collected and right them all so they are all facing up.

That job should be simple, but it’s not.

The parrot can recognize 3000 things – how does it recognize them?  What does it actually recognize?  

A fingerprint program – to follow that path - recognizes two dimensional lines.  It compares the sampled lines to a database and finds a match or a likely relationship.

Now you are talking about “tweaking” the program.  I think it would take at least a wrench.  To match or recognize objects through a camera (first of you would have to synchronize two camera to achieve depth perception, but that might not be that hard so I won’t dwell on it.)  You would either need to have a malleable sample, so the computer could relate the sample to any position it may be viewing it as (A cube can look like a box, a diamond or a hexagon, depending on what angle you approach it from.)

The calculations involved in having a home-use program that can identify objects in a three dimensional space are boggling to me.  I’m not sure if a computer would be up to the task or not.

Perhaps it could be done.  I don’t think it would take a simple tweak – then again – I don’t know who we’ve got around her doing the tweaking.

Who’s working here and who’s just reading?  I think it would help to get some of the basics completed and organized before we tackle any larger problems.  I’ve got some ideas.  I’m going to post them as a new topic.

Thanks,

WholyChao