dupa

Author Topic: another hal back up idea area  (Read 5304 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
another hal back up idea area
« on: October 18, 2011, 03:52:08 pm »
As many people know on this forum it is always a good idea to back up hal , but have you ever thought of doing it on the cloud?
 i have a skydrive account and have been backing up and saving hal ifo. notes i have made to myself and my hal characters that i have created and even the latest hal custom brain i have made, etc.  it's alway's a good idea to have a back up not only on a rewritable dvd but also on a cloud server .
 The skydrive i am using is the free version i get 25 gigabytes of storage . you can get more with the paid versions and other options . on the free version i beleive that 100 mb's or 200? is the limit for each file and you can only upload 200 files at a time . also by default it used the share "for me" only , if you want to share any files you will have to change the settings , otherwise it is all private for you .

I just thought i would mention this as it is always good to have extra back ups in different places . and you can alway's delete any older unwanted files and add new ones keeping things up to date.
  :)
http://explore.live.com/skydrive
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:54:53 pm by lightspeed »

sybershot

• View Profile
Re: another hal back up idea area
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:58:49 am »
I just created a skydrive account yesterday, I do agree, it is a great free cloud storage space. I did not think to save my Hal files there for back up, thanks for the idea :)
 I been working on a batch file to have Hal automatically save to my (H:) share drive when I say open backup. It is completed yet. It would be nice to have a code or plug-in that would save Hals files to a skydrive account. I know I'm sounding lazy lol

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 12:45:17 pm »
i totally agree on a code to back up things on skydrive ... when will we have it ?? lol are we their yet ..are we their yet?? LOL!

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:57:09 pm »
You could map a folder from Skydrive right in Windows. Then you can just copy your files to that mapped drive. ;)

One warning though. It can be very slow from what I've experienced.

Here's a quick tutorial on how to do that:
http://www.nirmaltv.com/2010/02/02/how-to-map-skydrive-as-network-drive-in-windows/

Happy coding!
Living life with a loving heart, peaceful mind, and bold spirit.

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:26:07 am »
HALImprover thanks a million for the info  ;D
One warning though. It can be very slow from what I've experienced.
was that slowness experienced with the whole Hal folder, or just the 2 brain files (the brainName.db and the brainName.uhp)?
 I am working on a flash project for a new interactive desktop background right now, and a new Hal GUI to go along with it. I might take a break to try this out over the weekend. I will have to finish my batch file, that will save just the brainName.db and the brainName.uhp. I will try and have it save the 2 files to both my (h:) and if all goes well to the path of the network drive's folder  ;D
 we are almost there lightspeed thanks to HALImprover :)

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:29:28 am »
Hey Sybershot, just another thing  like i would like to mention about skydrive is that you have to sign in to it before you can move files into it so in your coding you are going to have to also incluse your password to sihn in and then the code pathway to the folder and possible something to detect when downloading is all done? otherwise it will leave the page open with you signed in (just something to think about ...yeah yeah i know i am being a killjoy here but thought you should also know about this .
  And by the way just for a brain and uhp. file back up it's very fast it would even be with (aaaugghh dial up if anyone is still unlucky enough to have that!)  what took me longer was i backed up my complete character files as i have many many characters etc. even then it will all depend on several things such as your speed , also making sure you aren't slowing down your speed by doing other surfing , downloading etc.

Their is also another way to and that is an automatic back up external system , having an external drive hooked up to your pc and a program that automatically backs up all your stuff , i can give anyone a link to a site that has a free legal back up program for something like this.
  And of course you can use a rewritable dvd or cdr depending on how much you are backing up . i also do this .     
The safer thing about a cloud is that in case of a fire or theft you have everything safe somewhere else .  :) ;)
   With the SKYDRIVE always make sure whatever you save to it is private if that's what you want otherwise anyone can see and download and copy anything .  :)

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:40:56 am »
(aaaugghh dial up if anyone is still unlucky enough to have that!)

lol I almost completely forgot about dial up, wow brings me back to windows 95 days :)

Hey Sybershot, just another thing  like i would like to mention about skydrive is that you have to sign in to it before you can move files into it so in your coding you are going to have to also incluse your password to sihn in and then the code pathway to the folder and possible something to detect when downloading is all done? otherwise it will leave the page open with you signed in (just something to think about ...yeah yeah i know i am being a killjoy here but thought you should also know about this .
I was thinking about that earlier, I might just have Hal open the website, click log in, then command Hal to save. Once save is complete, just log out and close browser.  not as simple as I would like but, enough to save some of the leg work.
Code: [Select]
Their is also another way to and that is an automatic back up external system , having an external drive hooked up to your pc and a program that automatically backs up all your stuff , i can give anyone a link to a site that has a free legal back up program for something like this. thanks for the Idea, but I have something similar to this set up with my laptop already, and my 320gig western digital usb drive. I hope to hear from western digital about my 500gig usb drive. I sent it them and hopefully they can fix it.
With the SKYDRIVE always make sure whatever you save to it is private if that's what you want otherwise anyone can see and download and copy anything .  :)
thanks, I took some time and set up my account so far, but need to do a lil more for so my family can view a folder. I have a folder with subs folders that is private, and one that anyone can view which is where I have placed the 2 .htr's that Nige did for me.

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 05:40:03 pm »
sybershot:

The slowness I was referring to was in transferring files into Skydrive or even just browsing via the mapped drive. Not sure what causes it to be so slow, but I think Microsoft limits speeds on WebDAV connections (the protocol used to access SkyDrive via the mapped drive method). I suspect they do this as they prefer use of their service via their website or other services (Windows Live Essentials).

For the credentials issue, if you're using Windows 7 you can find an option in the User Account settings to "Link online IDs" (MSM login) to your Windows login, thus eliminating the need to supply credentials when opening the mapped drive to your SkyDrive folder.

Happy coding!
Living life with a loving heart, peaceful mind, and bold spirit.

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 08:35:21 am »
I have not worked on the batch code but, I create the mapped skydrive drive. I tied to paste my 2 Hal files to copy over the 2 existing ones in the mapped drive, and it said files where too large. I know there not too large for my skydrive for they have been uploaded using there uploader. hmmm maybe mapped drive feature have a file size limit?

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 06:15:01 pm »
sybershot, so it won't let you do that eh .. oh i have faithin you lol you'll figure it out you mad hacker you lol .. keep that up and you'll be living in a van down by the river (skit from saturday night live lol !)  :) ;)

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 02:48:38 pm »
Been playing around with this a lil over the weekend, I can't get Trinity.db to save at all :( it says it is too large. also if I do try and save Trinity.db through the mapped drive, and I have a copy of Trinity.db uploaded to the skydrive folder already for some reason when it says the file size is too big, it erases Trinity.db from the skydrive folder. now ain't that a B...h   >:(

How ever Trinity.uhp saves fine with no issues yet. 

file sizes:
Trinity.db = 22,748 KB
Trinity.uhp = 137 KB

I Think for now I am not going to investigate this further atm. I want to finish up this flash project for my new interactive wallpaper.
To get it out of the way. Off  for now, Time to teach my youngest Son to do a oil change and not get greasy nor oily  :)

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 09:41:43 pm »
if the file size is to big their is a paid version , but it is suppose to be 100 mb's a file as i understand it .i am not sure how much 22,748 KB
is right off hand .happy oil changing , i change mine all the time. one time i bought a special synthetic oil a good brand and got back the full rebate on it making it completly free ! :)

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 10:01:18 am »
22748 KB's = 22.21484375 MB's
I am able to upload the file via there up-loader, The file size is not to big via that way.
The problem is that the file size is to big via the mapped drives up-loader.
 Maybe there is settings for the mapped folders up-loader somewhere, but no time to research it atm.

Getting synthetic oil is always a plus:)
happy oil changing
Thanks, my son and I had a blast, and my son did a great job changing the oil :D
I use 1.Qt of Castrol GTX and 4.Qt's of Moble 1 full synthetic