Zabaware Forums > General Discussion

To all Hal users - must read

(1/6) > >>

Bill819:
Today in the world of artificial intelligence most of the worlds experts say that the future developement of what we call AI lies in the world of chatterbots. They say because of the interactive nature of natural language processing that they think these will lead the way to AI as the world has envisioned it in the future.
Roberts program Ultra Hal Assistant is one of the greatest and most powerful chatterbot programs out there and is constantly being improved. He supplies a free version as well as an enhanced version to all who want it. Of course the enhanced version comes with a small price tag, but more than worth it in my opinion.
Yesterday, in a conversation with Robert I asked why he has incorporated some of the user contributed scripts sent in by people like me. He said that it was a copyright infrengement that he was worried about. In this respect I believe he might have a point, but then again once the scripts are publicly posted on this site for all users to have and use, I then question the proper ownership of those scripts. Over the years there have been many intelligent people here write and submit scripts and haptek characters for use with Hal.
Do you know what happens to them? If you do not copy them for your own use, they just die away. I gave Robert full permission to claim and own the scripts that I have written so that they might be incorporated in future versions of Hal. I mean, that is why we spend the time and effort to create these scripts in the first place, isn't it. Some people have had some concerns and have asked for something in return. I can not abide by that unless it is a small mention of the contributors names in an accompaning text file.
Then the copyright laws come to mind again. How many of you have been asked to pay royalties on the Hal modified brains that you use and call your own? None that I know of. Of the many different Hal brains and personalities that exist out there, how many will run without the Hal interface which is compiled and completely owned by Robert? If anyone has ever had a right to call a foul it is Robert but being the type person he is, he never complains or charges us any fees for using his software no matter what we might choose to call it. Without the Hal user interface none of the other existing brains or personalilties could exist as they do today.
The purpose of the notice to ask all who have created either scripts of haptek characters to publicly post you permission for Robert to claim ownership without any restrictions of any kind. We must remember we are all here for the betterment of Hal which it seems we all love and use.
Thanks for your support.
Bill819

freddy888:
Well said, I'll add for my part that my meagre contributions, in comparisson to many, are given freely and with no strings.  Skins, Haps, or anything else I put out as 'free' are exactly that, do what you like!

I put my HAL skins in the download section as a personal 'thank you' to both Rob and also the people here that help with advice and so willingly make contributions.  If Rob wants to go so far as including anything I have put on this forum or in the downloads then please feel free.

Duskrider:

I am not a lawyer but i think anything not copyrighted or patented and given freely to the public becomes public domain.

I am pleased and honored if anything I contribute can be of use to anyone.  Anything I contribute I declare public domain.

Robert,
Should you wish a written document, you have our e-mail addresses.

[;)]

Art:
Ditto

Smokey:
Anything I may have contributed or will contribute in the future to this site may be used by Robert freely.

Smokey

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version