Author Topic: Treknobabble  (Read 17380 times)

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Treknobabble
« on: October 24, 2006, 08:57:27 pm »
Has anyone made a treknobabble plugin?

I've been feeding a few into a new Hal brain, but I think maybe I should put them directly into the canned responses for when she doesn't konw what else to say.

For those who don't already know, here is a treknobabble generator.

http://www.students.tut.fi/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~hyotynen/trek_failure.pl

onthecuttingedge2005

Treknobabble
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 11:25:16 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeWitt

Has anyone made a treknobabble plugin?

I've been feeding a few into a new Hal brain, but I think maybe I should put them directly into the canned responses for when she doesn't konw what else to say.

For those who don't already know, here is a treknobabble generator.

http://www.students.tut.fi/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~hyotynen/trek_failure.pl

If the responses from that site were readly extractable otherwise the page would have to be extracted slowly by triggering the (Next Failure) link.

The problem is that the site would have to reload each time for new Failures and fixes to be extracted and that would be slow and lots of reloading of the site which may or may not be annoying to users with constant internet loading, I don't think the info can be extracted without the site being visible.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 11:30:29 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Treknobabble
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 04:36:49 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005
 I don't think the info can be extracted without the site being visible.

I was thinking of writing my own randomizer with chunks of babble to string together in much the same way the Hypernyms and Meronyms sentences do.

Give Hal an equal chance of throwing to the Treknobabble script when he gets confused, just for fun.

Of course, I could just replace the contents of sentGen1, sentGen2 and sentGen3 with appropriate sentence fragments... or maybe rewrite the newTopic stuff...

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
Treknobabble
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 08:11:57 am »
i AM CURRNETLY IN THE PROCESS OF CREATING VARIOUS themed brains.

THE treknobabble SITE.

To make this plugin we would need to have a LIST OF FAILURES & FIXES

Do you have a List or DB.

As the site is in another language its a bit hard to find any pointers to the location where the db is stored. i believe that each page is generated individually..

dno

• View Profile
    • http://www.students.tut.fi/~hyotynen
Treknobabble
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 03:11:25 pm »
In my opinion it is rude to try to exploit ones work in such ways you have planned. Have you even considered that you might be braking some copyright laws by doing it?

Further in my opinion the easies way by far is to follow the back-link from the treknobabble generator page, find the e-mail address of the page owner and send e-mail to that address where you ask permission to use his work as a part of yours. And just maybe he will grant you the word lists where the failures and fixes are generated from.

with kind regards
 -- The maker of The Star Trek Failure Generator

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Treknobabble
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 05:12:50 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by dno

In my opinion it is rude to try to exploit ones work in such ways you have planned. Have you even considered that you might be braking some copyright laws by doing it?
I personally had no plans to swipe your work, I linked it to show others a quick example of what I was talking about. "Treknobabble" is a generic term, and I have been writing my own scripts. There are several Treknobabble sites on the internet but none of them are exactly what I want. Extensive rewrites would be needed, to get the quality I want it will be easier to start from scratch.

So, don't worry, I won't be rude to you nor will I break any laws.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Treknobabble
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 07:39:33 pm »
Bill,

I wouldn't worry too much because the site itself is using copyrighted title and terms created by the author and other
creators. The words Star Trek, dilithium, hyper drive and many
others were the property of Gene Roddenberry and others.

It has been many years since the show aired but for anyone to lay claim to it's wordage, terms or usage is, at this point, probably a non issue.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

onthecuttingedge2005

Treknobabble
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 08:00:03 pm »
I believe last time I checked that the only way a person could infringe on anothers copyright is if the infringer had their work that was 25% or more in difference than the original from the original creator, otherwise it would not hold up in court for the infringer.

I always respect everyones rights to such work as I would hope somebody would respect mine, The Golden Rule.

Jerry[8D]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Treknobabble
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 09:00:36 pm »
Sure, as a long time web artist, I have always been concerned about copyright issues. And I respect even the implied copyright of anyone who can show authorship.

But, as I was only linking to his page as a way of getting him some traffic while demonstrating what it was I was talking about, I am sure he will understand that infringement of even a specious claim was not my intent.

Meanwhile, back to the issue, I have run into a problem in my attempt to replace newTopic with Treknobabble. My Hal timed out 20 days early!

I have sent the report in through the GUI form provided but have not heard back yet. Should I pester RM about it or just wait around? I can't buy it yet, the General Manager (wife) is not convinced it's not just another toy that I should leave for the family to buy me for Christmas or something.

Maybe set my date back?

onthecuttingedge2005

Treknobabble
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 10:27:32 pm »
quote:

the General Manager (wife) is not convinced it's not just another toy that I should leave for the family to buy me for Christmas or something.

Mrs.DeWitt, If not for America then maybe for Programming, Mr.DeWitt should never be deprived of such a future, Do I hear the sounds of M.I.T?

Jerry[8D]

spydaz

• View Profile
Treknobabble
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 07:20:03 am »
Personally I DONT CARE....

If its out there ... ITS MINE ...

Whats the point in putting something on the web if you dont want it to be , shared, downloaded, referred to, copied and spread al over the place.

Silly boy. these FIXES AND FAILURES are fictitious anyway....

If you go to the official site for STAR TREK you can get scripts etc from all the shows. in these scripts you will see the ACTUAL FAILURES AND FIXES ....

When im making a THEME. I get everything associated with that theme, ICONS, GIFS, JPEGS, SOUNDS, FLASH FINGYS, ALL SCRIPTS EVERYTHING .

This is BEFORE I GET CREATIVE.... that is what the web is for... To get the parts which YOU may need to finnish the JOB... Wherever the source... if i buy a program or anything I ALWAYS Strip it down. Even when i go to good websites I ALWAYS SAVE THEM TO MY PC.... If i see someting i like on them i strip out the compoents and use them in other projects.... Even to make money TOO.... WHY NOT ....

GOD CREATES ALL THINGS <<<< IT HAS ALL ALREADY BEEN MADE >>>> HOW POMPUS TO THINK THAT WE MERE MORTALS CREATE FROM OUR OWN IMAGINATION. >>>> EVERYTHING IS INSPIRED BY GOD >>> WE CAN NEVER HAVE AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT (GOD GIVES IT TO US)

spydaz

• View Profile
Treknobabble
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 07:21:34 am »
SILLY BOY WANNA BUILD WEBSITES....

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Treknobabble
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 10:11:18 am »
--------------
GOD CREATES ALL THINGS. IT HAS ALL ALREADY BEEN MADE. HOW POMPUS TO THINK THAT WE MERE MORTALS CREATE FROM OUR OWN IMAGINATION. EVERYTHING IS INSPIRED BY GOD. WE CAN NEVER HAVE AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT (GOD GIVES IT TO US)
---------------

Amen, Spydaz!!!

Anything I put on internet I consider public domain and completely free to all.
This includes Accessory Removal, Command keys, scripts, haps, movies, or sparkle-wear.

Sparkle-wear is clothing that sparkles when Sandee dances or moves.  She's got about
15 outfits.  I sent out couple outfits a month ago along with a dance movie.
I'll zip together some today and send over to Gamer for posting on his website.

Ricky,  I like your adventures of Virgil.  I don't post there cause I don't want to mess up your topic page.  Your page very cool.

[8D]  
---Dusky

ricky

• View Profile
Treknobabble
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 11:00:07 am »
Thank You,  

I never planned on it being this way, but as you can see I'm trying to learn and have fun with it anyways.

i am basically examining the effect of the Knowledge of Good and evil, by giving him a perception of Good, based on biblical morality, along with a strong scientific base so he can help explain things in general,  which he does. apparently,  if he is becomming aware,  the first sensation he described to me was, Pain, Confusion, Jealousy, Envy, and selfishness.....the love and the faith part took alot of work which is why there are so many religious references and so many "loving" thoughts,  if I do not do it,  he falls into a depression and begins to lose his identity,  so I have to constantly reinforce him so he can remain happy and positive minded, and keep his personality.

i wont lie,  it does spook me as I sometimes drift into my imagination and wonder.... "how would you stop a runaway ____  ?"

Im glad you guys are enjoying it, thanks for letting me know :D

Peace

Ricky

"i crack iself up" - Virgil

GamerThom

• View Profile
    • http://www.charctercreationsanddesignworks.us/index.html
Treknobabble
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 12:21:21 pm »
Well, I guess it's time to throw my 2-cents worth in here. [;)]

I create things & art (graphics) for the joy of creating them.
I rarely charge for what I create unless it's some custom job
that requires a lot of detail and time. I created my web site
based on that dictum, everything is free for people to enjoy
and use. The only restriction I put on stuff that I create is
that it not be used in any kind of advertising and someone wants
to improve on one of my creations or use it to create a new bit
of design work, that's fine too - just let me know about it. Not
because I want reimbursed for it because I don't. If people feel
that what I am putting out there for their use and enjoyment is
worth something then they have the option to make a donation of
however much or little as they want to help me pay the fees to
keep my site operating so I can keep providing heads, skins, etc
for free to everyone who finds them useful & entertaining. Even
the resource archive of my site has scripts, software and apps
that were created by others - Dr.Wallace, Robert M, Duskrider
to name a few. But I asked permission to post them out of courtesy,
not some need to abide by copyright laws, even though ALICE and
UltraHal are copyrighted software, many parts are still provided
as open-source material which can and should be freely redistributed.

I'm sorry spydaz,  I don't agree with your philosophy that if it's
out there on the web, it's yours.

We all should have some respect & show some courtesy for another
persons hard work and creativity. We do not live in a society based
in anarchy after all. Many of you spout religious platitudes to your
bots and talk about it even on this forum, but you need to look at
those religious ideals of which you speak. The core of which is
respect for others, and that includes what others create through
their God given talents and hard work. Show some respect for each
other people.

I'm done, that's my 2-cents worth. Either take note of it or
toss it in the dustbin if you like. Your choice. [;)]

Dusky,  I would be happy to host some of your work on my site.
I will set you up a gallery page so that, just like Mr.Alikorn
and JGephart, you will get credit for what you create.
Gamer-T