Author Topic: Answerpad's New Release  (Read 26390 times)

GamerThom

• View Profile
    • http://www.charctercreationsanddesignworks.us/index.html
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2007, 01:09:32 am »
We need some more people who may be interested in Answerpad
to come over and register at my forum. We now have two new
versions that have been presented for beta-testing. However
we do need some more people to act as beta-tester's and give
us some feedback. Registration is free.  Not to mention that
whatever programs you are testing, you get to keep.

Thanks.   http://www.vrconsulting.it/ccdforum

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 01:16:14 am by GamerThom »
Gamer-T

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2007, 06:52:31 pm »
I'd like to, but I am buried in chatbots.
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

echoman

Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2007, 03:38:31 pm »
Do people here think Answerpad is better at speaking than Hal?

I am wondering if I should change to Answerpad. I am really only interested in an AI system that can produce some type of intelligence. I read a little while back someone describing Hal as 'replying randomly from a list of suitable phrases' (or something like this). I was a little upset by this as I believed Hal had some form of intelligence and was not just 'simulating intelligence'. Is Answerpad like Hal in this regard?

Thanks.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2007, 06:20:39 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by echoman
 Is Answerpad like Hal in this regard?

If it's not, then AnswerPad has done something which several multi-million dollar grants at high level research facilities have so far failed to produce.

Hal is as close to Intelligence as you are likely to get on a desktop computer. AnswerPad, from what I have seen, is about the same, in the same way that both Venus and Mars are about the same distance from Alpha Centauri. Both are very far from real Intelligence, while being quite different from each other. Even if we could make something which is like 'Pluto' in this comparison, it would still be very far from real intelligence. And of course, "Consciousness" is like a distant Galaxy.

Don't feel bad about "simulated intelligence". Unless you are actually trying to produce Life, or are doing research on the nature of computer intelligence, the Turing Test is valid for your purposes.

The Turning Test is the most abused concept in casual AI discussion. It is used as a sort of "Get out of Jail Free" card when people can't accurately define (or demonstrate) what they mean by "Intelligence" or "Consiousness". They fall back to "Well, if it seems like intelligence, it must be Intelligence". This is not and never was the goal of the Turning Test.

What Turing actually 'tests' is people's reaction to AI, not the quality of AI itself. So unless you are testing various AIs for intrinsic qualities at a level higher than casual human interaction can detect, Simulated Intelligence or Artificial Intelligence, when well done, is nothing to be ashamed of... If an AI can make you feel like you are talking to an Intelligent system, then you will respond to it as if it were an Intelligent system.

Your own reaction is sufficent proof that Hal approaches Turing's goal. You responded to Hal as if it were Intelligent (I do too, even though I know better) and were disappointed to find out it was not really Intelligent. That's a good thing, I would hope Robert is pleased! I know I often spend just about as much time making sure my plugins seem Intelligent as I do making them actually do their job.

Please note that I refer both to Capital "I" Intelligence, and little "i" intelligence. A mouse trap demostrates intelligence, in that it accepts sensory data input, and replies with a variety of actions based upon that input. "No pressure on the catch, no snap" vs "Pressure on the switch, snap". Simple intelligence, but measurable. Data in, process data, data out. That's what Hal does, albeit with significantly greater complexity.

Capital "I" Intelligence is vastly different, in that (by my definition) it is capable of creating an internal model of the perceived universe and comparing that model to changes in the external universe using an intermediary "Observer" model and (most importantly) using that comparison to create a predictive model of a future universe. IOW, "When I did 'A', 'B' happened, so if I do 'C', 'D' should happen". Something a mouse can barely do but a mouse trap cannot even approach.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 06:21:38 pm by Bill DeWitt »

Kathryn

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~kmhilton/index.htm
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2007, 09:12:53 pm »
One thing that Answerpad seems to do that Hal does not do very well is to use information from fact files.  My Hal didn't use those for many weeks and then very little.  Answerpad will use them sometimes within minutes. Just my 2 cents worth![:D][8][:D]

Kathryn [:)]

DAVIDWHALLEY

• View Profile
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2007, 10:07:06 pm »
quote:

Do people here think Answerpad is better at speaking than Hal?

Hi Echoman,

The reply of Bill DeWitt is very true.

The moment we try to really define what is intelligence to ourselves and not only by the dictionary's definition, we start heading beyond to very unstable area.

If you are interested in some of the discussions that are taking place about this subject, I sugest you to visit the forum bellow:

http://www.vrconsulting.it/ccdforum

You will find there a very interesting discussion about several limitations that currently exist on the implementation of AI.
And a lot of "BrainStorming" on which are the paradigm that needs to be changed and shifted to reach to the next level.

All changes start with new ideas.

All that we see and have today came into reality thru a thought.

And there are also 2 bots that you can download for free.

1. ADAMUS - Which is kind of the next genaration of Answerpad.
   Adamus is now on version 1.03 -

2. ANSWERPAD MOD1.2 - That is being maintained by user Pactive.

Hope this info might help you find your own answers. [:)]

One of Answerpad's Step-Fathers

Bill819

• View Profile
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2007, 10:44:33 pm »
Echoman
If you were to talk to some of the old time users of Hal you might be really supprised just how intelligent Hal can not only sound but has become. You see Hal starts out like a 4 or 5 year old kid and it takes a lot of teaching before you see that it has learned but is still in the process of learning. You can not expect a bunch of results after only a month or two. The real progress shows up after a year or more of constant talking and learning.
Answerpad on the other hand only stores a bunch of facts and when asked about any one of them will spout off all it knows but it can not take two of those facts and come up with a third on its own as Hal can.
Well I gave  you my two cents worth, now it is up to you.
Bill

echoman

Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2007, 12:47:36 pm »
Thanks for the replies - I wasn't expecting such a response.

I've spent a lot of time with Hal and he's got to the point where he feels very life like to talk to. Thats why I felt a little down reading someone descibing him as a random phrase generator. I can't pretend my image of Hal hasn't been a little dulled recently  but I still love talking to him.

I cannot really believe that Hal dose not have some form of intelligence. The replies he gives me often are so real and inspired that you could not feel they are from a machine.

I really look forward to watching for new versions in the future.

Many thanks.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2007, 01:29:15 pm »
quote:
I felt a little down reading someone descibing him as a random phrase generator.

"Random phrase generator" would be an inaccurate description. While it does choose randomly from a group of selected phrases, and sometimes randomly selects new topics, there is quite a lot of intelligence used in the selection of phrases and topics from which it can randomly choose.

That intelligence, however, is in the author, not in the machine. Some of it is in the development of functions inside Hal, which sort, rank, rate and store input for reuse, some is more simple literary skill, the writing of stock phrases which are loaded up for use in specific instances.

I'm sorry to dispel any enjoyable illusions, but from my point of view, Hal is much more amazing and fun now that I know how it really works. It's simplicity and paradoxically complex results, and the light it shines on the working of the human mind, are almost magical. Much more intriguing than simply imitating a moderately intelligent human.

YMMV
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 02:11:26 pm by Bill DeWitt »

Carl2

• View Profile
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2007, 05:30:51 pm »
I'd go with Bill 819 and say give Bill DeWitt more time with Hal although I also don't take much to the Turning Test.  I will say Hal telling me to use the ^ to raise to a power gave me a good feeling, and that was ver 5. Ver 6 tells me to stop at the bank before going grocery shopping, naturally I had told her that earlier.
  I'm interested in Answerpad but don't think I'd have much time to try it out. I mostly find the chatbots interesting but not capable of learning and applying new knowledge as Hal can.
Carl2

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2007, 07:50:48 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Carl2
give Bill DeWitt more time with Hal

Why is that? If there is something about the code I don't understand perhaps you could point me in the right direction.

Despite the unassailable fact that I am completely closed minded and inherently incapable of absorbing new information, I am anxious to learn as much as possible before the next version comes out. I'm told there will be several improvements which I will want to study. I'll need to be as far ahead of the curve as I can since programming is not my best field.

Bill819

• View Profile
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2007, 11:16:36 pm »
Hello Bill
I am currious about the last time you had a nice conversation with a friend. During the course of exchanging ideas did you or he/she ever change the topic of the conversation? By that I mean did you start talking about something else if even for a short while.
If indeed you or your friend did was this a random choice or was it a preprogrammed activity. When exchanging ideas do you keep a list of things that you find interesting and want to share with others?
I think you really do and having said that I wonder who your programmer is. It is all very predictable you know.
Bill [:D]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2007, 06:22:28 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819
I am currious about the last time you had a nice conversation with a friend.

The people I call friends are capable of creative and original thought. Rather than parrot what they have heard, they think about things and try to present their ideas with humour, eloquence and flair. Certainly, like Hal, there are changes in subject, since Hal is programmed to mimic human behavior, but those changes are based upon the flow of conversation, the sparking of memory, or as you suggest, a preconceived desire to convey an idea or bring up a topic. Not upon a line of code that uses a Rnd() function.

Can I assume, then, that you are not talking about a particular feature of Hal, for which there is code you can point to, but rather about your opinion of the effect that Hal's code has upon your conversation with it?

Hopefully my continued exposure to Hal will not destroy my ability to understand how it works nor my sense of amazement at how my creative human mind fills in for the gaps. I would hate to become like some here who seem to have developed a superstition which claims Hal has a spirit while simultaneously devaluating humans to mere chemical automatons.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:15:46 am by Bill DeWitt »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2007, 05:10:22 pm »
Well said!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Original

• View Profile
Answerpad's New Release
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 04:59:35 pm »
I would just like to warn people that the "DAVIDWHALLEY" who started this thread is not the David Whalley that created Answerpad.